WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

Hello fellow mustang lovers. Name is Angelo and last year February I purchased my 71 fastback. My schooling and current profession has to do with art and design and my hobby and passion is putting attitude into my cars using my love for shapes and design. The 71-73 mustang in my opinion has lines that say more than many other cars out there, old and new alike. I like a little bit of a challenge and my first restomod was my 68 coupe. I've had the car for 8yrs now and enjoy it very much but this 71 is my real challenge.

• Like 1

Welcome, I had 2 65's before now and I agree that the lines are certainly unique and speak to you in a different way than the original coupe. I quite enjoy looking at it and oddly enough my Green 72 gets more attention than my Burnt orange metallic coupe did and that car was beautiful.

6572_1138388912208_1774574_n.jpg.774000b6223f95eaf6bf9a11d4fb8462.jpg

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

IMG_0098.thumb.JPG.e207bd010235e3e8685d19405ad62d72.JPGIMG_1370.thumb.jpg.9fd8a3811e85e5528b9218fd52faed7c.jpgIMG_5027.thumb.jpeg.be4eae7f2615f9a762985b04a701d259.jpegIMG_5033.thumb.jpeg.ad73bd70e1076426e0fe3f6497047702.jpeg

Welcome, I had 2 65's before now and I agree that the lines are certainly unique and speak to you in a different way than the original coupe. I quite enjoy looking at it and oddly enough my Green 72 gets more attention than my Burnt orange metallic cupe did and that car was beautiful.

Its a treat when there are so few around. Its like seeing a ghost when i see one in my travels which is hardly ever and thats why i thought i should have one.

I hope i don't offend the purists but i felt a more aggressive look is what i see for this car and that is why i started on this body mod journey with a simple fastback (no MACH 1's were injured in the creation of this project LOL). The person i purchased the car from gave the car a Mach 1 appearance. I then lowered it, put taller tires, blacked out the magnums and drove it for the summer but December is when the changes really started.

You may want to look away.

IMG_2155.thumb.JPG.1a5e4efd290e6ed2f1a5a8601334d92b.JPGIMG_2286.thumb.jpg.ad9f91ee6fedf85530153761185bcb21.jpgIMG_2287.thumb.jpg.acbf2be7bc711452df319bae7707594f.jpgFirst i spent 6 months looking for the perfect wheel and then the rubber. Not an easy task considering the specific odd sizes i wanted. Then i had to cut off the rear quarter flare just to accommodate the 29" tall and nearly 14" wide tires. Once i was sure where they were going to live i started to weld up my bird cage structure around them to create my new rear quarters ( about 3" wider per side). That then evolved into extending the length of the rear of the car about 2" to where i felt it would work best to get my look creating a deep dish light panel.

IMG_2114.thumb.jpg.87470d61e62c2d511b0331b42b73344e.jpgIMG_2406.thumb.JPG.9613a36d5a6a756e650e19bb2761c5f6.JPGI then skinned the cage with cardboard and resin. This is before and after. The shapes changes are obvious but are still far from accurate at this point. This is just a base to build on. This was all done from just before christmas 2013 and went to the body shop where my friend Danny and I create the final lines ready for moulds to be made.

IMG_2875.thumb.JPG.5fbbae5414f255157eaa9b541dbb542c.JPGIMG_2696.thumb.jpg.b155d597cc345bc2fe7c020bfa9f1e1f.jpgAn idea of how the car sits after the mods.

• Like 1

Wow, that is awesome. More power to you man. Please keep posting progress on this build. Very interested to see how this turns out. Also really love the look of the front grill all blacked out with the pony on one side like that. How did you do it?

Thanks and welcome from Central Cali

- Lee

IMG_2890.thumb.jpg.2a3dbc9a5e44cc7439e554797c11b479.jpgIMG_2367.thumb.jpg.06fff34fdbeea2534c9046f5dc91fad5.jpgThe latest SEMA show unveiled these awesome seats. The Mustang Shop in Calgary got them in for me and i was impressed by the quality of the workmanship especially for the reasonable cost. TMI XR sport is what they're called.

Looks like good progress. The ring brothers did a wide body 65ish fastback, really got me thinking how good our car would look about 4" wider. The method I came up with but haven't initiated is a bit different, my way consisted cutting certain points on the fenders, doors, and quarter panels to weld in 2" of extra sheet metal for width on each side of the car. Either way, keep up the good work!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

Pretty cool. Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Wouahhh never saw this kind of body work, very impressive, gives a more agressive look for sure.

