7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HKramer

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang, original 351ci Cleveland 4V and FMX automatic transmission. 3.0 positraction rear
I have a 1971 Mustang 2 door hardtop which has been in the family since new. It has an original 351 Cleveland 4V and FMX 3 speed automatic transmission. It has a 3.0 rear. The vinyl top is original.

At 65 MPH the engine is turning 3,000 RPM and it feels like it needs another gear (4th). Is there any way to replace the current FMX with a 4 speed automatic transmission and if so what transmission?

Welcome to the site from Virginia. I have a manual but there's people here who have upgraded to the aod transmission. I'll let them chime in on what had to be done.

Sounds like a nice ride, we love pics.

I have a 1971 Mustang 2 door hardtop which has been in the family since new. It has an original 351 Cleveland 4V and FMX 3 speed automatic transmission. It has a 3.0 rear. The vinyl top is original.

At 65 MPH the engine is turning 3,000 RPM and it feels like it needs another gear (4th). Is there any way to replace the current FMX with a 4 speed automatic transmission and if so what transmission?
welcome from Latrobe PA! Mine came w/the Q code ie cleveland dual exhaust hurst

wide ratio 4 speed manual but if it was an automatic or 3 speed standard-i would have gone a five or even 6 speed but i went gear vendors overdrive w/my top loader. This overdrive if could atch to the 6 speed ~ tremac-something to research then why not go all out w/a turbo or two then a NOS boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back