HOW TO MOUNT A FRONT SPOILER-VIDEO

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Heres how to mount a front spoiler Enjoy !:D This is an oem 71-73 frt spoiler..& Those "pre-drilled" holes that the guy used in the grande link...Drain holes so water dosn't sit in the valance not spoiler mounting holes

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Done Scott!

AS always thanks...it just makes it that much easier seeing it. BTW you also explained why I was having fitment issues with my after market valance.....I think after seeing that I'll just get my original fixed up.

Ken

Nice job Scott I have 2 front valances both have small holes in them from spoilers let me know and i'll snap some pics. Mike
Mike are they oem valances? I'm looking to buy an oem valance..if so would you want to sell 1 ?

Nice job Scott I have 2 front valances both have small holes in them from spoilers let me know and i'll snap some pics. Mike
Mike are they oem valances? I'm looking to buy an oem valance..if so would you want to sell 1 ?
Scott I believe they are oem one is on my 72 mach parts car and the other one is off a 72 grande that I striped for parts. I'll take a good look at them this week end or sooner I store most of my parts at my brothers house just down the street. I'll take some pic of the fit on the mach fender to valance. Mike

Thanx for the video. Nice tutorial. I gotta check how mine lines up with those lips on the valance first thing when I get home tonight. :)

I have the feeling that it doesn't......

Good instructional video. I installed mine similarly, using the "calibrated eyeball". I've seen these installed many "different" ways. My favorite was the guy that had the back / bottom edge mounted parallel to the ground kinda wrapping around the bottom edge of the valance.

Yup, I was right. Mine isn't mounted correctly! I'll see if it still covers the existing mounting holes if I mount it further back. Wish me luck! :(

Mike, While it may not be "correct" your spoiler still looks good. The way I look at it, it's the way Ford shoulda done it. :D
Thanks Jeff!

I think it looks a little too horizontal on the sides. It's hardly lower than the valance itself. Yesterday I c-clamped it into the position it is supposed to be. It's not that big a difference but still... The slightly steeper angle makes a difference.

But unfortunately the old mounting holes will be visible and I don't feel like taking it to the bodyshop to have them welded shut and the valance repainted. It just has to make do, I guess.

Who knows, maybe I need to take it to the bodyshop sooner than I want, given that I use it as a daily driver most of the time.....:s

i actually spoke to a few people about how to mount it.

story: my car when i received it, the valance was completely wrong it was mounted flat and was crooked

somebody had used all the drain holes thinking they were mounts.

the plastic was damaged so i bought another re-production to replace the reproduction that was on mine.

when talking to my mustang club where we have ford techs from the 70s that used to dealer install these.

they told me to use the center drain hole to start the alignment and that was what ford had recommended i guess for speed of assembly for the dealers.

now they told me when i use that center drain hole make sure i push the spoiler back so the front was just touching the center lip on the lower valance, they told me not to worry as i tightened it down starting from the center it would not buckle over the lip.

so mine is sitting just a hair on top of the center lip at the back of the spoiler center.

they then told me to lift the sides up and place marks if i remember 3.5"(might be wrong would have to look at my notes) up from the body line on the valance and mark both sides evenly. then i was told to loosely attach the sides so that the rake / was maintained up the side of valance, hold the valance starting from the center and work out evenly drilling holes and putting a screw in.

worked really well and i thought looked great compared to what i had before.

that was how it was done on 2 dealerships in NY in the 70s. i've since learned there are countless methods for doing it, but they all get you in the same ballpark for installation.

Since all front spoilers were dealer installed on most mustangs(except for the boss 351) there was a great deal of variety in regards to how the front spoiler was suppose to look.

i looked for a clear picture of my car when i did the install in 2008 but can't find it

i actually spoke to a few people about how to mount it.

story: my car when i received it, the valance was completely wrong it was mounted flat and was crooked

somebody had used all the drain holes thinking they were mounts.

the plastic was damaged so i bought another re-production to replace the reproduction that was on mine.

when talking to my mustang club where we have ford techs from the 70s that used to dealer install these.

they told me to use the center drain hole to start the alignment and that was what ford had recommended i guess for speed of assembly for the dealers.

now they told me when i use that center drain hole make sure i push the spoiler back so the front was just touching the center lip on the lower valance, they told me not to worry as i tightened it down starting from the center it would not buckle over the lip.

so mine is sitting just a hair on top of the center lip at the back of the spoiler center.

they then told me to lift the sides up and place marks if i remember 3.5"(might be wrong would have to look at my notes) up from the body line on the valance and mark both sides evenly. then i was told to loosely attach the sides so that the rake / was maintained up the side of valance, hold the valance starting from the center and work out evenly drilling holes and putting a screw in.

worked really well and i thought looked great compared to what i had before.

that was how it was done on 2 dealerships in NY in the 70s. i've since learned there are countless methods for doing it, but they all get you in the same ballpark for installation.

Since all front spoilers were dealer installed on most mustangs(except for the boss 351) there was a great deal of variety in regards to how the front spoiler was suppose to look.

i looked for a clear picture of my car when i did the install in 2008 but can't find it
Good info 72H...I have the factory body assy manuals..Which is what I used as reference...It shows the spoiler going right where I put the back edge..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back