I know somebody who blacked out his magnums, he is from Luxembourg, he will post very soon I'm sure :)

Oh I forgot, welcome of course.

Mustang, beer and rock'nroll

Looks like good progress. The ring brothers did a wide body 65ish fastback, really got me thinking how good our car would look about 4" wider. The method I came up with but haven't initiated is a bit different, my way consisted cutting certain points on the fenders, doors, and quarter panels to weld in 2" of extra sheet metal for width on each side of the car. Either way, keep up the good work!

That would look awesome. I'd love to see that done. I'm going for a more wide butt look on this one. I'm actually trying to have the facia appear narrower to give the whole car a more arrow head shape visually. I'm doing everything in glass so that it will be reproducible and make it available to anyone who likes it when I'm done. If I could describe what I'm after, I would say knowing how cool the 67 Eleanor turned out to be in the movie, Gone in 60 Seconds, I wonder what the first Eleanor would look like if it were redone and back on the street and then hope I did the car justice.

image.thumb.jpg.b22c7fe0c8190cb160768ad8505d87f8.jpg A few shots of our progress

image.thumb.jpg.890a7c8f01907549bb8c41a572e04521.jpg Added in a brake cooling duct

image.thumb.jpg.daac8ca7d7a33d2da934706513b2e92e.jpgShelby inspired duck tail in place of the rear wing means a whole new deck lid and quarter end caps

image.thumb.jpg.22e51ee49576b3315fd5fe99c59e3b1f.jpg Working out the exhaust ports in the lower valance for the custom tips

Welcome to the club from northern Nevada. Nice work. :)

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

I am very impressed with your work. I think the end product is going to be a very unique eyecatcher. I like the little twist on the truck lid to give it a shape change that really sports it up. The 68 is a thing of beauty as well. Would love either of your cars. Wish I had the time, skill and vision to carve a car up like that and make it beautiful and dramatically different. Looking forward to the updates. The front is a thing of beauty as well. WOW!

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

I am very impressed with your work. I think the end product is going to be a very unique eyecatcher. I like the little twist on the truck lid to give it a shape change that really sports it up. The 68 is a thing of beauty as well. Would love either of your cars. Wish I had the time, skill and vision to carve a car up like that and make it beautiful and dramatically different. Looking forward to the updates. The front is a thing of beauty as well. WOW!

Thanks for fuelling the fire.

Awsome u da man

and Welcome from SF East Bay CA!

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

When I saw this post I wasn't expecting high quality work like this because I have never seen it done, or posted on a forum.. I will be watching this thread, this is amazing. Can't wait to see more pics!

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

The guy with the blacked out Magnums would be me but it´s only temporary to keep the car on the road while I´m waiting for my new tires to put the 18 inch rims back on.

:)

Nice work! I´m really looking forward to the final result. I already like the air ducts in the quarters and the front fascia.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Welcome to the site from west Michigan!

That is a real cool concept. Keep progress pics coming, that's going to be a real head turner.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

When I saw this post I wasn't expecting high quality work like this because I have never seen it done, or posted on a forum.. I will be watching this thread, this is amazing. Can't wait to see more pics!

+1 not what I was expecting! Wide body 71-73s bring to mind some image of a funky ole drag car or those fiberglass panels Kurt can't seem to give away in the "pay it forward" section.

The level of craftsmanship put into this is sure to result in an amazing work of art. Thread should be "wide body done right!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

509772483_screen2.thumb.png.7ca0cdd31a47cef079a5864e92dff21b.pngA little side by side to see the extent of the changes.The new design include creating what i call my version of a "SHELBY" "R CODE" front facia. Something you would see on a 66 or 68 transam race car only its for a 71-73. Next thing i did was snip the tips of the bumper brackets a couple of inches back and designed a new bumper that looks a little more like a 70 Shelby bumper meaning leaner and tighter to the body. I then pushed the light buckets back to the rad support, about 3" or so as well as the grill. I took this opportunity to remove the vertical supports that hold the hood latch receptacle since im going with the Areofoil locking hood mounted latches ( in place of the stock twist down locks) Rectangular Inner grill lights will probably become clear driving lights and the marker lights will be relocated in the all in one halogen head lights. I was contemplating removing the rectangular lights in the grill all together but there are some styling Q's that make a 71 a 71 and thats one of them.The car has to be instantly recognizable as a 71 Mach only it needs to look like its been on a heavy round of steroids. Lol. In other words, my muscle car's muscles needs more muscles