Any custom spoiler/ducktail ideas you have thought of?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DattPaletero

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach I - H Code
Hey everyone, I want to fabricate a custom ducktail or spoiler onto my 73 mach, the oem style spoiler is a little overdone for me :s and i'm going for a resto-mod anyways.

Soooooo any ideas, pictures, thoughts, are ::welcome::

1970-Camaro-01.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was very popular in '70:ies with funny cars. Ducktales were big but gives an idea how they would look like.

Here are some '71-'73 funny Car Mustangs:

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/drag_racing/funny-cars/ford-funny-cars/71-73_mustang_funny_cars/

and more to come but mixed with another brands:

http://www.70sfunnycars.com/index.html

There would be awesome colour combos to be used in a racy '71-'73 Mustangs.

JOE_WINTER_1.jpg

Not your everyday colourtheme???

Y_7_Speed_1.jpg

Its been done, but overdone. You will be breaking ground.

I say go for it.
Yeah I agree, thanks for the input!

It was very popular in '70:ies with funny cars. Ducktales were big but gives an idea how they would look like.

Here are some '71-'73 funny Car Mustangs:

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/drag_racing/funny-cars/ford-funny-cars/71-73_mustang_funny_cars/

and more to come but mixed with another brands:

http://www.70sfunnycars.com/index.html

There would be awesome colour combos to be used in a racy '71-'73 Mustangs.

JOE_WINTER_1.jpg

Not your everyday colourtheme???

Y_7_Speed_1.jpg
Wow thanks! this gives me a better perspective, but that is a reallyyyy nice orange not gonna lie.

This might be quite radical, but try lengthening the quarters by 1", then working the spoiler into it. There's not much room to put an integrated spoiler smoothly in the design otherwise.

-Kurt

Take a look at some of the Mustangs RingBrothers have build.. They have build some very cool spoilers which is build in to the trunk lid. :)

Here are some photos :)

One more
Thanks! I really like those too, very subtle and smooth.

This might be quite radical, but try lengthening the quarters by 1", then working the spoiler into it. There's not much room to put an integrated spoiler smoothly in the design otherwise.

-Kurt
I agree and probably will be doing that thanks! our cars have like a hill slope that abruptly ends with a cliff and there's not much room back there.

I got no ideas but I WANT THAT CAMARO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same! a 73 camaro to match my 73 stang would be reallllll nice :wub:

Lengthened 1.5", rear end caps and trunk about 1/2" taller than usual.

Probably thew most impossible modification here are the quarter panel feature/beltines, which I had to adjust and rotate downwards. Doing so in actuality would be next to impossible - and not really worth the effort for such a subtle modification.

2148dxl.jpg

-Kurt

I had an 06 GT that I changed the spoiler out to a GT500 spoiler. I loved the low profile of it and when looking at it from the back, I loved the way the sides of it followed the lines of the quarter panels. I actually started grafting one, but the only materials I had on hand where cardboard and shitty home depot brand painters tape, so it didn't work out so well. When I have a little more money, I will probably buy some thicker card stock in roll form to design and build it, then fiberglass over it and do body work. We will see, just my idea though...

I had an 06 GT that I changed the spoiler out to a GT500 spoiler. I loved the low profile of it and when looking at it from the back, I loved the way the sides of it followed the lines of the quarter panels. I actually started grafting one, but the only materials I had on hand where cardboard and shitty home depot brand painters tape, so it didn't work out so well. When I have a little more money, I will probably buy some thicker card stock in roll form to design and build it, then fiberglass over it and do body work. We will see, just my idea though...
Thanks! yeah i've been meaning to make a cardboard mock up, but floor pans first, i don't mind the extra ventilation but chilly months are around the corner:-/

Forget cardboard, that pink or blue insulation foam board is fantastic for mocking things up. It can be stuck on with spray adhesive and shaped with a sander or sanding blocks.

Forget cardboard, that pink or blue insulation foam board is fantastic for mocking things up. It can be stuck on with spray adhesive and shaped with a sander or sanding blocks.
Good point, i'm gonna try this soon, thanks!

I'd try to keep it subtle and follow something like the 71 Maverick

Maverick.jpg

How about having the plane of the top surface of the trunk lid decrease so the edge of the trunk lid is just an inch or so above the bottom lip of the trunk lid, and have a "wing" shape across the back, even with the 1/4 extension pieces? Hard to explain...look at the trunk on a 70 Fury GT.

How about having the plane of the top surface of the trunk lid decrease so the edge of the trunk lid is just an inch or so above the bottom lip of the trunk lid, and have a "wing" shape across the back, even with the 1/4 extension pieces? Hard to explain...look at the trunk on a 70 Fury GT.
I'd rather start by adding the 1970 Fury GT to the driveway ;)

-Kurt

Back