71 Mach drag racing stories and others

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach I
351c 2v
highly optioned

67 Mustang Convertible
1 of 35 Diamond Blue
Survivor
m8drag.JPG

Its time to discuss racing...the old races you've seen or even war stories of a friend. Now I'm not a friend of Billy but a good friend is.

So this is a great ole track in the circuit up till about the early 90's I think. Many other old historical tracks out there. Let's hear about them.

Boy the good ole days!

At Fremont CA there was a strip that I took my 69 to in the mid 80's.

The car did 15s with a 302, 4sp, and street tires. The second car I ran was a 73 firebird with a BBC that ran 11s with slicks.

I should have taken more photos back in the day...oh well.

I think the track closed in the early 90s land was too valuable.

2u7rc4m.jpg

2wh305u.jpg

Very cool!! Very good PIC! yeah we sometimes or use to be reluctant to take a lot of pics due to the cost. Now with phones...well its a lot easier. I have one of mine I'll post tonight. A 67 Coupe with a 400hp 302 built by AER in Dallas.

Ramsey_Small_zps5dff7172.jpg

I'm sure you guys remember me discussing the 421 Pontiac

SWISS CHEESE CAR!!!!

SwissCheesePontiac_1500.jpg

581.jpg

In my old stomping grounds. My my quite a few trips up there with my brothers 66 Mustang. OF COURSE....they had to change the name of the drag strip, now known as Music City Drag. I am quite certain whomever WHINNED probably wasnt even a drag race fan.

I had forgotten they renamed the track to Baylands Raceway.

Looking back when I was abt 10 yo there was a swap meet on weekends next to the track that the parents would take me to and while they were checking out the crap for sale I was glued to a hole in the track fence watching the drag cars... seed planted!

2hx3kpl.jpg

2dvmr0g.jpg

...circa 1987-88... where my love of the 460 was born.
yeah good ole days. We went to Beech Bend quite often as well and saw some fun stuff. Bo my brother raced a camaro ....after the drags on one of those beautiful long Kentucky roads.... myself and another brother were in a Dodge Dart....running 105 and couldnt see either of them.

71-3 Dragsters

War Horse

Gold Digger

Billy Meyer's 'Motivation"

Boss Hoss (was it ever really a drag car or just a promotional)

Trojan Horse

Chris Karamesines

Bob Taylors Hemi Hoss

Harry Hudson's 427

John Collins

John Powers

The ONLY pic I could find of the Boss Hoss

JohnEadsBossHoss71Mustang1-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dad said he remembered watching a 73 like ours run stock class at Cordova Dragway in Cordova Illinois in the 70's. He thought it was our car, as it had a NHRA "Winner" #1 sticker on the glove box when we bought it. It was one of those cool '70's style metal flake stickers. Dad took it off when I was a kid, but I couldn't find it when I cleaned out his house.

Dad said he remembered watching a 73 like ours run stock class at Cordova Dragway in Cordova Illinois in the 70's. He thought it was our car, as it had a NHRA "Winner" #1 sticker on the glove box when we bought it. It was one of those cool '70's style metal flake stickers. Dad took it off when I was a kid, but I couldn't find it when I cleaned out his house.
ahh that would be cool if you could have found it. maybe in an old photo album or something. I love the old drag cars and run what ya brung.

I see that your in Olympia.... I'm working on a project with a customer located in Milton just up the road from you.

Not mustang related but let me regale you with tales of my career as a TopFuel bike rider.

Back in the early 90s Ric and Mav brought a world record holding fuel bike of the Hells Angels. Mr White tells me Luke you like to go fast,go see Mav and Ric they brought the Fuel bike. I land at Rics bike shop they say we need a rider interested. I smile and say something like I have just found nitro bikes are the life for me looks like we have a deal. I Front up Saturday morning we move a few of the controls about set the pegs for me check the frame is straight and everything is good to go. So with that out comes the battery and starter and Mav and Ric try to start it up. Well it hydraulics and sprays parts about. They fix it I go back it explodes in the shed again. I inform the boys that I am losing faith in their ability to tune and maintain a fuel bike. They go off and have several long calls to Jim McClure fuel harley legend. Things seem under control it starts and runs well now so we get the bike too the track for licensing up the mix of pop in the tank and they explode the friggin thing in the pits lol.

So after threatening to stab them with the bit of jagged barrel I picked up I said I have recently found that nitro bikes aren't the life for me see you gentleman later,oh and by the way you owe me 1 pair of Levi's and 1 pair of leathers :) So ended my Fuel Bike carer 1 more tale of the neverwas haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Not mustang related but let me regale you with tales of my career as a TopFuel bike rider.

