center console correct paint and plastichrome

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
Trying to figure out how my center dash is supposed to look when I am done. Is this one concourse correct with the plasti-chrome on top layers of outline only? Is there any part of this that is not right?

Does the plastic chrome edge go all the way to the way to the flat section? Does the clock bezel have the same chrome edges. Reson I ask is because the clock bezel appears to have chrome on the whole piece.

mump_0611_08z+1972_ford_mustang+center_console (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i would need more photos from different angles but the chrome should just be on the outlines.

on the clock bezel many times the painted chrome peels off the paint or comes off in chunks.

you can look here for some more photos.

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_interior.htm

Super early 1971 cars with the center console got a wood decal that matched the doors on the clock bezel, but later they it was black and chrome trim.

you can see in the photos how the console was painted depending on interior colors.

Yes the chrome stip does go all the way to the end of the console and the clock face is also chrome trimmed. The console stip beyond the clock is not visible when installed. If you would like to see an original untouched console installed PM me. I am just east of Cordova on Macon Rd.

I started cleaning off the matt black that was not all that carefully sprayed. Looks like most of the plastic chrome is alright. I have some leather chrome paint that I think might just do it for touchups. I will play with the ton of air brush paint I have and figure out how to fix the specs that are not right. Here are some pics of the starting point and I got carried away and already cleaned up the section around the shifter before I took a pic. It was all black before.

20140727_135123.jpg

20140727_135146.jpg

20140727_135253.jpg

20140727_135107.jpg

I may be starting over. I used satin plastic paint for a practice run and it seems a little thick to me. Not a fan of the pattern that it assumed on the surface. I will leave in the thousand degree garage and see how it turns out. Hopefully it shrinks up and tightens up on the pattern(wishful thinking). I think the piece I did will be the easiest to start over one. I agree on the plasti chrome. It may be hard to get it right and I will try and see how it looks before I put anything on it.

Here is another one to give a little different perspective. I had to cut up a roll of scotch blue tape to get the plastic chrome masked off. The auto parts store does not sell pinstriping masking tape. They suck.

20140727_155357.jpg

20140727_160832.jpg

I started cleaning up the center dash pod and it appears to have had someone fine sand it for painting. Probably a great idea except the toolbag sanded off the plastic chrome. I did not know to look for this when I bought it. Looks like I will find another to start on or use it to figure out how to get the chrome to look wright with paint or such. We will see, I have one in the car but gauges don't work so I am not all that excited about having gauges that don't belong there. Can't wait to see what I find behind the dash. Hopefully wiring is not hacked to bits.

The dash can come out in 1 unit if you really want to get into the wiring behind it. L-Brackets at each end on the bottom, 2 bolts at the top and a support bracket behind the glove box. The fuse box needs to be seperated by removing the pass through bolt.

I finished the bottom piece today. I will get after the other parts later.

20140727_195342.jpg

Chrome on plastic parts was vaporized aluminum back in the day.

I am redoing my console and considered foil tape for the chrome outline but havnt tried it yet.

there is also a new chrome in a can product that may be amazing. I have seen a demo of it on TV last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8doRw9V3c

Regards

My solution to this problem is a bit simpler, I decided to buy a part with the chrome still on it. thanks for sharing, I actually watched it to the end.

Going to take the Sun gages out of the center dash and go to stock setup for my car. Not even sure to makeshift gages are hooked up. They don't work. Here is the rejuvenated center console.

20140811_180203.jpg

Back