Somebody Please Identify LOOK AGAIN WRONG PIC AT FIRST

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code
:huh:

I need to tap the collective knowledge of the board. I am reassembling my 71 (2.5 yrs so far) and I have these 2 parts I can't identify. They are 1 for each side and 1 has very slight damage suggesting it came from the drivers front fender area as I had replacement to do in that area. But alas I can't fit them anywhere, nor do they show up in the body assembly manual. It's a real puzzle. I am attaching pictures and any help would be appreciated. My 71 does have the double support for the hood latch.:D

POSTED THE WRONG PIC AT FIRST. IT'S THE METAL PARTS NOW SHOW. THANKS TO ALL WHO REVIEWED AND DOUG FOR RESPONSE

DSCN1919.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I need to tap the collective knowledge of the board. I am reassembling my 71 (2.5 yrs so far) and I have these 2 parts I can't identify. They are 1 for each side and 1 has very slight damage suggesting it came from the drivers front fender area as I had replacement to do in that area. But alas I can't fit them anywhere, nor do they show up in the body assembly manual. It's a real puzzle. I am attaching pictures and any help would be appreciated. My 71 does have the double support for the hood latch.:D
That is your heater box, which contains the heater core and A/C evaporator. the piece on the right is the defroster duct. both attach to the firewall on the inside of the car. The little duct in the lower right of the picture is the air intake tube for the engine. it mounts below the battery tray. Hope this helps.

-Travis

That is your heater box, which contains the heater core and A/C evaporator. the piece on the right is the defroster duct. both attach to the firewall on the inside of the car. The little duct in the lower right of the picture is the air intake tube for the engine. it mounts below the battery tray. Hope this helps.

-Travis

The top one looks kinda like the "headlight bucket to crossmember" piece to me. If you bought new headlight buckets, they would've been included and already assembled as part of the pieces.

But the crease in the middle looks more like the plastic grille mounting bracket. Mine only had one (on the driver side of the hood latch bracket - and looks very much like the one on the bottom). Some of the other (earlier, I believe) models had them on both sides of the "bars & pony" emblem - which is probably what you have.

+1 on 4x4's post. 71s and early 72s had two brackets to support the grille. Chuck

Thanks to everyone. I didn't have my new grill out of the box so hadn't tried that. You are exactly correct. I knew this forum wouldn't let me down. Thanks to Chuck, Eric, Doug Travis and all the others who spent their time trying to help. You all are the bomb.

Back