WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I am Currently restomoding a 71 Fastback. I designed a wide-body kit for the rear of the car and a more aggressive front nose. The back of the car is 6 inches wider than stock to accommodate the 315 on 12 inch rims.
Hello fellow mustang lovers. Name is Angelo and last year February I purchased my 71 fastback. My schooling and current profession has to do with art and design and my hobby and passion is putting attitude into my cars using my love for shapes and design. The 71-73 mustang in my opinion has lines that say more than many other cars out there, old and new alike. I like a little bit of a challenge and my first restomod was my 68 coupe. I've had the car for 8yrs now and enjoy it very much but this 71 is my real challenge.

Welcome, I had 2 65's before now and I agree that the lines are certainly unique and speak to you in a different way than the original coupe. I quite enjoy looking at it and oddly enough my Green 72 gets more attention than my Burnt orange metallic coupe did and that car was beautiful.

6572_1138388912208_1774574_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0098.JPGIMG_1370.jpgIMG_5027.jpegIMG_5033.jpeg

Welcome, I had 2 65's before now and I agree that the lines are certainly unique and speak to you in a different way than the original coupe. I quite enjoy looking at it and oddly enough my Green 72 gets more attention than my Burnt orange metallic cupe did and that car was beautiful.
Its a treat when there are so few around. Its like seeing a ghost when i see one in my travels which is hardly ever and thats why i thought i should have one.

I hope i don't offend the purists but i felt a more aggressive look is what i see for this car and that is why i started on this body mod journey with a simple fastback (no MACH 1's were injured in the creation of this project LOL). The person i purchased the car from gave the car a Mach 1 appearance. I then lowered it, put taller tires, blacked out the magnums and drove it for the summer but December is when the changes really started.

You may want to look away.

IMG_2155.JPGIMG_2286.jpgIMG_2287.jpgFirst i spent 6 months looking for the perfect wheel and then the rubber. Not an easy task considering the specific odd sizes i wanted. Then i had to cut off the rear quarter flare just to accommodate the 29" tall and nearly 14" wide tires. Once i was sure where they were going to live i started to weld up my bird cage structure around them to create my new rear quarters ( about 3" wider per side). That then evolved into extending the length of the rear of the car about 2" to where i felt it would work best to get my look creating a deep dish light panel.

IMG_2114.jpgIMG_2406.JPGI then skinned the cage with cardboard and resin. This is before and after. The shapes changes are obvious but are still far from accurate at this point. This is just a base to build on. This was all done from just before christmas 2013 and went to the body shop where my friend Danny and I create the final lines ready for moulds to be made.

IMG_2875.JPGIMG_2696.jpgAn idea of how the car sits after the mods.

Wow, that is awesome. More power to you man. Please keep posting progress on this build. Very interested to see how this turns out. Also really love the look of the front grill all blacked out with the pony on one side like that. How did you do it?

Thanks and welcome from Central Cali

IMG_2890.jpgIMG_2367.jpgThe latest SEMA show unveiled these awesome seats. The Mustang Shop in Calgary got them in for me and i was impressed by the quality of the workmanship especially for the reasonable cost. TMI XR sport is what they're called.

Looks like good progress. The ring brothers did a wide body 65ish fastback, really got me thinking how good our car would look about 4" wider. The method I came up with but haven't initiated is a bit different, my way consisted cutting certain points on the fenders, doors, and quarter panels to weld in 2" of extra sheet metal for width on each side of the car. Either way, keep up the good work!

Wouahhh never saw this kind of body work, very impressive, gives a more agressive look for sure.

I know somebody who blacked out his magnums, he is from Luxembourg, he will post very soon I'm sure :)

Oh I forgot, welcome of course.

Looks like good progress. The ring brothers did a wide body 65ish fastback, really got me thinking how good our car would look about 4" wider. The method I came up with but haven't initiated is a bit different, my way consisted cutting certain points on the fenders, doors, and quarter panels to weld in 2" of extra sheet metal for width on each side of the car. Either way, keep up the good work!
That would look awesome. I'd love to see that done. I'm going for a more wide butt look on this one. I'm actually trying to have the facia appear narrower to give the whole car a more arrow head shape visually. I'm doing everything in glass so that it will be reproducible and make it available to anyone who likes it when I'm done. If I could describe what I'm after, I would say knowing how cool the 67 Eleanor turned out to be in the movie, Gone in 60 Seconds, I wonder what the first Eleanor would look like if it were redone and back on the street and then hope I did the car justice.

image.jpg A few shots of our progress

image.jpg Added in a brake cooling duct

image.jpgShelby inspired duck tail in place of the rear wing means a whole new deck lid and quarter end caps

image.jpg Working out the exhaust ports in the lower valance for the custom tips

I am very impressed with your work. I think the end product is going to be a very unique eyecatcher. I like the little twist on the truck lid to give it a shape change that really sports it up. The 68 is a thing of beauty as well. Would love either of your cars. Wish I had the time, skill and vision to carve a car up like that and make it beautiful and dramatically different. Looking forward to the updates. The front is a thing of beauty as well. WOW!

I am very impressed with your work. I think the end product is going to be a very unique eyecatcher. I like the little twist on the truck lid to give it a shape change that really sports it up. The 68 is a thing of beauty as well. Would love either of your cars. Wish I had the time, skill and vision to carve a car up like that and make it beautiful and dramatically different. Looking forward to the updates. The front is a thing of beauty as well. WOW!
Thanks for fuelling the fire.

Back