• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 429 J code Pewter w/ black for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbomom

Reaction score
My Car
1992 5.0 vert
1970 Mach 1
1971 429 CJ Mach 1
image.jpgSelling our '71 429 CJR Mach 1 Mustang, I also have a Marti Report available. This is an unrestored survivor car that's been hid away in Texas. We have kept this car in a AC/Heated room and evacuated it from hurricanes twice in an enclosed trailer. This is a clean car, asking $35,000 OBO. You can contact me for pictures or question at: [email protected]. Serious inquires only please

Last edited by a moderator:
"429 CJR" infers a "J" code motor, which should have hood pins. Something is amiss here.

Thanks everyone, the car is very hard to let go. Only reason for selling it is our daughter is off to college. Other than that we would certainly keep it for sure. Plan on getting another one down the road. I will be sure to tell the person who buys this car to join the forum for sure..

As far as the hood pins, that is how we got the car. I am looking into absolute everything I can to find out it why it does not have them. but if that is all that is missing, I will put them on. It is still a nice car even if they are missing.

If your Marti Report says "Ram Air," then it should've had hood locks from the factory. If "Ram Air" is missing [from the report] then mostly likely, the Ram Air was added to a non-Ram Air NASA hood. I believe that is the case, since the air cleaner is also not painted to the Ford Corporate Blue, like every other factory Ram Air car I've ever seen.

Regardless of that teeny little detail, this is a beautiful car and I believe you should have no trouble getting what you're asking (it's also too bad you have to sell it). Nobody should be wrapped around the axle or deduct any points for someone adding factory correct Ram Air components - especially, when it looks so nicely done.

Simply adding a set of hood locks to the car to check off a box or somehow make it worth a couple hundred bucks more is not worth the time, hassle, or risk [in messing up a perfectly good paint job].

If your Marti Report says "Ram Air," then it should've had hood locks from the factory. If "Ram Air" is missing [from the report] then mostly likely, the Ram Air was added to a non-Ram Air NASA hood. I believe that is the case, since the air cleaner is also not painted to the Ford Corporate Blue, like every other factory Ram Air car I've ever seen.

Regardless of that teeny little detail, this is a beautiful car and I believe you should have no trouble getting what you're asking (it's also too bad you have to sell it). Nobody should be wrapped around the axle or deduct any points for someone adding factory correct Ram Air components - especially, when it looks so nicely done.

Simply adding a set of hood locks to the car to check off a box or somehow make it worth a couple hundred bucks more is not worth the time, hassle, or risk [in messing up a perfectly good paint job].
That air cleaner sure looks to be correct for the car and is indeed the right color - just a little discolored (no big deal to me could be just require a light cleaning). I'd want to clarify if the car needs something changed or replaced to make it complete. If the buyer is happy as-it-is then they got what they wanted. Not a bad price either way from what I can see. I'd be proud to own it! ---gotta love the 71 429 cars!

Ray

Very nice.

That said, from what I can see, the front clip may have been painted at one time (though silver metalflake paint is notorious for appearing uneven between panels; nothing to be that concerned about). The hood has definitely been painted before, as the blackout is a bit wider than stock.

It could be a survivor that had a front end collision early in its life, resulting in the swap. I also notice that it has a 351C fan shroud that's been modified to clear the A/C compressor, which could have been a replacement of necessity in lieu of the original 429 shroud - which would not necessarily be out of the question if there was an accident that bent the original radiator support. Are the hood lock brackets still on the support?

Any chance we can persuade you to put the Marti up in our database? It's always welcome to have another report in our database for research and reference (how I wish for some '72 R-codes in there!).

^

Beat me to the punch!

-Kurt

That air cleaner sure looks to be correct for the car and is indeed the right color - just a little discolored (no big deal to me could be just require a light cleaning). I'd want to clarify if the car needs something changed or replaced to make it complete. If the buyer is happy as-it-is then they got what they wanted. Not a bad price either way from what I can see. I'd be proud to own it! ---gotta love the 71 429 cars!

