Motor Oil Recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351 Cleveland 2V Automatic
I was wondering what motor oil everyone is running?

I've read all about flat tappet cams and Zinc and how certain elements are now missing in oil now that I am to worried to change my oil. I bought some Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 after reading how these fleet oils still have some of the same chemistry as the older oils. Does anyone use these oils?

I was also wondering what oil filter is a good choice. I bought a WIX filter based on past experience. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

Taylor

The Wix is a good choice on the filter. As for oil if your engine has some miles on it the zinc is not as big an issue as it fills into the pores of the surfaces and continues to provide lubricity. Valvoline racing oil has some zinc but lower levels than the older oils. If you have a flat tappet cam on a rebuild use a break-in oil like Brad Penn or similar. I am using the Motorcraft synthetic blend in a 10w-30.

Valvoline VR-1 a fairly cost effective choice that is locally available to me.

Edelbrock and Summit are now also marketing "performance" oils with the requisite ZDDP contents but I haven't tried either.

i'm using royal purple Engine Break in Oil, which also claims use for Flat Tappet engines.

using a K&N gold filter and a magnetic oil plug in the pan(which caught a 1MM chunk of something last year)

I'm using Brad Penn breakin oil, which is REALLY great stuff, for the breakin of my motor this weekend. I bought it from a speed shop in town for $5.75/quart. The regular Brad Penn is also supposed to be great stuff from a zinc & phosphorous point, and it's about a buck or so less per quart.

For me, I'm going to be running Valvoline VR-1, it has nice specs and I can buy it locally at my Napa store.

I' m looking for break-in oil and probably will buy it local because of the shipping added. Speedshops are higher but no shipping, but then pay tax. Who's cheapest besides your's truely..lol

Best break-in oil I was recommended - universally - by everybody I talked to, speed shops, engine builders, machinists is Brad Penn. Less than $6/quart locally here in Colorado. It strikes me that $30 worth of oil to stop from destroying $2500 of rebuild costs is worth it and then some.

Consider Joe Gibbs break in and regular use oil. Cheap insurance. Some times cheap costs you a lot of money. Wix builds good filters. I use their racing filters on the hot rod stuff and regular filter on the drivers.

Chuck

I think I am going to go with Valvoline since it is available locally. Something about having oil shipped to me doesn't seem right.

Thanks for all the help.

Taylor

Does NAPA stock Brad Penn break in oil?
+1 on Joe Gibbs engine oil. Formulation hasn't changed like all the other consumer engine oils. I've heard that the diesel engine oils have been reformulated too now.

Back