1st day out after restoration - FMX trans noises

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spechti

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 (under restoration), 1973 Lincoln Mark IV (show boat)
Hi there,

Today, I had my 71 Mach 1 out on the streets after a 4 year restoration. Got me a temporary registration.

The road test was a disappointment. The front end alignment is far from perfect the Mallory ignition module toasted while starting up. I installed my spare distributor.

Mostly annoying was the ugly noise from the freshly redone FMX under acceleration. Some kind of grunt on harder acceleration. It is only present in 1st on launch. 2 and 3 are quiet. Shifting is normal, up and down.

I have readjusted the low/reverse band to make sure it is set correctly. It didn't make it better. Noise is still there.

Fluid is Type F, 11 quarts in the trans.

Does anyone have an idea what that could be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reading stuff.

I just checked the fluid level and found it a 3/16 below "add". Poured in a can of Type F. Will try again tomorrow.

If it still makes the noise, I will drop the pan and check front band adjustment, but afaik the front band is not activated in 1st gear, isn't it?

No advice on the transmission but thoughts of encouragement. It is not unusual for a few issues after a years long effort. What kind of 'grunt' is the transmission making?

Difficult to describe. The sound is a non-metallic creak, like it sounds when you go up an old wooden stairway. Or you rub a balloon with your thumb. Only occurs under load and only in 1st gear and in milder form in reverse.

Today, I drove the car 20 miles. After driving some miles, the car felt like "freeing up" like all new overhauled machines when you put them back in operation. The sound was less present after the drive. Maybe the sound is also some kind of friction that has to come into order while in operation. I will have an ear on it.

Here is the finished car after four years of restoration directly after the test drive.

DSC02658.JPG

DSC02659.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

Wow that was some really good info (link) Chuck. I learned a lot about transmissions. :)

But Spechti, I would use the methods described in the information and begin your diagnosis using the guage to begin eliminating areas and identifying true problems. Otherwise I think you will be chasing noises for a very long time.

Your Mustang is a beautiful car - I even like that Lincoln Mark IV I spoted in the garage. I had a super nice 71 Thunderbird (same color) I drove ocassionally to High School.

Good luck with your FMX.

Ray

spechti,

please contact me concerning the fmx. i might have someone here in vienna who could help you.

abudi

Goodness that is sweet looking.

What transmission fluid type did you use? Were you able to locate Type F?

You might double check the transmission mounts are tight too. It would be easy to overlook in a 4 year project.

This excerpt from the ATRA article seems to fit your symptoms, I think. Chuck

Converter Noise

Swishing, whine, or moan: Gauge is steady. Has noise in forward and reverse; worse with slightly more throttle; goes away completely in park and neutral.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The trans is filled with type F and I rebuilt it myself with all new parts. It shifts clean and smooth like it should.

I have read the article and indeed the symptoms match the converter problem described. No noise in Park or Drive at idle. Also no noise in second or on acceleration at speed. Sound occurs when I put load on the trans in Drive, either with foot on the brake or on forced acceleration from standstill.

Very much disturbing is the fact that it was a new/rebuilt converter I used. I got it from Torco Enterprises in California. When this part is defect, I have to remove the trans again to change the converter once more.:mad:

I got it from Torco Enterprises in California. When this part is defect, I have to remove the trans again to change the converter once more.:mad:
I'd drop them an email and describe what you're experiencing to them. They should know (You'd hope at least) if the noises you're hearing are normal, or the signs of a bigger problem. I'd be hesitant to just "drive it and hope it goes away" for fear of it going south quickly and causing other damages.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is to be so close and have something go wrong, but it's a beautiful car, and a little caution now could save you a lot in the future!

Great car. I have no idea how you guys possess the patience to take 4 years to restore a car. I could not wait 4 months.

Back