Where to start? 1971 Spring Special Mustang Build Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Spring Special F-code - Sold
My name is Mason, Don65stang is my dad. I'm living in Hawaii and found this awesome deal I couldn't pass up. It is a 71 Spring Special with a 302. It's mostly all original right down to the AM radio and dog dish caps with 14" trim rings. I'm stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii for the next few years so I have some time to work on it. It runs great but it has some rust. I think with some hard wrench hours and sweat this will turn out to be a nice car.

Anyone have a coupe parts car?

Where should I start my restoration process?

image.jpg

Welcome from Virginia! You mention rust, where at? Typical places are cowl, floor pans, trunk floor, tail light panel, front aprons. I tackle the rust first, but importantly it's best not to get caught up in to much at one time or you will get burnt out on it.

Woohoo, this is my oldest son Mason! Welcome! Glad to see you on here with your new old car. There are hundreds of guys on here with a passion for these cars who are willing to share their knowledge. That's what makes this such a great place to hang out and ask questions. Plus you've ready met a few of them in person.

Your car has some rust challenges but attack them one at a time and you'll do fine with it. In your spare time read Mister 4x4's build thread and you will be inspired to take on anything...Eric's car was so rusty that the gas tank was held in place with a chain. He totally cut his rust bucket car in half and welded on an entirely different front end. Eric did not know how to weld or do body work when he started his project. It turned out amazing. That's just one story of hundreds where guys and a few girls have brought their cars back to life.

Here are some pics Mason sent me before he bought it.

71 spring special.jpg

imagejpeg_0_5.jpg

IMG_9914.jpg

imagejpeg_0_0.jpg

View attachment 25665

imagejpeg_0_4.jpg

Here is some of the rust I'm dealing with. Anyone have a coupe parts car?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is the rust issues, people say bondo, but every car guy says cut the rust out and put new metal in. That's what I plan to do, however I need to learn the skills to do so. I do have the back panel where the taillights go, just needs to get welded in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you've got some work cut out for you. No pun intended.

A donor door shouldn't be a biggie. The tail light panel isn't to bad to replace. How about under the car? Floor pans, frame, trunk floor?

I haven't seen a coupe rust like that behind the rear window and quarter glass.

Holy moly!

No offense intended, but you can't believe how seeing that makes me feel just a bit better about the rust issues on my '72 ;)

Sheet metal advice:

You'll probably have to settle for a repairable rear filler panel; most of them have some sort of rot or another in the corners. Cowls are reproduced (the non-A/C version with two hats though), as are the doors and taillight panel. I believe a forum member has a coupe donor car that could supply the patches for your quarter panels at the windows.

Don at OMS may have some workable coupe trunk corner fillers for you. Alternately, you may be able to bang them out of donor panels as I did (note that the coupe corners are much longer than the fastback): http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-cudak888-1971-m-code-soylent-green-huge-rear-end-damage-repair-project?pid=184286#pid184286

How are the trunk, floorpans, and - dare I ask - rear framerails?

-Kurt

Take some pics of the door hinge areas, frame rails, trunk floor, and under the hood that you were telling me about on the phone.

The more pics the better so we can see what we're dealing with.

::welcome:: to the site, nice to have another coupe join the family. You certainly do have a project ahead of you, but one nice thing about navy and marine corps bases is the auto skills shops that usually have all the tools you need and some old guys kickin around that have a wealth of on hand knowledge. I know for certain there is a big auto skills shop down at Hickam, but you shouldn't have to drive across the island, here you go.

http://www.military.com/base-guide/marine-corps-base-hawaii/contact/auto-skillshobby-shop/2037

Enjoy your car, and remember nothing is impossible on a muscle car.

Welcome from West Texas!

Wow! That is a lot of rust repair. As your Dad mentioned, you need to get under the carpet, into the door hinge areas, frame rails, trunk pan and drop-offs... along with the seat platforms, rear wheel houses, torque boxes, frame rails, battery tray, front aprons, rocker panels, and somehow look inside that cowl.

Being in Hawaii, I'd wager that poor ol' pony's ate up with rust everywhere from the ocean air.

Does your installation have an Auto Hobby Shop, or is there one nearby you can use?

So I checked the car out more... Everything that is good: trunk floor, battery tray, frame (surface rust), door hinges. The original owner had the car restored which explains why the interior is nearly perfect. From sitting for four years with no cover it's has rust in these spots.

All the electrical works.. lights, radio, dash. I've also noticed when cleaning the engine today that it was painted blue as well as transmission. So the engine has had work on it. The guy I bought it from did say he ran a compression test on it and cylinder test was low, and might need new rings. So far I bought a new alternator, starter, solenoid, regulator, and coil. It starts right up. It accelerates quick but I think it can do better.

I still need to pull the carpet up and check the floor panels, I'm sure they are a rusty, but will check tomorrow.

Welcome from West Texas!

Wow! That is a lot of rust repair. As your Dad mentioned, you need to get under the carpet, into the door hinge areas, frame rails, trunk pan and drop-offs... along with the seat platforms, rear wheel houses, torque boxes, frame rails, battery tray, front aprons, rocker panels, and somehow look inside that cowl.

Being in Hawaii, I'd wager that poor ol' pony's ate up with rust everywhere from the ocean air.

Does your installation have an Auto Hobby Shop, or is there one nearby you can use?

There is a hobby shop on base, that's where I bought it.:cool:

Holy moly!

No offense intended, but you can't believe how seeing that makes me feel just a bit better about the rust issues on my '72 ;)

Sheet metal advice:

You'll probably have to settle for a repairable rear filler panel; most of them have some sort of rot or another in the corners. Cowls are reproduced (the non-A/C version with two hats though), as are the doors and taillight panel. I believe a forum member has a coupe donor car that could supply the patches for your quarter panels at the windows.

Don at OMS may have some workable coupe trunk corner fillers for you. Alternately, you may be able to bang them out of donor panels as I did (note that the coupe corners are much longer than the fastback): http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-cudak888-1971-m-code-soylent-green-huge-rear-end-damage-repair-project?pid=184286#pid184286

How are the trunk, floorpans, and - dare I ask - rear framerails?

-Kurt
The rear panel underneath the rear window was cut out by the previous owner, the piece is in the trunk. I believe he cut it out to fix the rust where the window is at.

Do you know that forum member that might have those quarter panels that I could patch it up with?

Anyone have a coupe parts car?

Welcome from West Virginia. My Dad's best friend in the Air Force had a brand new 71 Spring Special while they were in together. His was Dark Ivy with argent stripes I have to find a pic of it soon.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Unless you are preparred to tackle the rust issues now, I'd suggest using something to stop the rust that is there now. Some of our members with rust fighting experience can suggest products - "Rust Bullet" is one that comes to mind. Then you can pick your battles and attack them one at a time.

Agree to check with Don at OMS for panels. He also has some parts cars if the stuff you need is not repopped.

Good luck!

Ray

Ray

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. It is a project but, you have gotten some good advice already. Get acquainted with the people who work for the Hobby Shop. They will know all the local sources for parts and skills. Good luck and thank you for serving our country. Chuck

Back