Standard hubcaps for 14x7" cars - how deep?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
I've been trying to pick up a set of hub caps for the '71 with some difficulty.

Far as I can tell, there are two variants of "Ford Motor Company" hub caps (within the variants used for '71-73, that is - not including the brushed vs. polished finish):

Deep:

$_57.JPG

Shallow:

$_57.JPG

Is the deep one strictly an Econoline thing, or are they the correct caps for 14x7" wheels?

-Kurt

Are you sure? I always thought the shallow caps were correct for Mustangs.

I always thought these caps were factory correct for my '71 Grande.

mike
Yes those are the base hubcaps

next would be optional dogdish

then sport covers

then magnums

Are you sure? I always thought the shallow caps were correct for Mustangs.
Interesting - your comment made me review the screenshots of Eleanor. Toby Halicki split the difference, apparently. Front left of Eleanor has a shiny, shallow cap from a pre-1971 car. The rear left has deep caps from a 14x7" car:

Shallow:

jv591g.png

Deep:

rsscqa.png

I should have looked at my own image archive too. The surviving Diamonds are Forever car wears deep caps (though they are not necessarily the originals - Buzz Bundy drove this car with Cragar S/S wheels in Ford's Tournament of Thrills, so the source of these wheels and caps could be anything):

13ynjgz.jpg

Seems to be the case on a factory original too:

24e6yds.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
The econoline caps are very deep and therefore different from the Mustang caps. I used econoline caps on the 15x8 aftermarket wheels to keep a similar look as the front 15x7 wheels with stock mustang caps. The Mustang caps on the wider rear wheels looked shallow and odd. The econoline caps looked right.

The econoline caps are very deep and therefore different from the Mustang caps. I used econoline caps on the 15x8 aftermarket wheels to keep a similar look as the front 15x7 wheels with stock mustang caps. The Mustang caps on the wider rear wheels looked shallow and odd. The econoline caps looked right.
Aren't the Econoline caps about an inch larger in diameter? Or is that exclusive to the larger 5x5" bolt pattern rims vs. the Mustang's 5x4.5"? Have any photos?

-Kurt

I always thought cars got chrome caps, and trucks got brushed.

I have a set of chrome car caps on my F-100 that I saved from a metal yard.

IMG_2050.jpg

I don't know if the 14" vs 15" caps have different diameters, but I do know that the 16"/16.5" truck wheels have a larger diameter cap the the 15" truck wheels..

I always thought cars got chrome caps, and trucks got brushed.

I have a set of chrome car caps on my F-100 that I saved from a metal yard.

I don't know if the 14" vs 15" caps have different diameters, but I do know that the 16"/16.5" truck wheels have a larger diameter cap the the 15" truck wheels..
Some sources say '71 went to brushed. The unmodified cars in Diamonds are Forever appear to correlate this theory.

The 16/16.5" truck wheels must have the 5x5" pattern. Case in point: The 15x7" Ford steel wheels on the 1970's Lincoln Continentals and Marks are 5x5", with the larger diameter hub cap ridge on their centers. They'd be a good source for 15" Mustang steelies if it weren't for the bolt pattern and center.

-Kurt

Well Kurt I gave you some bad information. Kit is correct it's the shallow cap your looking for. Today I went threw my stash and found the 2 extra caps I have. Once I put my hands on the big cap I knew kit was right. Then I pulled my trim ring on my car, whoops i'm a dumb ass.:D Over the years I've seen cars with caps that seem to be to short or flush with the back of the trim ring like the pic you have of Eleanor. So is it the wrong trim ring on these cars or?

fender 2 012.jpg

fender 2 013.jpg

So is it the wrong trim ring on these cars or?
Someone put a 14x6" steel wheel on your Mach in place of the 14x7". That's why the deep-dish hub cap is too deep on it.

-Kurt

P.S.: I have two driver-quality 14x6" trim rings that I'd be glad to pass on to anyone for the price of shipping (and I'll even cover shipping if someone will trade me one driver-quality 14x7" ring for the two 14x6" rings).

mike

mike
Yes those are the base hubcaps

next would be optional dogdish

then sport covers

then magnums
I believe both of you are correct - the base full wheelcover was correct for the Grande for 1971. But for '72 and '73 a new unique wheel cover was standard for the Grandes.

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1972style.shtml

This pic sucks - hopefully someone can take pic with one on their car. Not many use them as most Grande owners run repop Magnums that I have seen.

72 Grande brochure pic.JPG

Ray

The 72-73 Grande wheelcover was styled to emulate the painted wheelcovers on many Mercedes sedans of the era. Ford took a liberal amount of "inspiration" from Mercedes styling over the years...especially on the early Granada and 79-era Mustang.

It was actually so blatant that it probably worked against the "sophisticated" image Ford was trying to co-opt from Mercedes.

The 72-73 Grande wheelcover was styled to emulate the painted wheelcovers on many Mercedes sedans of the era. Ford took a liberal amount of "inspiration" from Mercedes styling over the years...especially on the early Granada and 79-era Mustang.

It was actually so blatant that it probably worked against the "sophisticated" image Ford was trying to co-opt from Mercedes.
Here it is, Kit:

1972_00017_04.jpg

Nice looking though, reminds me of some of Lincoln's turbine designs.

-Kurt

Back