460 in a '71-'73. Shock tower mods?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I know a 460 will fit. My question is, can modifications be made to the shock towers for a little more room? I've heard that a 460 is still tight. Especially with headers.

I was thinking of modifying the shock towers to widen them a tad more. Any ideas?

^

Provided you use the correct engine mounts. Otherwise the left valve cover will be virtually scraping the master cylinder.

-Kurt

A few of our members have gone that route with success. Check for some threads with usernames xoliex and auron1973mach1. I believe Crites engine mounts were mentioned.

I recently spoke with auron1971mach1 (he lives here in San Angelo), and it sounds like he's thinking of sticking with good ol' iron manifolds (for now, at least), since he's having troubles finding the right headers.

Hope that helps!

I havent put my 521 in yet, which is a stroked out 429 which is basically the same engine block. I got the whole Crites setup, motor and transmission mounts as well as their headers. From all the write ups i have seen it will go right in no problems. Hope to have mine in sometime this year or early next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Crites headers long tubes or shorties? Honestly, my biggest concern is spark plug removal. I just hate paying someone to do something I can do myself. I have heard a few say it's no problem and a few say it's a PITA. Besides the Cleveland in my '73, I have only had Windsors.

Isn't the 460 the same block as a 429, which was already available as a 1971 engine option?

Yes.. I'm not arguing with the fact that it fits. I know that. But they also had big blocks in '67s as well. I'm just asking if tower mods would "help" considering I would have to pull the engine anyways. Obviously headers will take up more space than original manifolds.

The Crites are long tube and come bare metal, so you have to get them coated yourself, that's why they don't charge that much for them. This company makes a mid length, but it has smaller diameter tubes. I wrote them asking some questions and they quoted me a price that i thought was a little high but they look like a quality product. They have a pic on their website for them.

Line Item 12

Ford Powertrain

Cazsper,

I have a 460 in my 73 Mach 1 with cast iron 1985 truck exhaust manifolds. I used the stock Ford OEM motor mounts & towers from a 71 429 car. Fit & access for all components is ok and IMO it would not be worth the extra effort to modify the shock towers just for easier access.

Thanks, Jay

Caszper, do yourself a favour and go to a local car show and hunt down a 429 Mustang. Or make an appointment with a forum member with 429/460 71 - 73 and go and check it out. Only by checking it by yourself you can determine can you live with the stock shocktowers.

IMHO the best thing you can do with stock shocktower 71 - 73 with 429/460 is to get notched valvecovers instead of the megatall Ford Racing aluminium covers. I had them on 460cid '72 and lived happily but once I got the Blue Thunder notched Competition covers I falled in love. They bring a 1-2" of extra clearence. I mean you can remove the plugs with 1/2" full lenght ratchet with spark plug socket without a hesitation.

Caszper, do yourself a favour and go to a local car show and hunt down a 429 Mustang. Or make an appointment with a forum member with 429/460 71 - 73 and go and check it out. Only by checking it by yourself you can determine can you live with the stock shocktowers.

IMHO the best thing you can do with stock shocktower 71 - 73 with 429/460 is to get notched valvecovers instead of the megatall Ford Racing aluminium covers. I had them on 460cid '72 and lived happily but once I got the Blue Thunder notched Competition covers I falled in love. They bring a 1-2" of extra clearence. I mean you can remove the plugs with 1/2" full lenght ratchet with spark plug socket without a hesitation.

Thank you. I appreciate it..

Thank you. I appreciate it..

I am sticking with the oe manifolds for my 429. Besides the price of headers, I still want to be able to remove/replace plugs easily (well, more easy than with headers!) Right now it isn't that bad, unless you have hands like an ape.

I totally understand what you are saying. But I would like the performance benefits of headers. Especially if I going with aluminum heads, intake, maybe a stroker.. I totally understand that the 460 fits these cars. They came with them from the factory.. I get that. But if it's recommended to modify the shock towers of a '68 mustang to swap in a 460, I'm just wondering if the same modifications would help on a '71-'73...

I have the hooker 6115's and they fit good I thought.A couple of plugs ain't great to get too ,but no more than any other vehcle with headers i've had.I personaly would not modify the shock towers just for that,unless you want to put some kind of fancy font end under it,or just want something different.

Apples to oranges comparison. '68 is much narrower from the enginebay. You will need to modify the shocktowers from '65-'68 to be able to mount the 429/460 if you want to do it good. MPG headservice do offer a offset enginemounts for '67-'68 Mustang when the engine sits littlebit higher and forward compared to the normal. '69 and '70 will benefit from cutting the shocktowers otherwise pretty tight. '71-'73 are whole another animals, wider enginebay and huge notches at the shocktowers.

There is complitely no need to modify the stock shocktowers of '71-'73 with 385-engine if unless the main purpose is to make modifications.

I have cast Galaxie manifolds on my 429. The only thing that bugs me getting to the drivers side plugs are the power steering hoses. I keep thinking of routing hard lines under the fender to solve that issue, I think that would tidy it up nicely. I might just use the currently redundant front to back engine bay fuel line as the return as that is easy to do. I have never seen an engine looks so 'right' in a bay as the 385 big block in a 71-73.

:)Hello and welcome to our blog. I have a 71 Mach1 that started as a 351. I now have a 70 mercury cyclone 429 cobra jet in it. I haven't started it yet but I have Hooker Super comps ceramic coated. Fit fine still have access to all plugs. I have PS with lines run. The big thing for me was getting ahold of the metal engine mounts both frame side and engine side. I wanted it in the original position. I have the dreaded Ford Racing Tall Valve covers. It didn't allow us to use the wilwood master cylinder but an explorer fit fine. The reason for the high valve covers is a stud girdle. Someone here already told you of the valve covers to use instead. We have a March Billet Track system with all accesssories mounted and lines run. We didn't have room for standard fan so have done some fiddling there.

If you can get all the mounting brackets for acces froma donor car or truck with 429 460 and keep your life simpler.

Only reason to modify your shock tower is if you want to modify suspension or steering. Otherwise leave them alone. everything fits.

Hope this helps and welcome here. I have been saved many times by the good people here.

:)Hello and welcome to our blog. I have a 71 Mach1 that started as a 351. I now have a 70 mercury cyclone 429 cobra jet in it. I haven't started it yet but I have Hooker Super comps ceramic coated. Fit fine still have access to all plugs. I have PS with lines run. The big thing for me was getting ahold of the metal engine mounts both frame side and engine side. I wanted it in the original position. I have the dreaded Ford Racing Tall Valve covers. It didn't allow us to use the wilwood master cylinder but an explorer fit fine. The reason for the high valve covers is a stud girdle. Someone here already told you of the valve covers to use instead. We have a March Billet Track system with all accesssories mounted and lines run. We didn't have room for standard fan so have done some fiddling there.

If you can get all the mounting brackets for acces froma donor car or truck with 429 460 and keep your life simpler.

Only reason to modify your shock tower is if you want to modify suspension or steering. Otherwise leave them alone. everything fits.

Hope this helps and welcome here. I have been saved many times by the good people here.
Thank you.. I really appreciate it.. I have been teetering between building a stroked small block or building a 460 based motor. Every time I think I'll stick with a smallblock, a big block drives by..

How does your car handle? I've heard people say it's much heavier and the front end tends to push through the corners. I'm planning a purely street car. But I want it to be sporty and still handle. I figure there's no reason for 500+hp if you can't turn or stop.. Thanks again..

Mike

Back