Just about to smoke test!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
Just about ready to smoke test my newly-rebuilt 351C. Spent yesterday with a few friends, donuts, coffee and Subway sandwiches getting it installed, and today spent an hour or two fixing a minor coolant leak, that sort of thing.

I've actually never been grateful for a problem doing an install. We were tugging the motor around to get the flexplate started on the torque converter, and one of the (original, 41-year-old) motor mounts broke. What I couldn't believe is that I called the local Checker Auto (I live in a VERY small town between Colorado Springs and Denver) and they actually had some in stock, and they were only $10 each! And not even imported knock-offs, either.

Still, it was worth breaking the motor mount during the install instead of it happening on the road someplace.

So, keep your fingers crossed. We'll probably fire it up on Tuesday after I tie up some odds and ends.

I live up Baptist Road, not far from you. Actually, I could use your car as a knowledge base - if you have the standard 3-wire alternator, I can't remember how to hook mine up! It's really all that's preventing the start-up. Got a time you could sneak your ride over here for a quick look-see?

I drove around for 3 years with both motor mounts broken, all the time wondering why my air cleaner was hitting the hood when I revved it up. Found out they were broke when I was putting in a new freeze plug under the header, that had popped out while I was in basic training. I remember that day....drove it about 10 miles with no water in it...

Damn my car has been through hell...

I live up Baptist Road, not far from you. Actually, I could use your car as a knowledge base - if you have the standard 3-wire alternator, I can't remember how to hook mine up! It's really all that's preventing the start-up. Got a time you could sneak your ride over here for a quick look-see?
Wow, you're really close! Two problems with using my car: 1) it's got a 429, not sure if it's the same setup or not, and 2) I won't have it until mid-April! :dodgy:

I'll ask my dad to snap a picture of the alternator and I can pm you.

Thanks! Unless it's been changed around to a 1-wire setup, it's likely the same thing.

Yeah, we should get together.

The biggest question is the ground. I have a large-ish black ground block with a tab on it. The big black/orange wire I send to the BATT terminal, held down with a nut. The smaller orange wire with a push-on connector goes to the post next to BATT. There is a post marked GND right below those 2 posts, and one un-marked pin about 2" to the left of that post that's unmarked and I *THINK* is a ground as well. I believe that's where the black ground block should be attached. The stator terminal I use for my electric choke.

Yeah, we should get together.

The biggest question is the ground. I have a large-ish black ground block with a tab on it. The big black/orange wire I send to the BATT terminal, held down with a nut. The smaller orange wire with a push-on connector goes to the post next to BATT. There is a post marked GND right below those 2 posts, and one un-marked pin about 2" to the left of that post that's unmarked and I *THINK* is a ground as well. I believe that's where the black ground block should be attached. The stator terminal I use for my electric choke.
Will this help? this is out of my Haynes manual. I think your question is the alternator regulator, on mine it should be the one to the left marked.. mine is... STA.

mustang wires 001.JPG

Hey Dan, I talked to my dad and he's going to e-mail a picture of the alternator tonight. Keep an eye out for a pm sometime this evening.
Thanks!!! Did you get the email I sent you?

Nope, didn't get it. Try again, I directed e-mails to my gmail account. For some reason I'm not receiving anything at my hotmail account.
Just sent another one.

Alternator is fine. Still having problems. Got the motor fired up today, and it ran nicely, especially once I set the timing to 12 BTDC instead of the 30+ I had it eyeballed at. Now, thought I had a serious oil pressure problem, looks like it may have been a bad filter and/or a bad sending unit or gauge. Film at 11 on that one, I got fed up and left the re-timing and re-start for tomorrow (Wednesday).

Back