Grabber Green 71 mach 1 restomod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehcode

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Hcode in grabber green metallic
Hello everyone been on here a couple months now and just decided to start a build thread to keep you guys up to date on my progress.its a 71 h code with a 4v cleveland and 4 speed toploader (was originally a 3speed). Anyways lets get onto pictures.here's the car the first day I seen it Then purchased it April 18
zmfo0k.jpg
after we got it to the house
f0nbwk.jpg
gmw.jpg
started disassembly shortly after to prepare for mediablast
24q1kbo.jpg
2gumd06.jpg
made some roof braces to support it during blasting and body work
24q47dy.jpg
off to mediablast
2ujo6fo.jpg
pulled valve covers and found this surprise:
alqe4n.jpg
got some small parts blasted primed and painted while the car was away
aykf9h.jpg
21vrqv.jpg
got it back!
e5rxut.jpg
sanded with 180grit and epoxy primed the outside of the body
29kot5j.jpg
otnggg.jpg
now time to start metal work.I went and purchased all my parts at npd 2weeks ago and just got started on the front end and radiator support
2hx68zk.jpg
s5afpg.jpg
finished that up and started drilling out the upper and lower cowl.should have it all out tomorrow
f8d2w.jpg

Yes they are crane.supposively this motor has had alot of work done to the heads.I don't believe the springs and valves are stock and it has Manley guide plates.also as you can see it has an edelbrock single plane manifold. we had the car running when I purchased but im still gonna check everything out, replace what's needed and repaint everything before its reinstalled

Very nice Steve. Where did you get it media blasted and how much (if I can ask)? I live near you and at the same point in the resurrection of my 1973.

Very nice work, keep the pictures coming.

I paid $850 and they did an amazing job. They done all the panels inside and out and every inch of the car including lifting it up and doing underneath.it was well worth the money to me especially after I had another guy quote me $1500 to do it all.if you your interested I can give you the info on the place.

Thanks Steven! Anyone that can help,should I edit my first post for updated pictures or just add them in a new post everytime I get further along?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like to see the new pics in new posts with commentary about what was done, what lessons were learned, and what job is next.

Ok heres what I got done today. Started drilling out the upper and lower cowl
ffa4qx.jpg
flbltd.jpg
Got everything ground down, hammer and dollied flat then applied a coat of Copperweld weldthru primer to the bare area before welding the new lower on
71snih.jpg
312k93n.jpg
holes drilled and aligned
14oc09t.jpg
all welded up
rc1vzs.jpg
welds smoothed and ready for the upper
2ur1y.jpg
2zz00ba.jpg
next step is to go ahead and seam seal then paint the lower cowl while I have the access to everything. Then I can finish up the upper cowl and the 2 cowl to apron braces.

Great work! I appreciate the pictures, since I have lots of work ahead of me, too. I having to slow down on my mustang project as my truck is soaking up most of my resources right now. I'm subscribing, though, and going to watch closely. Thanks!

^i will try to keep good updates on all the metal replacement.although im not sure of all you need to replace. Ill be doing the rear halves of both floor pans including 2 smaller areas in front of the seat pan. Then ill be doing the quarter extensions and trunk pan replacement

Got a little bit done in the past couple days. First I seam sealed between the paneling on the fresh air vents.I would recommend everyone doing this because this area will hold water if not, I think this contributed to the factory rust issues to begin with.
34smj9g.jpg
next I taped up my line that I put weld through primer for the upper cowl to go against. The main issue with just painting it is burning the paint out when the upper is welded.
wi662e.jpg
346w19l.jpg
then got it all painted with matte black
20uzsjm.jpg
epg5fr.jpg
upper should be all in sometime saturday

Thanks! Once you get everything ready to do it its not too bad. Its removing the windshield, front end, and dash that's takes forever.lol

Yeah I am at the point where that is feasible. Windshield needs replaced, dash needs to be taken out to be refinished, but front end is not in a position to be torn apart, can you do it with front suspension and motor in it?

Back