"While I'm Under Here" virus

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Well, I now completely understand why it's said that these projects are never really "finished". I've got the whole front suspension to replace, which cost a ton of money, but then I say to myself, "While I'm under here, I might as well get the disk brakes in order. And might as well check out the wheel bearings while I'm at it. And paint the wheel wells." And so on.

That's why, $1500 later, the turn signals still don't work and your wife asks, "I thought you were going to fix the turn signals, and exactly WHY do you have to take the engine out? And WHAT'S WRONG with the transmission?"

It's a virus, I tell you. :angel:

Doc

...And your point being...???

:D

Like I worry about what my wife thinks of my addiction...LOL...

I suppose a better questions is now many of us "Addicts" have made modifications to our garage to include important things like stereos (with multiple, surround speakers), video so a person can watch ball games, instructional vids, whatever, while we spend time there? How about a really confortable chair, such as a custom stool, by the bench that allows optimal viewing area of our cars while NOT working on it?

Mebee it is just me... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
for me it was a little more than that I'm at 7000 g's for the engine and I'm not counting headers ,radiator ,exhaust ,carb,cam kit,awesome aluminum valve covers,ignition system,hahahaha list goes on and on and on and on and on .But as the great Canadian band loverboy say's "LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT

I hear ya! I call it CMD (Chronic Mustang Disorder) and I have it bad also! Just last night, I wanted to fix the rear view mirror. So while I was waiting for the glue to set, I decided to pull one of the hood locks and clean the goo out from under it. Hmmm, the bracket need painted while I'm here. Hmmmmm, now I need to do the other side too. Hell, might as well replace the fuel filter while I'm under the hood.

LOL, It just keeps on going! But we all love it! You know you do!:D

Actually, my wife is being VERY supportive of my project. She told me her brothers were famous for taking off on a Friday, driving around the countryside and towing home some pile they scored for $50. A few months later, the 'pile' was transformed into an awesome car... and some even won awards when showed.

That's why she is so on-board with my project... or so she says.

But actually, I think it's because she really wasn't too keen on my buying a 2010 Camaro 2SS and having the monster car payments that would've come with it.

Either way - I'm going to have a cool Mach 1 to drive one of these days, and that's all the matters to me at this point.

Right on, Eric. I feel the same way. If I put, for some insane reason, $10K into my convertible (in addition to the $5K I paid for it), it would be impossible for me to find any NEW $15K convertible with the awesome power and performance my '73 will have. And I wouldn't have anywhere near as much fun driving it. :)

Doc

Hey Doc, it's almost impossible to find ANY new car decently equipped, sporty, and with enough performance curve for around 15K these days. They're just too expensive anymore.

I can see we're pretty much on the same sheet when it comes to our cars. Even though mine's currently a pile, all I see when I look at it is how cool it's going to be when I'm 'done' with it (I use that term loosely... like a Jeep - we're never really done, after all). Getting there will be half the fun though, but once it's running, I'll love it just that much more knowing I essentially built it myself.

The first door ding will probably almost kill me though. LOL!!

Hey Doc, it's almost impossible to find ANY new car decently equipped, sporty, and with enough performance curve for around 15K these days. They're just too expensive anymore.

I can see we're pretty much on the same sheet when it comes to our cars. Even though mine's currently a pile, all I see when I look at it is how cool it's going to be when I'm 'done' with it (I use that term loosely... like a Jeep - we're never really done, after all). Getting there will be half the fun though, but once it's running, I'll love it just that much more knowing I essentially built it myself.

The first door ding will probably almost kill me though. LOL!!
LOL - I know exactly what you mean, Eric.

I was lucky in finding mine because I was able to trade $$ for cosmetics (since it seems like the smallest thing, like the door lock buttons, cost $47 or whatever. :) And I don't have ANY skill in working on upholstery or any of that stuff.

Doc

3 years ago, a 3000$ complete brake system rebuild, turned into a 20,000$ sheet metal, engine rebuild, engine bay rebuild, total suspension rebuild, rear end rebuild and transmission rebuild.

and i still have issues.

