Power Steering Quick Ratio - Hemmings article

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does anyone know if any of the following will fit our car as a direct swap and if they have a better ratio?

• 1972-'79 Fairlane, Torino, Elite, Gran Torino and Ranchero

• 1975-'79 Cougar

• 1977-'79 LTD II and Thunderbird

Also would it be possible to swap internals from say a late 80 Firebird with ours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info about the better ratio PS boxes on our cars.

They were built and supplied by GM :dodgy: but were a nice improvement over the standard steering boxes.

Ray
Thanks Ray... I actually installed the Q/R 2.7 turns L2L constant ratio earlier this year (February)... like the Corvette and Trans Am WS6 ps box... it's responsive on the twisties...

but you can't dose off on the straights or else you might find yourself in the next lane over... i'm still tuning air pressure, camber, etc. and learning to drive it... i have 255/295 front/rear, cut coils, lowered 4.5 leaf rears with bilsteins...

she's fun for canyon carving, flew over the Sierras from Sacto-Reno & back, often leading the pack at 75-90 mph, back and forth with a modded blacked out late model Vette... but had a couple scary moments, darting lanes, following ruts in the road... lowered the air pressure helped, but not sure how long the tires will last now... but then, again, it's not like it's my daily driver

Last edited by a moderator:
Back