Driving pet-peeves...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

It aggravates me when in just typical driving situations I encounter an idiot driver who should never be on the road. Here are a few examples of what really gets me agitated:

1) When a driver on a busy two-lane comes to a COMPLETE stop in the continuous traffic lane to allow a person at a stop sign on a side street to enter traffic. This is dangerous to every driver around. Misguided courtesy can still be a bad thing.

2) When a driver in front of me is turning right on a continuous turn, and has thier OWN LANE, yet comes to a complete stop to watch for merging traffic. This tends to back up traffic for 20 cars or so unnecessarily.

3) Those that won't make a left turn on an unprotected left because they don't have the dedicated arrow, even though there is plenty of room and time to make the turn. I'm talking about where left turns across oncoming traffic is allowed with caution on a green light, where there is also a green arrow.

I'm sure there are plenty that get to some of you too...

For me - almost any drivers in Dallas or Houston Texas. I am suprised road rage there doesn't drop the population count by at least 20% / year!

Your peeve #2 is a big one here in OKC.

Ray

For me it's the high horse middle aged woman, driving a huge suburban, 1 child, always yacking on the phone driving down the road with thier turn signal on.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it's:

1 people who feel the need to come to a near complete stop when turning into a parking lot.

2 people who drive the speed limit in the passing lane

3 people who pass you, then slow down.

4 people who speed up as you are passing them

5 people who don't know squat about round-a-bouts.

How about getting behind an idiot in a new car, on a 2-lane road, that is driving 15 mph under the speed limit and weaving all over the road, while they are trying to figure out how the radio or AC works?

1) Going down the interstate merging ramp and the driver stops at the bottom!

2) Anyone that is texting, you can always tell as they speed up and slow down. Sometimes they weave around in the lane.

3) Guy/gal in the passing lane that his cruise control set 0.1 mph faster than the guy in the righthand lane.

4) Crappy Cutlass, Caprice, Regals with tires and rims that are 5X more expensive than the car itself.

5) Guy that has to speed in front of you only to exit across three lanes of traffic without signalling.

6) Anyone playing their music so loud that I can hear it driving down the interstate with my windows closed.

For me, it's:

1 people who feel the need to come to a near complete stop when turning into a parking lot.

2 people who drive the speed limit in the passing lane

3 people who pass you, then slow down.

4 people who speed up as you are passing them

5 people who don't know squat about round-a-bouts.
You nailed it for me CZ..lol..I have the most issues with that...Specialy here in WA. Idiots drive in the passing lane going slower alot than the speed limit..I watch cops just ignor it while people are piled up on them..I really wish our cops would crack down on that like in Oregon...In Oregon you will get hit with a ticket real fast for driving in the passing lane for no good reason..lol..I started not driving on the freeway here cause of that..I rather take the old highway and back roads...Cause i noticed how pissed and stressed i would get by the idiot drivers "plus if they hit me i rather it be 50mph instead of 70"

I use to say we got the worst drivers in the world in my area "as a joke" My brother is a truck driver and goes coast to coast and logged over 3 million miles..He said you are not far off..the worst ones he runs into is right here in good ol Washington state..lol..But i know, idiots on the roads are everywere ;)

1. Failure to dim lights... coming at you.

2. Failure to dim headlights behind you with added rage bonus points for dimming to oncoming traffic then returning to brights.

3. Idiot in jacked up 4WD who does dim only to have the factory "fog / driving" lights come on and blind you.

4. Multiple car passing from behind me when I'm pulling out to pass. (Happens a lot in farm country when the tractors are out)

5. Jacksticks that feel it is far better to have a head-on collision than to straddle an animal carcass.

6. The "bobber" 4 cars back that constantly weaves in and out looking for the moment to pass despite the fact that it's hill country and there will be no such moment for miles.

7. Cruise control races on the dual lane.

8. That awkward moment on a dual lane when the person behind you catches up from a long way away, pulls out to pass, then rides along beside you for no apparent reason. (WTF?)

