Lowering front end

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
I plan to put on lowering springs today and want to know if the change on the fronts require an alignment?

I would recommend aligning the wheels after changing the springs. The new springs can affect the camber adjustment. Better safe than sorry.

-Travis

Thanks, that is what I thought.

rottenralph,

Plus 1 on forum response! I would definitely get an alignment due to the changing of the geometry of your front end. Since you should have a re-alignment, take a look at these alignment specs. from Opentracker Racing. They have both street and race specifications.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/tech/

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
rottenralph,

I would definitely get an alignment due to the changing of the geometry of your front end. Since you should have a re-alignment, take a look at these alignment specs. from Opentracker Racing. They have both street and race specifications.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/tech/

mustang7173
The specs seem reasonable to me. Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you will need an alignment. the car will be drivable after the spring change.

one issue depending on your drop will be bump steer, if you find hitting a bump makes the car change lanes without you wanting to then you will need a bump steer eliminator kit, that drops the tie-rod ends below the knuckle about 2". after installing the bump steer kit you will need another alignment as the toe will be incorrect. what happens is ford designed the suspension to work in a range and when you lower the car 1-2" you kind of get into the range ford meant for the suspension to be compressed in but your using it for normal ride height so when you hit a bump it causes toe-out on the side of the suspension that is compressed. so you have lets say 1/8" toe in set, the left side hits a bump and goes to suddenly 1/8 toe out while the right side is still at 1/8" toe in, that is the same and turning the steering wheel suddenly to the left, so that is bad. the bump steer eliminator drops the tie rod down which mimicks the original angle without the drop and thus reduces this bump steer issue. i had this problem when i tried to run 1 degree negative camber to put more performance into the handling with a 1" 416lb spring drop. i bought the bump steer kit but then i changed to 0 camber and put more positive caster which reduced the bump steer issue so i never installed the bump steer kit and gave it away to a friend a couple of years ago.

Back