72 race car update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460bbf

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1 with A bbf
I figured I would start my own thread so people could see what I'm doing to my 72 over the next several months. When I bought the car it had a 73 nose on it and I was never very happy with it so I ordered a new one piece 72 nose.

I started fitting the front end the other day. There is a bunch of fab work left but should only take a day or two to get it all together.

I just finished putting a 460 based motor together for this car. hopefully it will put the car into the 9.70's

Bought some new dancing shoes the other day

So once we get the fuel car all put back together I will get a little extra time to start the paint on the 72, i just finished painting the AA/FD dragster and I wont feel like sanding very soon. We should be making a pass in a couple weeks with it.

The cougar is broke at the moment, just have not had time with the 72 and fuel car to jerk the motor out and see what happened, I think it spun a bearing. Anyway its a ladder bar, and is gutted drag only type of car. Powered by small block with an Enderle injection set up on top. back by a c4 trans. we never made a good pass with the car, it was new to us this year, so I don't know what it will run.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like you had Tulsa all to yourselves, very cool. Chuck

dang near, there were not many people there that Sunday.

got all the tube frame work all patched back together and the hood on, but it needs to be redrilled. now to start building duz fastioner brackets.

this thing has been eating my lunch lately, spent a hole day welding up holes were the old doors bolted on and building just 1/2 the duz tap brackets. I will try and get a few pictures next couple days. On a better note the nostalgia top fuel car has been lettered and is ready to make a few test laps.

Beautiful Vehicles X3 ::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

I have a few videos of us running the car, I do not own the car but one of the three crew members, we did a lot of updates this winter after hitting the wall. We are going out Friday to test the new combo.

this is the pass he hit the wall

anther, you can see the oil plume from the car right at the end of the video

finally got the new fiberglass completely mounted and made it to a couple races, nothing moved at 130mph so I guess me mounting worked out.

if you wanted to know we tore the cougar small block down it indeed spun a bearing. need to replace rods and possibly crank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not got a whole lot done on the cars, the last three months I have been building a new shop so that we could better service the cars. The one car garage we were working out of was not cutting it with both the cars. I did get the motor out of the car and all the shields sent off for recertification. most the parts are back to put the cougar motor together except for the barrel valve. Both transmissions are off to be freshened. hopefully parts start rolling back in right after the first of the year so I can get them ready to race.

It did not take long to fill the shop. there is how the car sits with the nose off.

Back