Installed Open element air cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
While i am restoring my rusty pealing air cleaner, I installed a Ford racing open elemnet air cleaner.

Now the car is backfiring in the air cleaner when I get on it.

When I replaced it I ran the PCV hose from the valve cover to under the air cleaner.

Was I supposed plug up and other hoses or vacuum lines?

Anyone have any idea whay the car is backfiring?

Thanks

Based on what you are saying, I would say it sounds like the open element filter has thrown your air/fuel ratio off. Was the element you took off extremely dirty?

It may be a simple matter of adjusting the carburetor to make up for the additional air that is entering the engine. To eliminate a vacuum problem, you could put the old air cleaner element back on (if you still have it) and see if you still have the problem. If you do, then you start looking for possible vacuum leaks.

Hope this helps.

BT

Id say Cobra is on to your problem--you have created a lean condition now that the motor can breath better.

Id say Cobra is on to your problem--you have created a lean condition now that the motor can breath better.
OK, I have a 351 with 2V. Can any one direct me how to make these adjustments?

I have the Ford manuals but I wasn't sure if these ajustments are called out in them.

Opps sorry for the wait--If it was running good before the change I'd not mess with the carb--I'd retard the timing a scosh.

just one thing to check,, the original ford air cleaner base has vacuum motors that aid in cold starting, when you removed the original air cleaner base to install the new open element one, did you remember to cap off the unused vacuum port?

just one thing to check,, the original ford air cleaner base has vacuum motors that aid in cold starting, when you removed the original air cleaner base to install the new open element one, did you remember to cap off the unused vacuum port?
That could be my problem!

I didn't cap anything off.

I must have a vacuum leak!

Where do I have to cap off?

well check your intake manifold front and rear and see if you have a vacuum tree on it, then see if a port was left open on one.

if not check your carburetor base and carburetor for an open vacuum port, just be careful if you have a vacuum operated choke not to close off that port or the chokes electrical coil will over heat and burn out.

Back