Edelbrock performer vs RPM air gap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangStang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang sportroof
I'm rebuilding a 302 cid out a 1969 Mustang Pony and I'm going to put it in my '73 Sportroof. I put a mild Edelbrock cam (2122) in it and the E-Street heads and I was going to put a Performer intake on it until I started looking at the air gap. I saw a video on u-tube comparing the two intakes and he was saying how the exhaust runner heats up the manifold too much. I like the idea behind the air gap. Raising the runners up and leaving the gap to keep the air/fuel mix cooler before it enters the cylinder makes sense to me.

Has anyone else compared the two or replaced a Performer with the RPM Air Gap? Curious if anyone has checked the two out, before I buy either one.

Any thoughts?

I have an airgap on my stang and love it, excellent power through out the powerband. It is my understanding that using it with a functional ram air setup is out with this manifold though. My car has a 2V cleveland and not a 302 so this probably doesn't help you any.

Just curious as to why it's a no-go with a functional ram air setup. Is there something about the cooling with fresh outside air that makes it not work, or is it simply the spacing, or height of the carb is off? Just curious. I have all the stuff from the hood for functional ram air, but I don't have the air filter housing that matches up. I figured when I got closer to being done, I'd just make my own to match up whatever carb height to a filter with a housing that will mate up to the ram air on the bottom of the hood. Granted, I don't have the air gap intake, and don't know that I'd buy a new one just to change.

Yep it's a height issue. I am sure someone got it to work with a drop base from a L88 vette,may have been on a 429 and I am not sure if they are a member here. Does a 302 sit as high in the bay as a clevo?? I have no idea on that angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an airgap on my stang and love it, excellent power through out the powerband. It is my understanding that using it with a functional ram air setup is out with this manifold though. My car has a 2V cleveland and not a 302 so this probably doesn't help you any.
Hmm.... I have the ram air hood but none of the parts of the plenum. I was thinking of trying to gather all the spare parts and making it functional but I would probably need a stock carb on it too. Not too worried about that right now.

I just feel like if I've put all the time and money into this engine and I'm buying a new intake anyway, I want it to have some more HP and Torque. I've been working on this engine for almost 3 years. As long as the Air Gap is worth the extra cash over the Performer.

Your cam is on the small side for that intake. Not a major mismatch.. but the intake has a higher rpm range than the cam. It will work, it will just fall off the cam before the intake is done.

Your cam is on the small side for that intake. Not a major mismatch.. but the intake has a higher rpm range than the cam. It will work, it will just fall off the cam before the intake is done.
^^This^^

The intake needs to be matched to the rest of the components; cam, rear gear, etc....Also need to consider how you intend to use the car.

If you intend to drive the car in cool weather, the airgap can be a little cranky.

I agree with TommyK on the cold blooded nature of the air gap intake.

I run one on a Cleveland in my model A and it can be cranky when its cooler. IMO if you're going to drive the car all year in cold climates, its not the one for you.

Thanks, Jay

That's what I was worried about. I know they aren't a perfect match. I want a street engine, but with some punch when I want to get the heart rate up a bit. The cam is a bit more aggressive than a stock cam...as long as it doesn't bog out at lower RPM when I'm bootin' around town.

I agree with TommyK on the cold blooded nature of the air gap intake.

I run one on a Cleveland in my model A and it can be cranky when its cooler. IMO if you're going to drive the car all year in cold climates, its not the one for you.

Thanks, Jay
Always driven in warm weather. She stays in the corral with her blanket on in the cold weather, drinking hot 10W30. LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't driven my car in cold weather yet since installing the airgap but so far no bloodedness problems have arised from the installation of this manifold, my car starts instantly and is ready to go without any problems of having to warm up a while before driving it.

Is this intake a mismatch for a semi stock engine? probably, but the car runs so good I've yet to notice and it looks damn sexy plus, gives me room to grow in the future, no regrets here.

I haven't driven my car in cold weather yet since installing the airgap but so far no bloodedness problems have arised from the installation of this manifold, my car starts instantly and is ready to go without any problems of having to warm up a while before driving it.

Is this intake a mismatch for a semi stock engine? probably, but the car runs so good I've yet to notice and it looks damn sexy plus, gives me room to grow in the future, no regrets here.
Ok great. Thanks guys for all your opinions. Sounds like either one would fit my application. I'll let you know what I decide on. All Edelbrock intakes are 10% off this week at my local performance shop. Saves a bit of cash anyway.

I don't have an RPM air-gap intake, but I have a Victor 5.8 EFI and it is an air gap design as well. I've noticed that the air charge temps are a near ambient most of the time, as long as I'm moving. I'm using a 1/2" phenolic spacer as well, though.

Ok great. Thanks guys for all your opinions. Sounds like either one would fit my application. I'll let you know what I decide on. All Edelbrock intakes are 10% off this week at my local performance shop. Saves a bit of cash anyway.
Thanks again for all your input. I ended up going with what I originally planned and stuck with the Performer 2121 to match my cam.

Back