3 years ago, a 3000$ complete brake system rebuild, turned into a 20,000$ sheet metal, engine rebuild, engine bay rebuild, total suspension rebuild, rear end rebuild and transmission rebuild.

and i still have issues.
I thought this was suppose to be a nice supportive place. Now I'm going to go home tonight and have nightmares. I'm stressed enough trying to figure out how I'm going to revive my car in the most economical way possible...not to mention I'm not mechanical. I'm starting to wonder about me :huh:.

and i still have issues.
I thought this was suppose to be a nice supportive place. Now I'm going to go home tonight and have nightmares. I'm stressed enough trying to figure out how I'm going to revive my car in the most economical way possible...not to mention I'm not mechanical. I'm starting to wonder about me :huh:.
If you're on a tight budget, try to get the things done that need done to get it on the road and then focus on filling in the gaps. I believe this is called rolling restoration. Don't worry about mechanical skill, I have never did anything other than change oil before I started on the coupe! It's a learning process! Hang in there...you'll be fine! :D

Hey, GreenGold -

I agree with Barry (Rocketfoot). Go at it slow and steady. Years ago when I had even less mechanical experience than my current "little to none", I was able to do quite a bit with a Chilton's manual and a fairly basic set of tools. With all the expertise in this forum, I think you'll be in good shape to get a lot done. As Barry said, focus on the major things first, so that you can get your ride on the road. I'm sure it can get depressing working on (and spending $$ on) a project for years while it sits in pieces in the garage.

Hang in there, and stop by here often. Post some pics, too, when you get a chance, so that we can see what you're up to.

Doc

mine is a rolling restoration. LOL

budgets are nice if you'll willing to stick to them then they will simply cost you time.

Example lets say you discover a major issue and it will cost 2000$ to fix and you can only afford 1000$ well either you spend 1000$ a little at a time or save up a longer time and hit it in one shot. so it may take you 10 years of time to stick to a budget.

otherwise you get it done asap and pay lots of money.

reviving the car on a budget is going to depend on the car. this is why a lot of people look forever to get the right car. you look it over and evaluate it.

I take it you looked over the car and feel safe in what you see. sometimes your not sure what your looking at until its too late.

structurally check under the suspension arms at the frame rail, look at the shock tower bottoms at the frame rail engine cradle junction.

make sure the rails are 'not soft' make sure there are no holes in the frame rail tops in that area. our cars are notorious for cancer here.

road dirt builds up here because the rail has a lip here and traps junk, then the water absorbs into the junk and well 24/7 365 wet equals no more steel.

any cancer located forward of the shock towers isn't bad because the suspension will be resting on good metal you hope.

so long as the rad support can hold a radiator it can be replaced later.

any cowl rust just ruins the interior and can be fixed later.

the bolt on stuff is easy so long as the rust hasn't compromised anything structural.

5 years ago i knew nothing about cars, and told myself i would never have it in me to take a car apart and be able to assemble it back together. some things seemed impossible at the time, but if you break a job into 1000 little pieces then it can be done.

as your skills improve then you can tackle harder and harder jobs.

my car was a boat anchor and i was oblivious to that fact.

the hardest part of doing a front suspension is the spring, once you compress it and treat it like a bomb and get it out of the way, its maybe 14 nuts and bolts and the entire front end comes apart in pieces.

the hardest part of doing the brakes is dealing with the brake lines, trying to remove them, trying to install new ones, and then trying to reconnect everything, its 100% worse then anything else on the car seriously it can drive you insane stopping all leaks.

Frustration will be your biggest obstacle. bolts will snap, nuts will round off, things will need to be cut off nothing will be easy until all the old stuff is gone and your work area is a clean slate to start on, and once your there and you clean something up like new you want to continue and do more since your already past the point of no return.

take it slow, take pictures, you always have a shoulder to cry on here.

if you see this:

DSC06803.jpg

DSC06802.jpg

DSC06805.jpg

DSC06804.jpg

you will need more then bolt on parts.

Wow, 72HCode, that is one of the best pieces of writing about automobile restoration I've read. It's obviously based on hard-earned experience. I learned a lot from it, and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape with most of my 'vert.

Thanks for the inspiration! :) I'll be asking for some ideas for the coil springs very soon.

Doc

Back