Bumped my head............

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duztytrue

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Grande
351C
My son started asking if we could do a projet car together a few months ago. He decided he liked Musangs and thus the search started. I have some family membrs that have older Mustangs so calls went out to them for guidance. I searched craigslist and other websites and was not able to find anything I felt okay with trying to take on. This is not my fist restoration (1972 VW superBeetle completed and sold, 1990 Jeep YJ, and a 1968 Ford F100 LOOOOOOONG bed). I got in contact with one of my cousins and he said that he would consider selling one of his cars to me. I looked at the car (parked at his parents house) and called him since he is in another state. After about a 20 minute discussion a deal was reached. The next weekend came and i did the four hour (round trip) to pick it up.

THe car is 1972 Mustang Grande with the 351C2v automatic I believe C4. The motor was not in the car not was the transmission but I do have them. THe car has sat for a while. It has a few small rust spots but is still solid. The rust it does have has not eaten through the metal so it can be dealt with, The driver fender is pretty beat up and will most likely need to be replaced. All the interior is there and in okay shape too.

The car has been in the my family since 1974 when it had 16000 miles on it. In the glove box there was a letter from the dealership in Texas to the original owner and also a letter from the bank thanking him for using them. It came with a lot of info about the car which I thought was amazing.

I took the motor apart and took it in to the machine shop. The block is all original but it has some scaring. looks like we will be going to 30 over.

Looking forward to see were this goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forum from Kentucky! Always happy to have a new member join up. Be sure to get some pictures up so we can see your new project and don't hesitate to ask any and all questions!

Check the cowl if it has been sitting for that long. That is one of the costly repairs i am dealing with right now

The good news about were it sits was it sat in New Mexio. It stayed mostly dry I will check the cowl though. Here are a ouple pics

2d76eo.jpg

21cuous.jpg

25f0sxu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcomne from CA!

I have a coupe also that I thought had minimal rust.

Not only check the cowl

check under vinyl top, under carpet, inside trunk, bottom of doors, and under front and rear glass trim!

Those areas is where I found some rusty spots.

You can use a credit card type magnet to identify filler...

Best of luck on the job and lucky son you have!

Paul

It looks like it was a well optioned car with gauges, tilt steering is kind of cool as well.

::welcome:: from San Diego, the car looks like it may have some good options, center clock which I am assuming tach and I see it has center console gauges. Nice start, coupes rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back