Patching your trunk corners (Sportsroof/Mach 1)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
This is a partial repost from the progress thread from Soylent Green (my '71 M-code). Since it's buried in the 26-page progress thread, I figured I ought to split this off here for future/easy reference:

First off, to remind everyone as to what the trunk corners looked like on my car when I first got it:

71_mustang_75.jpg

This is what I'm starting with. Since there is a possibility that you may start out with corners that have been repaired in the past, let's go through the inspection process as well.

I've already ground off the paint a bit to find out where we have hidden filler. You can see some pink marks in the trunk stop divots (1972+ deleted the divots, possibly earlier), which is filler stuck in the divots that needs to be cleaned up:

2upuxhz.jpg

23urfur.jpg

The real problem can be seen from the reverse - these ends were previously patched ages ago by a bodyshop that brazed said patches directly over the rot. All of my cuts have to work past this rot, but - preferably - leave the divots intact.

a1jzi1.jpg

I used the Milwaukee angle grinder with the rotary brush to clean the ends up, but I cleaned up the divots as shown:

(Hmm - shirt is inside-out. Does that mean I'm getting another Mustang? ;) )

vdzv3l.jpg

The RH looks pretty much the same as before, but the left...oh, boy!

23igflt.jpg

2iuqr94.jpg

I shot them in primer to see the damage/repairs better:

2144cph.jpg

1ylhcj.jpg

Now for my not-so-secret, secret trick: Replacement corners...without having proper replacement corners. Coupe guys have it easy because they can chop up a taillight panel for the longer channels used on that bodystyle, and the rot usually accumulates there instead of on the curve as on Sportsroofs.

Using two ends cut from parts cars (BIG thanks to Eric for the LH section!), I chopped out the lower channels. Problem is, the channels are too short on both, and I don't want to chop up a taillight panel to lengthen them:

1548wue.jpg

juziix.jpg

Enter alternate solution - cut the curved bit that faces upwards:

313hsp2.jpg

And about 1.5 hours later of banging, cutting, bending, and cussing:

fu145g.jpg

The round end of a ball-peen hammer worked to form a rough divot, which I wound up flattening due to not needing it at all:

et9roy.jpg

Repeat for RH side, using the LH panel from Eric's donor:

23m5wgg.jpg

1.5 hours later:

2im81w3.jpg

Another hour later and the channel has been re-shaped (read = beaten and ground) into the proper straight line:

kdk5xe.jpg

Two workable ends. Granted, RH side is a bit nicer, but I'll take whatever I can get:

358cbig.jpg

RH corner cut and donor panel cut to fit:

103ybmx.jpg

fedzt4.jpg

140zqmd.jpg

LH was in such bad shape that I had no choice but to cut it short. Enough of the dimple survived to look passable:

wtbn2a.jpg

2808dj5.jpg

These are the original ends, cut out of the car. Get a load of the cut-and-shut rot patchwork. Good old bodyshop work - always dependable, always disastrous.

2na64qo.jpg

Test fitting. A sheet steel section will be placed in the remaining gap on the LH side:

314rq6a.jpg

1i0685.jpg

Welding time.

2j2xb2e.jpg

Welding these ends was a nightmare - wherever I thought I'd cleaned up the brass, I'd find just a bit more, and it'd blow through. Somehow, I got away with this on the RH side:

30nhn34.jpg

LH in progress. Note the copper sheet that I use to ground the MIG welder's electrode (wire) around the larger gaps.

jaapnc.jpg

Corners are freestanding now. They may appear to be at the wrong heights in this picture, which is not the case. They're a bit flexable, and the taillight panel merges with them perfectly and level when pinned in position:

2luswtv.jpg

RH:

2hobtc9.jpg

LH:

307t7d5.jpg

7:30pm and closed up for the day:

9s8h8g.jpg

Open to any questions!

-Kurt

Very nice write up! Thankfully my lower corners weren't in too bad of shape, it was the upper corners that were toast. Now a question for you, my car was backed into a post at some point in it's life that pushed the tail light panel in on the passenger side top. I then had the panel replaced since the tail light buckets were all rotted out, but they didn't pull the panel straight before they did the repair. Am I going to need a while new tail light panel to get it fixed, or can I salvage?

Back