custom export brace

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehcode

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Hcode in grabber green metallic
Does anyone have any pics of 71-73 cars with an export brace? Im yet to find a supplier for one so im getting the feeling in going to have to fab something myself im just wanting some ideas.my bay will be color matched to the exterior paint color with a battery relocation and everything tucked as possible.im really not wanting to run the wide factory shock tower braces if I can come up with a better looking option.

Bingo. Any other companies? That one looks great now id just need to decide if I want to swing $315 for one or try to make my own...

Oooh, thanks from me too. I was about to order it but if t doesn't clear the distributor it does me no good. I already have one here that doesn't fit.

Why does it seem so difficult for a supplier to make something that fits correctly? How difficult can it be, find a a car with ac and fit it. They could advertise them as engine specific so that you know exactly what itll fit without taking the risk.id be pissed spending $315 and not being able to even modify it to make it fit

I have a 302 so probably the smallest engine dimensions available but I'd still like something that fits with room to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The disease is everywhere you go and almost on everything we buy these days.. I overheard an older woman ask a floor clerk in Walmart where the "Dust Busters" were located.. The clerk asked "what's a Dust Buster"..

There are many times I have to go to AutoZone or Napa and the counter "kids" can't come up with a part I need because it's not shown in the computer.. They don't have the skills to use or even know what a cross reference guide is.. If it's not the eye candy displayed in the store, the employees can, at times, be clueless.

Why does it seem so difficult for a supplier to make something that fits correctly? How difficult can it be, find a a car with ac and fit it. They could advertise them as engine specific so that you know exactly what itll fit without taking the risk.id be pissed spending $315 and not being able to even modify it to make it fit

You really want to give the "kids" at auto parts store something to do. Tell them you want a thermostat for a 77 VW beetle. Haha you'll see them fingers typing for hours.

Back in my Nissan tuning days I had a guy tell me there was no way he could give me a part for my engine because my car doesn't have that engine. I said "ever heard of a motor swap?" "Bu..bu..but the computer..." I just walked away.

And if they find a part in the store than you see the label "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan".

Okay there are also good stuff between those parts but most parts are very low quality, with a little humidity are those parts going very soon corrode/pitting, are have also not the right shape to fit.

But staying by this message, perhaps among the forum members have the knowledge/skills to produce (like Obsidian/mach1000), i like that idea and I'm in ...

Last edited by a moderator:
While we don't offer a tower brace kit for the 71-73 yet I know that some customers have made them fit. The Falcon Monte Carlo bar is 2.5" longer than the Mustang version so I think they use that up front. The trouble is the 71+ inner fenders are six inches wider than the early cars. Or at least six inches wider than a '67 which is what I just measured. Just some info for anyone looking for alternatives. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/tower.html

I'm not sure who the '71 in this pic belongs to, or where I even got the image, but it's been in my files for quite a while.

2h86450.jpg

While we don't offer a tower brace kit for the 71-73 yet I know that some customers have made them fit. The Falcon Monte Carlo bar is 2.5" longer than the Mustang version so I think they use that up front. The trouble is the 71+ inner fenders are six inches wider than the early cars. Or at least six inches wider than a '67 which is what I just measured. Just some info for anyone looking for alternatives. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/tower.html

I'm not sure who the '71 in this pic belongs to, or where I even got the image, but it's been in my files for quite a while.

2h86450.jpg
I saw online somewhere I believe a 69 or a 70 brace was used. I think it needed some modification but looked factory. Just passing it along. Rick

You really want to give the "kids" at auto parts store something to do. Tell them you want a thermostat for a 77 VW beetle. Haha you'll see them fingers typing for hours.

Back in my Nissan tuning days I had a guy tell me there was no way he could give me a part for my engine because my car doesn't have that engine. I said "ever heard of a motor swap?" "Bu..bu..but the computer..." I just walked away.

Hahaha!!! I once owned a '73 Super Beetle and had to get a belt for the motor, the "kid" looking it up for me asked if the car had a/c because the computer needed that to be input to find the part. I looked right at him and said "Dude...'73 Beetles don't even really have heat!" He looked at me like I was nuts and said "ok...so no then?"

The disease is everywhere you go and almost on everything we buy these days.. I overheard an older woman ask a floor clerk in Walmart where the "Dust Busters" were located.. The clerk asked "what's a Dust Buster"..

There are many times I have to go to AutoZone or Napa and the counter "kids" can't come up with a part I need because it's not shown in the computer.. They don't have the skills to use or even know what a cross reference guide is.. If it's not the eye candy displayed in the store, the employees can, at times, be clueless.

Absolutely correct in your observations of daily life, IMO.

I too gripe constantly at the overwhelming lack of professionalism in places that should, in my opinion, have a true professional somewhere within reach. I feel that doctors in particular, are the worst. Generally highly paid, with usually the least amount of true understanding or personal care for any particular case or ailment. Tend to lean on the word "practicing" a bit too much, and probably for legal reasons.

Yep, indeed so few manufacturers/suppliers in our "hobby" (or, a life sustaining business for some of us) do provide 100% of the necessary info for any given product. Vague descriptions, poor pictures, incorrectly listed applications, poorly placed company contact or ordering info... the list goes on and on and on.

I just don't get it. It's very frustrating.

Anyhow, rant over. I feel better now, thanks :D

In the grand scheme of my '71's rebuild, those braces have been included in the "build a better mousetrap" section. I haven't seen any really cool one-off fab jobs for replacing/upgrading them, whether aerospace quality or backyard Bubba pieces. The adjustable tubular ones do look really nice and would be along the lines of something I'd like, but methinks I'd like to be "different".

I'm always on the lookout for any ideas or pics that happen to come along. I haven't spent any time staring at the subject to formulate a plan... yet. Gots me some bigger fish to fry before I wade into those waters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back