RARE $$$$$

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A car worth that much and they don't just pony up for the stainless exhaust? I understand it probably hasn't seen rain or anything that could cause rust in 30 years.

Aluminized exhaust is not a selling point on a 92K car.

Beautiful and rare car certainly. 429 Ram Air Convertible Hell Ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Before everyone goes bonkers at the price, remember this:

Of all the cars that have been offered at nutzola prices of recent:

A. This is the only one that deserves a premium - a genuine 429 convertible.

B. A rare car by default (1 of 42) and a 1-of-1 in its class.

C. We get to see the floorpans, and they're not Swiss cheese.

D. At $92k, you don't have to ask about the trunk floor either.

E. Cheaper than an equivalent convertible HEMI 'Cuda.

-Kurt

It might be cheaper than a Hemi-Cuda, but it will never carry the same weight in collector circles as a Hemi-Cuda either...unfortunately.

The main problem is that Ford introduced the 429 to the Mustang line far too late and in too-few numbers to have had any chance to build a reputation as the 426 hemi did over the 5 (or so) years Chrysler offered it in various cars.

In Ford circles, the 428 CJ has the "wow" factor and to the uninitiated, is the "better" of the two CJ's (428 vs 429...sorry 351-guys, I don't consider a 351 a CJ no matter what Ford says).

The 429 is far more advanced and much more durable than the 428 ever was, and produced equal if not more power. There is much debate as to the actual quickest factory-produced classic Mustang: A 428 CJ powered '69, or was it a 429 CJ powered '71? Some like to even say a BOSS 351 holds the "quickest" title...but it just aint so.

The 429 appeared in '70 and by then the super-car craze had already peaked and was on the way out. If Ford had produced the 429 CJ/SCJ twins in '69-'71, I think the mighty 429 would have garnered enough favorable press to be forever known as the Hemi-killer, and our big-block 71s would be that much more desirable and valuable.

However, by the time ther 429 came around in the Mustang, nobody really cared about these kinds of cars anymore. That is why so few 71 Hemi-Cudas and 429 Mustangs were actually made: Nobody really cared or wanted them, hard as it is to belive these days.

Where are the numbers to match on a numbers matching car? I was a little flabbergasted by the price but I have only seen Shelby's command this kind of money. Thanks for the explanations.

All valid points, Kit.

Thing is, I think the forum is concentrating more on the price than the car this time; making fun of it where it doesn't deserve it.

It's not the same as Thelma and Louise selling their clapped-out "approximately 300-mile" '72 Convertible on eBay with a $85k price and a grainy, Photoshopped picture in front of Peña Brothers Upholstery. This is a genuine 429 car being sold in an honest manner.

Granted, the price may be wishful thinking - but the product is no joke.

-Kurt

"If you don't ask...you don't get."

"There's an ass for every seat."

Two of my favorite sayings from my many years as a car salesman.

It might be cheaper than a Hemi-Cuda, but it will never carry the same weight in collector circles as a Hemi-Cuda either...unfortunately.

The main problem is that Ford introduced the 429 to the Mustang line far too late and in too-few numbers to have had any chance to build a reputation as the 426 hemi did over the 5 (or so) years Chrysler offered it in various cars.

In Ford circles, the 428 CJ has the "wow" factor and to the uninitiated, is the "better" of the two CJ's (428 vs 429...sorry 351-guys, I don't consider a 351 a CJ no matter what Ford says).

The 429 is far more advanced and much more durable than the 428 ever was, and produced equal if not more power. There is much debate as to the actual quickest factory-produced classic Mustang: A 428 CJ powered '69, or was it a 429 CJ powered '71? Some like to even say a BOSS 351 holds the "quickest" title...but it just aint so.

The 429 appeared in '70 and by then the super-car craze had already peaked and was on the way out. If Ford had produced the 429 CJ/SCJ twins in '69-'71, I think the mighty 429 would have garnered enough favorable press to be forever known as the Hemi-killer, and our big-block 71s would be that much more desirable and valuable.

However, by the time ther 429 came around in the Mustang, nobody really cared about these kinds of cars anymore. That is why so few 71 Hemi-Cudas and 429 Mustangs were actually made: Nobody really cared or wanted them, hard as it is to belive these days.
I've always heard the Boss 351 was the quickest factory Mustang of the era. What are you basing your answer of "It just isn't so" on? Not saying you are wrong, just wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back