9. Tailgaters, sort of bother me, but because I can screw with them, it relieves some of the stress.

The person that you pull out in front of with plenty of time to do so who sees you then speeds up to close the gap then rides your tail.

I usually drive slower then pull over to let them have that ONE car length that meant so much to them.

Tailgaters are annoying, but they're easy to annoy too...if I get one up my ass and I'm all ready moving fast enough to pass most traffic to begin with then I DON'T MOVE!

I just keep going the exact same speed I was before they got up my ass and if there's traffic I KNOW that drives them nuts more than anything......plus often times even if they manage to get around they usually get hung up in other traffic where I end up catching and/or passing them.

I would sorta like to have a bumper sticker for them that says something like "if you can read this, remember the accident we're going to have will still be your fault no matter when I choose to have it"...but I always sorta thought someone could use that against me after an accident if I did,lol

Otherwise what gets to me is people that can't even drive the speed limit (especially in the faster lanes) but more-over people that just seem to have no idea where they're going or what they're doing in the car. People that dive for exists, race to pass me on a merging lane (only to end up right next to me), people that don't try to get up to speed on onramps, and people that swap lanes a dozen times right up until they realize what turn/exist they want.

Cause at least w/ me, I always make sure to know (at least relatively) where I'm going, and with resources like GPS, sites like google maps, or an old fashioned paper map....you don't really have much of an excuse to be lost in this day and age.

For me it's being stuck behind a driver going 35 merging onto a 60MPH freeway.
THIS!!!1! People do not understand the concept of merging in this state. It's like they are deathly afraid of pushing on the gas pedal. They don't get that you need to be at the speed of freeway traffic BEFORE the end of the on ramp. Then once you are there, they need to adjust the speed of their vehicle to fit in between the cars already on the freeway. So what you get, is cars on the freeway see their slow ass preparing to cut off traffic (merge) on the freeway doing maybe 45 mph. Everyone speeds up to cut off the merging traffic because they don't want to be stuck behind the slowass.. And the gong show begins..

They guy who just won't let anyone overtake and mores across to the centre to stop anyone trying. Tail gaters. 90% of all car drivers when your on a bike.
Bike riders who drive down the middle of the traffic lane. Especially on a rural road. Then I see the same bike riders, who think they are automobiles driving down the middle of the road, run the red lights and stop signs at intersections. If they feel they have every right to the road, then obey the dang traffic like the rest of us do!

Same for those on the drunk bikes (scooters that barely go 30 mph).

1. People who drive with their blinker on when they aren't making any turns. They make me nervous.

2. People who are taking a right on a high speed road and make a complete stop before turning to let someone out of their road. I almost rear-ended someone when they did this.

3. Tailgaters obviously, especially when driving the Mustang.

4. People who don't yield at a yield sign and then yell profanities at you when you pass on the main road.

And plenty of the things you guys already mentioned

One that bugs me at times...Is the people who act like they are driving super safe, braking around every corner and driving slightly under the speed limit,,, Then you get to a stop sign "the most dangerous spot usually" and they run the stop sign!! I have run into a few drivers like that...I just wanna follow them and wait till they stop..and ask, you drive so safe, yet run a stop sign? lol Why? ;)

1. People who come to a full stop at crosswalks when no one is even is sight of the crosswalk. I live next to a bike trail and this drives me crazy.

2. People who come to a full stop to cross a speed hump (not speed bump). Again, drives me crazy.

Unfortunately, this is within a block of my house and I have to deal with it EVERY DAY :)

I work on a Navy base, where it is mandatory to stop if there is anyone crossing the road on foot. I deliberately stay off of the road until the road is free of cars and then I proceed to walk. It is amazing how many cars stop for pedestrians before the pedestrian is even close to entering the roadway. I'm not going to risk my body against a 4000 pound vehicle simply by walking into a crosswalk and hoping they stop.

So...I approach the crosswalk, staying at least 5' from the roadway, and wait until the cars are through and clear. When they stop, I wave them on through, and they seem puzzled by that.

You only have to stop for pedestrians when they actually enter the crosswalk.

Back