Headers that fit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldruss

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351C-4V, C6, 9 inch Red with black
Have a 73 convertible with 351C-4V and a C6. Anyone find headers that fit without modification?

I have Hooker Super Comp headers with 3" collectors in my 71 351 4V with a C6. No problems other than I have an after market extra capacity trans pan that I had to "persuade" a little. Stock trans pan you'd be fine.

Greetings from Phoenix. Also own a 73 Mustang Convert with 351C and swapped in C6. I have run both the hooker comp and hooker super comp with no modifications necessary. With the super comp you could pull the tranny out without removing or loosening the headers from the heads. I am not so sure with the comp headers, they are closer. The super comps are longer and hang down lower.

A write up I did on the differences: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-hooker-headers-super-comp-to-comp-swap?highlight=hooker

Have you considered shorty headers? No more ground clearance issues, and you'll be less likely to cook the starter.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hooker Comps fit well without modification. The passenger side collector flange is close to the pan edge. Chuck

I have the Hooker Super Comps on my Mach. When I had the C-6 in it they fit like a glove. Fit even better now that its a 4-speed.

73 has the different motor mounts. I think I have headmans and had trim the corner of the mount to make clearance. drivers side.
My original Hooker Super Comp had the same issues on my 73. I didn't realize that the installer had cut and welded my mounts to get them on. I know the Comp headers will go in ok but with the new Super Comp if you raise the motor with a hoist and remove the mounts they will slip right in. Then replace the mounts and lower the motor back down and you don't have to modify the mounts at all.

Back