Original Stereo in 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Fastback
Hey, I have a 1973 Fastback in need of an original stereo head. The original one was removed by my brother and I'm looking to restore it with a replica of some sort. I just need to know which radio was specifically in this model mustang so I can try and keep it looking original.

Thanks y'all.

There actually were different iterations, dependent upon what was ordered originally. If you want to go to something "original" to that particular car, i would suggest you order the Marti Report (Goggle it if you have not heard of it before) which should show you what was in the car originally.

Armed with that, you can go about purchasing what you need. Most of the mustang part houses have systems in stock that will mirror what came in the cars originally.

Hope this helps.

BT

The 73's came with three radio options to the best of my knowledge. You could get an AM, AM-8 Track, or an AM-FM Stereo.

On the 73 Convertible the stereo speakers are in each door under the window handles and NO speaker in the center of the top of the dash (there are small pin holes in the dash were a speaker would go underneath, but not installed in the Stereo cars). The AM would only have the one speaker in the top center of the dash. I think the AM-8 Track only had the one speaker, but not 100% sure. I'm not sure about the number of speakers in Fastback.

Here is a picture of the factory AM-FM Stereo in my 73 Convert (I'll look and see if I can find a better close-up picture).

Of course these radios show up on eBay.

DSCF9260.jpg

Here is another picture, You can see the hole in the left door for the speaker. This was just after the repaint before I reinstalled the speaker and door panel.

DSCF8182.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, do you know of any way I could find out which radio was originally in mine? AM - AM/FM - AM 8Track? I'm still searching around the house for it, but if all else fails a replica would be nice. Thanks for the insight and the pictures. Nice car you have!

No matter what the car came with originally, I would be looking for an original AM/FM stereo. My '73 had an AM in it when I got it. The tunes were pretty pathetic until I found a factory style AM/FM to install. You certainly aren't going to hurt the value of the car by doing that.

No matter what the car came with originally, I would be looking for an original AM/FM stereo. My '73 had an AM in it when I got it. The tunes were pretty pathetic until I found a factory style AM/FM to install. You certainly aren't going to hurt the value of the car by doing that.
For $40 you can get a Marti Report that will tell you what options were on it originally. That'll address the originality issue.

Marti Auto

Radios are plentiful on ebay and other sources...although some "restored" ones can be around the $300 mark...esp. 8 Track.

There was a factory option for speakers in the doors (relatively easy retrofit if you like). It was separate from the radio option, unlike today's setups.

If you go the aftermarket route, check out the unit from Retrosound USA. It sounds MUCH better than the Classic Autosound models. I have installed dozens of Retrosound radios with no problems. If you decide to go the original route, there are companies out there that can install new internals with AUX inputs while keeping the factory looks and controls.

Actually the options were AM, AM/FM Stereo, or AM/FM Stereo-Sonic Tape System (8-track).

Also remember that a popular way of doing things at this time was getting "dealer installed" options. For example, my '73 Grande', according to my Marti Report, was ordered with an AM radio. However, it has an "original" AM/FM 8-track. The owner history is pretty good, but can't confirm, although likely, that the original owner had the dealer install the upgraded radio. But it did NOT include the door speakers.

Separately, I'm going to install the door speakers - Already have the grills. Question...Does anyone know the original speaker size for the door speakers?

I'm adding my first pictures also...She's an 87,000 mi. ALL original, except, paint (1 yr old), tires/wheels (brand new), exhaust, brakes and new electronic ignition.

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

73mustang207.jpeg

338h.jpg

1969-1973

Push button AM mono radio, distinguished by Black plastic push buttons. 5" X 7" dash speaker. Word "PHILCO" on dial.

Push button AM/FM stereo radio, distinguished by stereo indicator light and the word "STEREO" on the chrome slide bar. LH and RH 4" X 8" door speakers behind plastic lower door grilles included. Word "Stereo" appears on both door speaker grills in 1969 & 1970.

AM 8-track with LH and RH 4" X 8" door speakers behind plastic lower door grilles. The word "MUSTANG" is found on the 8-track door of the 1970 Mustang only.

The 73's came with AM, AM/FM,AM 8track.The AM/FM and AM 8 track came with front door speackers.Beware of the Ebayers that claim they came with AM / FM 8 tracks,not so.Ford did build these radios and installed them in the later big Fords and maybe the Mustangll's.

[/b]Anyone know how critical radio originality is when being judged at a car show?

If your car came with an AM radio do they frown upon same year upgrade to AM/FM of a period specific aftermarket radio?

Just wonderin if I should look for an original AM radio or amybe get one of those new AM/FM 8track units on Ebay that he guy says are from the 70's.

I just looked through my pictures of stuff that I have sold in the past to pay for my 'stang habit. Here's my original, to the best of my knowledge, AM/FM from my 73 mach. I think that the date code is 4/18/73 which would be just before her assembly date in May of 73.

Stereo - 01.jpg

Stereo - 02.jpg

I just looked in the basement and I've got 3 AMs and one AM/FM left. Here's the AM/FM. No good date code that I could find. Look closely at the dials. The one from my 73 didn't have the word Philco on it, this one does.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll hook it up to test for function.

Stereo - 03.jpg

Stereo - 04.jpg

looking at upgrading the original dash speaker on my 1973 to a stereo dash speaker I found @ NPD.. I'm a newbie to working on it, and wanted tips on replacing the speaker. Any suggestions or publication references would be great.

My AM radio was original to the car. You can get some great replica radios. I ordered mine from The Mustang Shop in Calgary. It was from Custom Autosound. It looks like the original untill yor turn it on, then it is digital. Melody

looking at upgrading the original dash speaker on my 1973 to a stereo dash speaker I found @ NPD.. I'm a newbie to working on it, and wanted tips on replacing the speaker. Any suggestions or publication references would be great.
I see joined in November but this is your first post so welcome to the site!

Probably the easiest way to get to the dash speaker to replace it is to remove the dash pad assembly. It's easier than you would think. Go to the link below and follow steps 1 through 4. Then you should easily get to the speaker to replace it. Probably any new speaker will sound better than your old original. Good luck.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-replace-your-71-73-dash-pad?highlight=dash+pad

For $40 you can get a Marti Report that will tell you what options were on it originally. That'll address the originality issue.

Marti Auto

Radios are plentiful on ebay and other sources...although some "restored" ones can be around the $300 mark...esp. 8 Track.

There was a factory option for speakers in the doors (relatively easy retrofit if you like). It was separate from the radio option, unlike today's setups.
Please give me the link to these "plentiful" am 8tracks. I've had my car for 2 years....think i've caught 2 for sale

Back