Back in the early 90s Ric and Mav brought a world record holding fuel bike of the Hells Angels. Mr White tells me Luke you like to go fast,go see Mav and Ric they brought the Fuel bike. I land at Rics bike shop they say we need a rider interested. I smile and say something like I have just found nitro bikes are the life for me looks like we have a deal. I Front up Saturday morning we move a few of the controls about set the pegs for me check the frame is straight and everything is good to go. So with that out comes the battery and starter and Mav and Ric try to start it up. Well it hydraulics and sprays parts about. They fix it I go back it explodes in the shed again. I inform the boys that I am losing faith in their ability to tune and maintain a fuel bike. They go off and have several long calls to Jim McClure fuel harley legend. Things seem under control it starts and runs well now so we get the bike too the track for licensing up the mix of pop in the tank and they explode the friggin thing in the pits lol.

So after threatening to stab them with the bit of jagged barrel I picked up I said I have recently found that nitro bikes aren't the life for me see you gentleman later,oh and by the way you owe me 1 pair of Levi's and 1 pair of leathers :) So ended my Fuel Bike carer 1 more tale of the neverwas haha
LMBO.... I want to hear the part where you told Hells Angels guys they didnt know what they were doing!!! :D but you should have known ...it was "borrowed" so SOMETHING might go wrong! :udaman: :banana:

DESCRIPTION: In late 1968 after returning from Vietnam, Andy Plym of Niles, Michigan caught the drag racing bug, and soon after purchased a Boss 302 Mustang. Having limited success he turned to Gapp and Roush Racing of Livonia, Michigan for advice. They suggested a 428 1970 Mustang coupe. This was the start of the Polaris Drag Team. Team members included Larry Mihaleil, Jerry Baker, Wayne Van Gilder, Bill Reeves, and Andy Plym. They went with a Red, White and Blue patriotic theme called the “American Way”. Super stock racing was very successful to the Polaris Drag Team. So they decided to add a Pro Stock car to their efforts.

With the expertise of Larry Mihalek and his connections with the Ford Drag Team, they selected a new 1971 Fastback Mustang. It was a plain Jane, Grabber Blue, 6 cylinder, 3-speed, Sportsroof, VIN 1F02L135858. The 1971 Mustang car was immediately cut apart at the dealership, and hauled to California for acid dipping. It was next taken to the Logghe Brothers Shop for tin, brakes and chassis work. They chose a Gapp and Roush raised port Boss 429 engine backed by a B&M clutch and a C6 transmission. These were all first for Pro Stock. A Dana 60 with 4:88 gear ratio was used. The body is currently restored to the same red, white, and blue Polaris Drag Team colors, including the unique red, white and blue interior – seats, door panels and carpet. This car was raced Nationwide along with the Super Stock car, winning many awards including the Best Appearing Crew Award in Indianapolis in 1972 and 1973. When the team disbanded after the 1973 season, the car was painted all red and raced in the Midwest until it was put in storage in the mid 80’s.

5_13.JPG

Fast forward to 2012 when VIN 1F02L135858 received a rotisserie restoration on the original acid dipped body, which includes a fiberglass hood and deck lid, and it still retains the Logghe tin, brakes and chassis work. A Holman and Moody Boss 429 was topped with Gapp and Roush Raised Port Heads and matching tunnel Ram which Dynoed at 703 HP. All this is backed with an NOS B&M clutch which operates a C-6 transmission. This Polaris Drag Team Pro Stock 1971 Mustang is a TRUE piece of drag racing history. HIGHLIGHTS - 1971 Pro Stock Mustang, the original Polaris Race Team “American Way” - Vintage 1970’s Pro Stocker with documented history - Holman Moody fresh Boss 429 engine, dyno tested at 700 HP - Gapp and Rousch raised port heads with matching tunnel ram - B&M clutch operated C6 transmission - Original acid dipped 1971 body - Dana 60 with 4.88 gears - Rotisserie restoration - Fiberglass hood and deck lid - Best Appearing Crew award at Indy in 1972 - Originally a six cylinder, 3-speed car that was converted to a Pro Stocker when new - A unique part of drag racing history - Press release kit

I actually have an original press release kit from this race team. Jerry Baker is an old family friend here in OKC. I haven't spoke with him in a couple of years - last I heard his health was marginal at best... Serious Ford fan.

1_13.JPG

here are some pics of the (new 6 cyl) car being stripped. Jerry told me the dealership (I think in Michigan?) and its salesmen were freaking out that anyone would totally destroy a complete car to make a race car!

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

new5.jpg

Ray

Back