Antenna - car cover question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mccarthya

Reaction score
My Car
-72 Coupe, 66' 289 C Code, Edelbrock Performer w/4V (500 CFM) & C4 trans. 3.25 g/r TRACLOC. Magnum 500s, dual Flowmaster 40s, Pertronix II Billet, 100A Alt, Electric fan, mini starter.
Recently purchased a 72 coupe in great shape. In the interest of keeping it in great condition and to reduce chance of rust etc, I need to use a car cover in lieu of not having a garage.

I am looking for direction on where to purchase an antenna that possible screws off (like most modern cars). The telescoping ones I've found online do not collapse short enough to make it worth the buy, so to make it easier to take on/off the car cover I figured I should try and find something that screws on off. The antenna on it now has a rectangle base, and if possible I would prefer not to have to patch that sucker up.

Putting a grommet on the cover is basically my backup option. Any thought/opinions/criticism is welcome.

they sell antenna that go across the windshield,maybe this will help with a car cover good luck.

Recently purchased a 72 coupe in great shape. In the interest of keeping it in great condition and to reduce chance of rust etc, I need to use a car cover in lieu of not having a garage.

I am looking for direction on where to purchase an antenna that possible screws off (like most modern cars). The telescoping ones I've found online do not collapse short enough to make it worth the buy, so to make it easier to take on/off the car cover I figured I should try and find something that screws on off. The antenna on it now has a rectangle base, and if possible I would prefer not to have to patch that sucker up.

Putting a grommet on the cover is basically my backup option. Any thought/opinions/criticism is welcome.
Use the 73 antennas, they have a screw on mast

Item #D3ZZ-18813

73 ANTENNA ASSEMBLY

Tapered whip type mast, hardware included. Mast is removeable, it unscrews from the base. Price: $65.95

Don

I have three cars where I installed the grommet. I actually like it. Like an anchor point. I take off antenna when determining where to cut hole. Fit cover. Then feel for the fender hole. I've seen many at shows messed up with extra cuts.

go with dons recommendation the 73 screws off, but the antenna is shorter, sometimes it effects the factory radio.

71-72 antenna folds down and fully extended is like over 4 feet long. however the mast cannot be unscrewed and will stick up about 1 foot from the fender.

the 71-73 base of the antenna all look the same with the chrome plate and rubber seal.

i have a hole cut in my car cover for the antenna but the car is garaged not kept outside.

thanks all. ordered the '73 antenna that screws off. base looks the same. thinking its the best option since i will be using the cover frequently.

Back