WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

Maybe you should get some exhaust tips made by a metal fabricator, so they have that shape as the hole has. It would be a shame just to install some round ones! By the way, it looks amazing what you have done in that time I have'nt been online! What kind of parts did you end with installing to lower the car? :)

Hi buddy. How's your car coming? I'm excited to see what your up to.

I would agree with you on fabricating custom tips. Don't really know any fabricators but that will need to change. To make a tip would be easy enough to do myself but with a rolled lip or some sort of nice edge is where my abilities fall short I think.

My rear suspension was always going to remain leaf springs so I purchased a pair of slider boxes with roller bearings to replace the sloppy shackles. Lowered leafs and blocks and finishing it with a sway bar in back. Comes to about a 3.5" drop. Same set up on my 68 and it handles great.

Up front has a set of tubular 1" drop a arms and a set of drop springs finished with a corresponding sway bar. Since I'm trying to build the most car I can and not bleed money I think I did well spending about $1200 U.S. for all of it Shipped to my door in Toronto.

I have not been working much on it for a while! But I have just made a deal today, I found a new build 351c with 400-450hp where I will be installing EFI and hopefully a serpentine kit from March Performance. And I am looking for a 4R70W automatic transmission with 4 gears instead of an old C6. I am trying to find ways to save some money so I can be sure to finish this car in a short time as I got an invitation to a big car show in Norway in 2017. So the 393w shortblock got traded for a complete 351c and I got money in that deal also so I can buy the EFI system from Holley! :D

Hopefully I will be starting on the body again really soon!

Thanks for the info on your suspension, sounds awesome and I like the idea of how much stance and comfort you can get for that kind of money, well done my friend! :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

Daniel that invitation sounds like it would be a great place to unveil your masterpiece. I tell you my friend I am surrounded by many many big money builds with over 650hp that my friends have and just about all the honest friends all tell me it's really a handful driving this big powered cars on the streets. Almost not enjoyable and the biggest investment of all ends up being in the gas tank. I always said I loved huge power, when someone else owns it. Lol. I had the opportunity to go with big power but opted not to because to me 450 hp., planted to the ground is a lot of hp. for the street. I think you made a great move and fuel injected is even better. Good luck with the tranny. If your diff gears work well with the tranny and tire hieght, 400-450 hp will throw that car since the 351 makes great torque as well. My 347 should make 450 hp/ 400 ft/lbs torque at around 5000rpm. TKO2 5 speed with a 4:10 gear and it shouldn't be any kind of a poser car but drive able. Hope you get back on it soon.

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpg.3ef478576b81c6bac4ee99a7eba8e108.jpgHi all. I'm taking this new direction for the rear spoiler/ ducktail because it was just too tame to me. I'm inspired by the Lola T70 from 1969. These cars just make me crazy. The flat back on the 71 can support this aggressive look and i feel it gives the back of the car a racier feel.

image.thumb.jpg.47ccbe4cf9c02d48279609bc97eca7ae.jpgThe whole length of the ducktail will be bonded to the car and painted body colour but the two smaller raised pieces will be made of aluminum and with slide up and down in the ducktail for adjustability.

image.jpg.861a1c86fe9e2d09b88eb8abedac965e.jpgThe ducktail in this photo is the direction I'm looking at. Could there be a more inspiring car? I'm also going with a similar colour scheme but in Alcopolco Blue and White 71ish decals.

image.thumb.jpg.94f67c3834df3795100e492a593450f9.jpgOR......

image.thumb.jpg.603525a489355584034ee49bce9a0f8f.jpg....is a cleaner look with no aluminum fins popping up better?

image.thumb.jpg.d5fc2d1d0c180e584be314e53b261f62.jpgIts a tough call here looking at it and these phone cameras distort things but I'd like to here from you all if I should slot it and slip in the aluminum fins on the ends. It seems to sacrifice clean and thick look for a racy and more abstract look. Or do I go with straight across and clean. One more option is to leave it the way it was but I think I'd rather go one of these ways even though I just added enough hours to kill my paint goals entirely. Oh well.

