My 73 Q Code, project clean mean & stealthy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob73Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1 SportsRoof Q Code 351C Cobra Jet, Flat Head Pistons/Comp Cams
2.17/1.71 Heads/C6/3500/9"/373/Shocks/Springs/Sub Frame Conn/Roll Bar
It just arrived Friday late afternoon but I was lucky enough to have a couple of free days available (which is rare) to jump right in. I have to say for 42 yrs old it's in dam good shape, rot & rust free, and straight.

The Motor & Trans have been beefed up; C6 w/3500 Stall, Flat Head Forged Pistons, Larger Valves, Comp Cam, Springs, Push Rods, Crane 1.73 Roller Rockers, Weiand X-Celerator Intake Manifold, Modified Holley DF DP Carb, Hooker Headers, 3" Exhaust, Single Chamber Mufflers, Turn Downs (loud as a mo fo), MSD Pro Billet Distributor, MSD Blaster 2 Coil, and...

As for Rear/Suspension; 9" Rear, Moroso Drag Springs, Lakewood Shocks, (50/50 Rear, 90/10 Front), Global West Sub-Frame Connectors, Traction Bars, Roll Bar, Hoosier Quick Time Pro (28x11.50/15LT), Master Craft Strategy Front Tires (175/70R14), and...

Runs, Shifts, and Stops well but no insurance yet so only a few local test rides around the corner. My main concern was cosmetics and finishing touches so that's where I started.

Underside of hood was Torquoise

BEFORE

HoodBEFORE.jpg

AFTER

HoodAFTER.jpg

The engine compartment was an absolute mess, wiring everywhere, no wire loom, rusted beyond fixing Valve Covers & T Bolts, and filthy...

BEFORE

MotorBEFORE-1.jpg

AFTER

Motor3-1.jpg

Missing Door Panel & Console

BEFORE

DoorPanelBEFORE.jpg

AFTER

Console3.jpg

Console2.jpg

DoorPanelAFTER2.jpg

Showed up Filthy

BEFORE

StraightOffTrailer.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit

100_7903.jpg

100_7899.jpg

Missing Honeycomb and Trim

BEFORE

RearView.jpg

AFTER

(I also took the paint off the Tail Light Trim and went back to Chrome so it matches the Front

BackViewAFTER.jpg

BackViewAFTER2.jpg

Rear6.jpg

I love the look and I'm looking forward to getting some seat time in and hitting some shows & cruises dancebanana

well this is the last big show of the season, everything else is over,, this is for the mustang club of long island

Sunday, September 7th Eighth Annual Show at Lucas Ford We are returning for the eighth consecutive year to Lucas Ford (3245 Hortons Lane, Southold, NY 11971). We had a record number of cars last year; let's try to break that record this year! The show is open to all Ford powered makes and models. Registration is $20 the day of the show. Trophies will be provided based on participant balloting. The first 100 registered cars receive a t-shirt and goodie bag. The rain date is Sunday, September 14th.

I might go its a 135 mile trip for me.

there are these events

Upcoming Events

Friday, August 8th Oldies Night, Patchogue, NY Cars on the streets of Patchogue and dinner at one of Patchogue's many restaurants.

Sunday, August 10th Annual MSCLI BBQ, Bayport Aerodrome The location for this year's BBQ is the historic Bayport Aerodrome. We'll enjoy a day of aviation history among the pilots and antique planes as we enjoy our annual BBQ. The hangers will all be open and we will be front and center as the planes taxi, takeoff and land from the grass airfield. The club will be supplying all the food and beverages for club members and their immediate families. The BBQ starts at 12:00 noon and will run until 4:00 p.m. RSVP now! You can RSVP at a club meeting or click here to RSVP via e-mail. Cutoff for RSVPs is August 1.

Saturday, August 16th Woodward Dream Cruise, Detroit, MI A group will be headed out to Detroit to celebrate the Mustang's 50th in Mustang Alley at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Click here for details from club member and trip organizer Warren Silverman. Click here to see an article about Mustang Alley from Mustangs and Fords.

Sunday, August 24th Mustang Display at Port Jefferson Village Center We make our return to the Port Jefferson Village Center for the ever popular display after a one year hiatus.

Sunday, September 7th Eighth Annual Show at Lucas Ford We are returning for the eighth consecutive year to Lucas Ford (3245 Hortons Lane, Southold, NY 11971). We had a record number of cars last year; let's try to break that record this year! The show is open to all Ford powered makes and models. Registration is $20 the day of the show. Trophies will be provided based on participant balloting. The first 100 registered cars receive a t-shirt and goodie bag. The rain date is Sunday, September 14th. (show flyer)

Saturday, September 27th Mustangs in Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY We have been contacted by the organizers of the Nassau County car show / Cruise to the Show to work with them to put on a Mustang show on the Saturday of that weekend to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Mustang. The show will run from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. followed by a concert by Eddie Money at the Harry Chapin Lakeside Theater. Registration is $15 in advance / $25 day of the show. You can register for both days in advance for $25. (Show flyer) (Registration Form) You can also visit cruisetotheshow.com.

Saturday, November TBD Patchogue Holiday parade We had so much fun we're doing it again! We'll be in the parade and then meet at one of Patchogue's many restaurants for dinner afterwards. So decorate up your car and join us. But get that reservation in as space is limited.

there are club meetings also

July 23rd Hauppauge Palace Diner, 7pm. Located at the corner of Rt. #111 and eastbound side of Rt 347 in Hauppauge. Note that this has been pushed to the fourth Wednesday to avoid having two meetings in the same week.

then i think its every 2nd monday in the month,, not sure i have not gone in a couple of years.

welcome fellow long islander :)

I like it and I like those Procar seats. Are they as comfortable as they look? I wonder if black Mach 1 stripes would make it better or take away from the cool?

Thanks All ::beer::

I'm not sure exactly what seats they are but I'll try and identify them when I get home (up in Lake George at the moment for 6 days)

Yes, they are very comfortable and the sitting and driving position seems to be perfect for me which is great. But I aint gonna lie getting out of this thing is a real sob. it sucks to get out of but mostly because I'm old and beat up. I had to put a removable steering wheel in my ProStreet Ranger to be able to get in and out of, true story ... LOL

Holy Awesome Info H Code, Thank You ::thumb::

I'll have to check some dates and see what I can make.

Ralph I was thinking the same thing with the Black Stripes, i wonder if it would make or break it. I think it would look good ? A Flat or Satin Finish is surely not what I was out looking for but as I always say I don't pick the cars they pick me. I'm kicking around a few ideas and one of them is adding a little chrome here and there. Sometimes just the right amount of Chrome can make a huge difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your car looks awesome as it sits. You've done some real nice work so far. Rather than adding chrome. how about satin blacking it all out?

Photoshop does great at giving you a preview and some of the younger members here will help you out if it isn't your cup of tea to work with.

and I hear you when it comes to getting in and out, but my 2014 Mazda 6 is just as bad.

I hear you one the Chrome. I blacked out my Harley before it was cool and switched to chrome when everyone finally found black. The stripe kits that are out there are inexpensive enough to try it and peal it back off if you don't like it. Aesthetics are very hard to get right in your mind and put to car without some minor tweaks here and there. I have modified my bike a 100 times in the last 20 years and it is only perfect for a minute until I see something else that needs a change. I think you have these. Stock seats ae probably much easier to get out of but I hear you on the age part. I am 48 and some cars are tougher than others. http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Interior/seats.htm

Back