Need your opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible

08 Bullet
So what do you think guys....should I put the 17" GT rims that I was using as snow rims/tires on the 73 or should I wait till I have enough coin to buy 15 Magnums?

I have a set of Pirelli's that came with the 17" so I would be all set for new tires.

Ken

[attachment=2458]

[attachment=2459]

[attachment=2460]

You gotta do what you gotta do...if you need to run the 17's go for it. They look nice but personally, I'd hold out for the magnum look! Just my opinion! :D

So what do you think guys....should I put the 17" GT rims that I was using as snow rims/tires on the 73 or should I wait till I have enough coin to buy 15 Magnums?

I have a set of Pirelli's that came with the 17" so I would be all set for new tires.

Ken
The gt's don't cut it period..Just look wrong..If your buying magnums you should go 17's not 15's JMO

I dont like big wheels on old cars... but that´s my point of view, very personal... I do like big profile tires.. look at my car :p

Looking at the pics and trying to be objetive i think your hole combo of wheel and tire, in both options is small... I mean, the final diameter is not big enough to full the wheel opening...

Do you need 17" wheels for break clearance or it is just looks??... MAybe as Scott said, 17" Magnum 500 can do it all... But if your thing is just asthetics, be aware that tires are there too...

The best looking convertible i saw (again in my opinion) is Jorge´s... A green one with a perfect fitted magnum 500 and dont remember which, but the correct tyres and high of the suspension... check it out...

With big wheels, you have the example of the yellow Luxstang´s vert... Again, perfect fit with a different asthetics...

Hope it helps!

I like the look of a 17" wheel, but didn't care for that particular gt wheel on the 71-73's. Ialso like the magnums...so maybe the 17" magnum wheel is an option?

I have to agree with you guys the look of the GT rim isn't right ....I'll stick with my magnums for now until I can get some 17" magnums.

Thanks everyone.

Ken
good choice Ken... Magnum are really goodlooking wheels per se ;) Car looks right with them on :)

Ken if you want it to be like Roy's car....

You will need like 24"s in the front and 15's in the back:D:D:D

Don

+ 1 on Magnums

And call Summit racing for them, last time I was there they had them for 124.95 each 15 X 7's

Hi Ken,

My two cents: Magnum 500. Not that I mind the idea of 17 inch rims, but the GT wheel just doesn't look right on the car. Completely wrong style of wheel.

Be careful, if you go for the 17 inch Magnum 500 though. The ones I have seen look somewhat wrong in terms of proportions. They have the center like the 15 inch and only the rim well has a step in it to extend it to 17 inch. Looks weird in my opinion.

15 inch magnums. Nothing looks as good to me. I went with 15x7 front, 15x8 rear, Wheel Vintiques from Summit. They buy in such quantity no one can beat their price. However, opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

Chuck

I have to agree with you guys the look of the GT rim isn't right ....I'll stick with my magnums for now until I can get some 17" magnums.

Thanks everyone.

Ken
wow ... I'm glad you made that choice. I didnt want to chime in and say NOOooooooooo :D:D:D

Magnums, definitely. Not saying the right 17's wouldn't look great... gotta agree with Scott - those GTs are all wrong for the car.

If you want some 17s for the Pirellis, maybe think about some late-model Torque Thrust-looking wheels - like the ones xoliex just picked up for his Mach 1.

I have an extra set of 17" wheels for my 04 Mach 1 that are reminisent of the Magnum 500's. On a whim I tried them on my 73 Convert with disc brakes and they came in contact with the caliper. Maybe a spacer would allow them to work, but I'm using the original 73 aluminum wheels.

(these pics are before I restored the brakes)

DSCF4589.jpg

DSCF4588.jpg

DSCF4587.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back