I prefer the second one with the straight top edge.

Cool. Thx. Mike

image.thumb.jpg.b58412a21b2a74a9fef0e05bec10f624.jpgI forgot to mention that I found a local place that manufactures this 1/2" hexagon mesh grill that I will be using up front.

image.thumb.jpg.e6faa43ec8aabfad7f169989b3892432.jpgand this 1/4" grill for all the other scoop and exhaust openings. Not cheap but definitely worth it.

Thinking about it all night and I think in this case less is more. Car actually looks better without a more radical ducktail but I guess unless I got it out of my head and on the car to see I would never be satisfied. Part of the process I guess. Something a more trained eye would have known without having to go through the motions I guess. I liked the simpler version I came u with but it didn't add more than the lines it disturbed.

Um Did anyone notice this car is featured in Mustang Monthly?

Way cool!

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1602-radical-widebody-1971-ford-mustang/

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Angelo...dude!. I just sat on my ass and toasted a whole Saturday afternoon reading this thread, cover to cover. I couldn't stop. Unfrickinbelievable!!!!

I am so impressed with your eye for design and then the ability to bring your designs to life. The most impressive characteristic you have modeled throughout this thread is your humble character. You always seem to deflect the compliments thrown your way in a manner that is very endearing. It is a special few that are able to see and create "cool" and not come off as arrogant. That, truly defines cool. A tear literally came to my eye reading your post on the eve of your father's birthday, as we and I'm sure many other here on the 7173, share similar father/son memories.

Your children are lucky and I'm sure, your father would be proud.

Eric

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

Hi all. Was away from the electronic world for one week. Shut off all devices and spent quality time with my family on a fun vacation and I missed some cool comments from you. I'm excited to see the write up in the Mustang Monthly magazine. An honour and a treat. Eric Wow. You spent all that time going over my thread. Very nice. Thx. Time given to someone else, when it could be spent in any other direction, is a well received gift in my eyes. My dad once said," your money in this life has already been made, you just need to go get it. Don't put too much value on dollars. Time is the commodity that needs to be used up with some thought. Don't throw it around because it's free. "

So thanks for your time and comments. Hope to get back on the body details within the week or I will miss the paint deadline I set for myself. It's not written in stone but without a carrot this donkey doesn't move lol.

2nd spoiler looks awesome mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Chopper

2nd spoiler if you decide to make one, it is very close to what I have in mind for mine... just as soon as I wrap up the hundred other projects I have left first.

Nick, should look sick on your ride. In my case I'm not sure if it helps the other body mods pop or if it takes away from my original vision. I needed to go through the process so I could photograph it and do side by side comparisons.

image.thumb.jpeg.81a89a081780aafccfce0ba3dee94f4f.jpegI don't know if it's because I'm used to seeing it there for so many years or if it's because there are times where you shouldn't question the original design, but either way I was dead set against using the rear wing in the new design and now it's going back on. I really like what it does for the cars overall race appeal and body lines. The only two changes I'm going to make is to have two CNC billet blocks made to raise the pedestals 1.5" and I'm going to set the whole thing back 4.5" from the original mounting holes. And to think I almost sold it along with the louvers. Never would have tried it on the car again.

image.thumb.jpeg.3440bf65eecdbc44c33b220da2509fd9.jpegIt feels like it's going to give me the height and chunky look I'm trying to achieve and still look familiar at a glance. Bingo.

To get a ducktail to accomplish that for me wouldn't just look chunky, it would be chunky. Props to the Ford designers.

image.thumb.jpeg.e0d16e79987f4bc93265600fd9a37326.jpegIt happens to work with the wide body because the wing is set so far back that the quarters tapper to meet the ends of the wing. If the wing was set back the same distance on a stock trunk lid, only the first stud would be on the trunk and the second would hang off the back. How's that for bringing even more length to what appears to be an already long car lol. Actually, on that topic I thought I should mention that I measured both my 68 coupe ( with the Shelby front nose ) and this car before I started making any changes and they were nearly the same length. 2" longer for the 71. The design really fools the eye into thinking it's such s big car but it really isn't.

image.jpeg.837f0a9a463f6a8cc55bd1c41988a0fb.jpegI always get a kick out of looking at this side by side. Makes the new mustang look like a bit of a minivan.

