Picked up some monster vintage PA speakers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
The block going to love me now " or hate i mean" hehe Picked up these from my band mates music store..He got them on trade in, had a hard time looking them up..He runing out of space too.he has mountains of equipment allready..So i made a offer and now here they sit..lol..From what i been told they are some of the best from the time period for horned woofers and hard to find...I had to join a audio forum just to find anything out about them...They told me better than JBL's at the time and twice as hard to find..They rarely see them unmolested like these...Only minor scuffs over all .. I'm thinkin about monster home stereo..lol..or nastalgic pa i can use with the band if ours ever goes tits up, and private parties " and still home stereo " hehe

Some one put some tape on the side as grafics on the tweets....Guessing during the 80's crazy van halen or some type for a show..They have consecutive serial numbers too..They all 1 number off eachother. So it is a matching set rolled off the factory line at the same time. interesting..Some guy had them in a apartment and they was too big for what he needed...Still got to clean them up, just got them home..lol

P7260071.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a story about a old dude that rang the cops to complain about a Motorhead gig being too loud. He said his tv had maxed out the volume and he still couldn't hear it 3 miles from the venue lol. Your neighbour's will love it :D

PS. I dare you to hook them to the door bell hehe.

PS. I dare you to hook them to the door bell hehe.
Mike, I'll send you $11 to do that, if you post the video on this site or link to YouTube. Come to think of it, I may do that myself with my floor wedges. Devilish idea, now that I'm thinking about the garage door opener, which is more readily accessible!

What brand are they? I can't make it out on my crappy screen!

Definitely look like they will jam! When I was a DJ many moons ago, my partners and I bought some giant speakers from a band supply house in Pittsburgh...turns out they were part of the gear used on AC/DC's Highway to Hell Tour! Man, did they jam!

I see a huge drop in real estate prices in your neighborhood in the next few months. :)
+11. LOL. Those are huge horns - if you have subs to match, your neighbors 3 blocks away are in serious trouble. :)
Well..I got some subs i can borrow for now ...Our band has four 18 inch woofers...I'll have to look for a good power amp for them...i found out today the tweeter boxes can handle up too 650 watts a peice..lol...woofers are SRO..Kick arse speaker for its time...they run at about 300 watts a peice...sooo to push just this set to its max will take around a 2000 watt amp...add sub woofer ill be up too 2500 watt mark. Not too shabby for a 1970's set up :)

What brand are they? I can't make it out on my crappy screen!

Definitely look like they will jam! When I was a DJ many moons ago, my partners and I bought some giant speakers from a band supply house in Pittsburgh...turns out they were part of the gear used on AC/DC's Highway to Hell Tour! Man, did they jam!
They are made by Kustom. They are best know for there Tuck-And-Roll amps ...They known for making made high end stuff at the time " not so much now" They got junked in the late 80's...I am thinking these mite of come from some big band.." or some band that went no were"..They are a macthing set..Meaning they was bout at the time with amps and everything..No watts marked out on the cabs, guess cause they expected you to run the package that was sold to you. CCR was known for runing alot of Kustom stuff on stage..They said during the 70's they had to carry all there own amps and such..most places had horrible sound systems and make them sound bad...Later on the home systems got better at the gigs..So too save money..Most stopped carrying all there own PA by the 80's...Speakers like these ended up in storage rooms or getting beat up in little bar bands..lol

according to some this set i got come from around mid 70's...the information on them online is piss poor.

Wow ... that looks COOL talk'n OLD SCHOOL

Im pretty dumb in the music field ...I would look like Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein trying to sing, dance or play. So do you recall a brand back in the 70's called Sur Vocal Master??? my friend back then lived in a posh area and lived across the street from a big wig at WSM who at that time owned the Grand Ole Opry Park. When it flooded he gave Mike some bad azz speakers and a bunch of Marantz stuff to push them FOR FREE!!! it WAS the party house and let it be known I was NOT there when THE BIG PARTY took place.

Wow ... that looks COOL talk'n OLD SCHOOL

Im pretty dumb in the music field ...I would look like Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein trying to sing, dance or play. So do you recall a brand back in the 70's called Sur Vocal Master??? my friend back then lived in a posh area and lived across the street from a big wig at WSM who at that time owned the Grand Ole Opry Park. When it flooded he gave Mike some bad azz speakers and a bunch of Marantz stuff to push them FOR FREE!!! it WAS the party house and let it be known I was NOT there when THE BIG PARTY took place.
Yup..think it was called the Shure master vocal..spendy stuff..I got a old marantz my self..hehe and they was king dog back in the day..Before pioneer got them and junked them..lol

I'm betting your lights (and your neighbors) will dim when you "crank em" up! Nice.

Jim
Oh hell ya!! ;)

Took a pick of me standing with them...I am 6'5" tall..Gives you a real idea how big they are..lol

P7290082.JPG

Crap. Ignore my previous post. You don't need no subs - those are MONSTERS!

pulp_fiction.jpg

"ahhh man you'd dig it tha most"

Crap. Ignore my previous post. You don't need no subs - those are MONSTERS!
lol!! Yup..In a bigger show these would make a fine addition..My band would never let me use such a vintage set on stage..They stuck on new stuff too much ;)

Soo they are mine to deal with..One of the head guru's just told me on audiokarma "They're beautiful, and impossibly rare in that condition. Please preserve them" Score to me, but for some nothing but heavy waste of space...But these ones will kick the doors off my place and then some. I cannot wait to find a nice power head to run them with. and if anything i can easy make my money back easy, I got them for a steal.

Here are a couple pics that I found from my DJ days!

Celestion and Pulse speakers stacked in my Dads garage (we did hook up and jam some tunes with this stack! That is one of my old DJ partners on top.

c2l2g.jpg

This was our coffin and amp rack...I believe that was close to 10,000 watts right there!

29ay3cx.jpg

We did a lot of proms and big events that required stadium sound...LOL!

Here are a couple pics that I found from my DJ days!

Celestion and Pulse speakers stacked in my Dads garage (we did hook up and jam some tunes with this stack! That is one of my old DJ partners on top.

c2l2g.jpg

This was our coffin and amp rack...I believe that was close to 10,000 watts right there!

29ay3cx.jpg

We did a lot of proms and big events that required stadium sound...LOL!
Awesome set up man...Not many roll around with that much gear anymore..hehe Most depend on the house systems now days.. " which i have to say are much better over the years" Plus you dont beat up your own gear..lol..Back in the late 80's and 90's i use too work for the same store my band mate now owns. They use to rent us and the gear out too big bands that popped in " BTO...Pearl Jam" Some of the bigger local shows that come around... I was light and sound tech, Helped hooking up sound and i ran the light bar and robots all night...We had multi racks of old school Audio Centron RMA's..We was the biggest set up in our area at the time and ever sence...Market on such rentals hit bottom unless you live in a super big town..lol...Most of the stuff is still back in the music store thou..Just collecting dust in storage. " shakes head" shame...He still rents them out "But no one needs so much gear local".Usually small bars renting Karaoke gear anymore. and a few times he gets some cool " we need a nostalgic peice of equiment call" He has tons of old rolland and fender amps people would die for..He will not sell them either... " i tried" ..lol But i did get these speakers from him..just cause he was out of room in 2 storage houses..lol

Back