Block plugs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
I have a few unknows now. In my box of removed parts I got back from the machine shop are 3 threaded block plugs. I see three open holes but what are they for? One is behind the timing change and is oil galley becase it goes into lifter channel. another next to the fuel pump mounting and a third again behind chain next to cam. What to do ENGINE GUYS?

DOC, take PIC'S everywhere on to engine before taking to machine shop because they open up everything before going into the tank.

Chech the pic's

012.JPG

015.JPG

013.JPG

There are 2 oil galley plugs on the back of the block, 2 oil galley plugs behind the timing chain and 1 plug on the side of the block near the oil filter. You should have 2 smaller plugs in the sides of the block which are cooling system drains.

There are 2 oil galley plugs on the back of the block, 2 oil galley plugs behind the timing chain and 1 plug on the side of the block near the oil filter. You should have 2 smaller plugs in the sides of the block which are cooling system drains.
Should they be open or plugged with the loose ones he left in the box? I wonder if he put in new ones?

Should they be open or plugged with the loose ones he left in the box? I wonder if he put in new ones?
Plugged, If I remember correctly they are "not" regular tapered pipe thread the new ones come in the freeze plug kit if they ordered one.

Use oil resistant sealer on the threads.

Look inside the thermostat hole and make sure the brass restrictor is in there, sometimes they fall out in the hot tanks. also you may want to change that water nipple on the timing cover, it looks rusty. Its a pain to change but a lot harder with the engine in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back