I don't know if it's because I'm used to seeing it there for so many years or if it's because there are times where you shouldn't question the original design, but either way I was dead set against using the rear wing in the new design and now it's going back on. I really like what it does for the cars overall race appeal and body lines. The only two changes I'm going to make is to have two CNC billet blocks made to raise the pedestals 1.5" and I'm going to set the whole thing back 4.5" from the original mounting holes. And to think I almost sold it along with the louvers. Never would have tried it on the car again.

It feels like it's going to give me the height and chunky look I'm trying to achieve and still look familiar at a glance. Bingo.

To get a ducktail to accomplish that for me wouldn't just look chunky, it would be chunky. Props to the Ford designers.

It happens to work with the wide body because the wing is set so far back that the quarters tapper to meet the ends of the wing. If the wing was set back the same distance on a stock trunk lid, only the first stud would be on the trunk and the second would hang off the back. How's that for bringing even more length to what appears to be an already long car lol. Actually, on that topic I thought I should mention that I measured both my 68 coupe ( with the Shelby front nose ) and this car before I started making any changes and they were nearly the same length. 2" longer for the 71. The design really fools the eye into thinking it's such s big car but it really isn't.

I always get a kick out of looking at this side by side. Makes the new mustang look like a bit of a minivan.

The view, looking down from above, has a little early Dodge Charger flair to it. The wider body give a more muscular shoulder to the original (Ford) design...nice. ::thumb::

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

image.jpeg.5dfba913bcf5005592ccb24788fff694.jpegNot like it matters but I photo shopped out the box of gloves holding up the wing lol.

I do like that wing. Let's face it, there's a lot of "fat" on that rear end and a ducktail would make it even chunkier as you said so yourself. This wing gives it some air, opens it all up a little and makes it look lighter.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I do like that wing. Let's face it, there's a lot of "fat" on that rear end and a ducktail would make it even chunkier as you said so yourself. This wing gives it some air, opens it all up a little and makes it look lighter.

Lol, the fatter the better. But I do like the lightness of the wing over the ducktail. I think it actually compliments the ducktail I moulded into the trunk lid nicely. I wish I could say I planned it but it was just by chance it worked out.

Super bird wing? :)

I like the ducktail and stock style wing.

Lol. I would if it were a track car. Wouldn't even blink.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That side by side does make the new mustang look bulky. When I get my mustera done down at 40", let's put it next to those two and gave a side by side by side. It's gonna be the same grabber blue color. Hey Angelo , looking good, I've missed you guys.

Angelo,

any updates? Your last update looked great - I like that rear wing idea - it completes that rear end in my eyes ::thumb::

Hope to see something from you soon ;)

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Hey Tim. I wish I had something for you, it would mean I had time to get on it but as it goes, work happily but unexpectedly kept coming in throughout what I call my down time so my ambitious plans took a back seat to my Buisness I'm afraid. Your car however, is looking awesome. Inspiring!

That side by side does make the new mustang look bulky. When I get my mustera done down at 40", let's put it next to those two and gave a side by side by side. It's gonna be the same grabber blue color. Hey Angelo , looking good, I've missed you guys.

Ray, good to hear from you. I will love the day we park them side by side buddy. Your 40" to my 48" I will look like I'm off roading next to your car lol !!

I actually measured up the car and it turns out its 4.5" longer than stock ( all out the back), 6.3" wider than stock ( at the rear tires) and 2" lower than stock. Looking to pick up a coil-over set up and hopefully a fuel injection set up. So for now just compiling parts.

Sounds nice with your plans friend, what kind of coilover kit is it that you are looking at? Is it just because you want to lower the car further? If that's the reason, then I have found a place where you can buy dropped spindles that will lower the car 1,5"-2" more :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!