Ray
It's definitely the correct Ram Air air cleaner, but I've never seen a black one installed on a car - always painted Corporate Blue. But then again, I've only ever seen those cars as pictures on the 'net. ;)

I'd thought about just leaving mine black... but I'll still probably paint it "Old Ford Blue" to match 'the wrong color' of my engine. rofl

Her Marti Report says Ram Air - so I'm stumped as to why there are no hood locks (unless, as Kurt suggested, maybe it's a "new" hood). She says unrestored, and as the owner of the car, I have no reason to doubt otherwise. Stranger things have come from the factory, after all ;)

Ray
It's definitely the correct Ram Air air cleaner, but I've never seen a black one installed on a car - always painted Corporate Blue. But then again, I've only ever seen those cars as pictures on the 'net. ;)

I'd thought about just leaving mine black... but I'll still probably paint it "Old Ford Blue" to match 'the wrong color' of my engine. rofl

Her Marti Report says Ram Air - so I'm stumped as to why there are no hood locks (unless, as Kurt suggested, maybe it's a "new" hood). She says unrestored, and as the owner of the car, I have no reason to doubt otherwise. Stranger things have come from the factory, after all ;)
Zoom in it is Corporate Blue just dirty.

Trust me, the hood has been sprayed once - the blackout is a bit wider than factory.

That's the interesting thing about dealer sheet metal swaps and older damage repairs - since the paint back then was often the same stuff used on the cars, it's really easy to mistake the look and period patina of a well-done panel respray for a factory paint job, especially when it's just a minor repair and the rest of the car is original.

I mistook my '71 for an original-paint car the first few times I looked at it, and it has been mistaken for such by more than one. Looks it too, right until you pop the hood and see the painted fender bolts.

It also looks as if someone really took their time to make the hood fit as nice as possible, despite that Ford made sure that the factory gaps work against us on these cars. Looks more like the job of a bodyshop who takes pride in their work than that of Ford's assembly lines. The whole fit of the front end is superb for a stock build.

-Kurt

P.S.: It's a joy to see all the pedals on a Mach 1 Sports/Deluxe interior car wearing their brightwork surrounds; usually they're missing off one pedal or another. Snazzy!

That is an original "J" code car apparently, and definitely should have the hood pins. As mentioned, the tutone paint on the hood has clearly been redone since leaving the factory, and that coupled with the missing hood pins indicates a replacement hood at some point.

Installing the hood pins would be an important step for me on this car, considering how correct and orginal the rest of it is. It is simple and relatively inexpensive, and is an obvious oddity to any collector or enthusiast.

I would definitely spend the couple-hundred bucks to get it right...before the parts possibly become unavailable.

Installing the hood pins onto that hood - not so much. Simply cutting some holes for the hood locks just to have hood locks is the easy way out, and runs the risk of ruining a perfectly good hood on an awesome car.

IMHO - it's totally unnecessary, unless this car's going to be torn apart for a full-on concours restoration, then to do it right, find an NOS Ram Air hood with the hood lock locations already stamped - then make sure the TuTone is done just a tiny bit better and the car would be almost perfect.

Eric,

I don't quite understand why you think installing the hood pins is such a big deal. It is very simple, and if done correctly poses little risk of damaging anything.

The "pilot holes" are already on the underside of every NASA hood already.

Simply drill the center drill hole with a 3" hole-saw attached from the underside. Then tape the area, reinsert the pilot bit from the top and drill the holes. A little bit of hand-filing to open up the holes a tiny bit, and just install the pieces.

Of course they are not really necessary from a functional standpoint, but to me they are very visually important to the authentic look of an OEM ram air car. They really "step up" the performance look to me. I also feel the same way about badr sportroofs ( or cheapky repainted Mach 1s) without the tutone lower body paint...it looks unfinished to me.

Even as a youngster, when these cars were new, I always thought a non-functional, non tutone NASA hood looked incomplete.

I have installed many sets of pins on these hoods over the years and never had an issue. It is quite simple.

Back