Hello from the Bluegrass State.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1971Grande

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande, originally bought new by my father in Louisville, KY at Bill Collins Ford. Original color Medium Green Metallic, 302 2V engine, 3 speed manual, medium or dark green vinyl top and interior, and few other options.
So I am from Kentucky and have a 1971 Mustang Grande that is in dire need of restoration. It will definitely need a lot of metal work, interior work, a new vinyl top (if I go with a restoration to original), and much more.

The body, suspension, and motor promise to use most of the restoration money with things like brakes, fuel system, interior, and such while not being cheap to restore still not as expensive as the major components.

This car does have a long history with the family. My father bought it new in 1971 and it served him until he passed the keys to me in 1980. The car was showing signs of age then but I did what I could to keep it in driving condition. Eventually the motor quit and I never could put the money together to do a restoration, so it went into storage. Storage has really not been kind to the car since I live in Kentucky near the Ohio River where the humidity and other environmental factors are unkind to old metal.

So the plan is to restore but maybe not totally back to original. The car has been in a couple accidents and, while the body is intact, it is not quite in proper alignment. It has a lot of rust and there are probably several parts that will have to be replaced. The motor is not good and a rebuild while possible is probably not the route I will go. My thinking now is short block, long block, or crate motor. I am leaning toward something like the 306 340 horse crate motor I have read and seen much about recently. This motor is a lot more powerful than stock and would require suspension, brake, and other upgrades to make the car safe to drive. In all fairness, a lot of those upgrades should be done anyway due to age of the car and components in the car now. Transmission, well I have a t5 in storage now. It is a Borg Warner from an 85 GT I believe and only had about 5000 miles on it when it was stripped from the wrecked car. I had it checked out and it suffered no damage in the wreck.

I can be long winded so I am going to stop here. At this time I am still doing research to find parts and also people with skills I will need on this project. Also need to put together a budget for the project as well. (A budget that will probably be blown past but hey gotta at least try.)

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. From New Richmond, OH. a long time ago. Chuck

Welcome from Indiana. It is neat that your car has been in the family so long.

Thanks for the welcomes. I do plan to do some pictures. Looking for some old photos as well to scan and post. The recent photos are going to be hideous but that's how the Ohio River Valley treats old metal.

Hey bluegrass welcome aboard from Ohio. I restored a 1971 convertible. Lots of work. Good luck with your project i hope to see it next labor day in Columbus for the Mustang club of America grand national show. FYI I am also just taking apart a 1973 grande that I got for parts. I will have a good set of doors no holes, perfect shock towers, very good fenders coplete cowl with no holes. This car had a carb fire which cooked the carb and the inside of the car but only the paint on outside. This car appears to be from the south or out west so very little rust through. If you need something specific let me know and i may be able to help you save some cash. I live in central Ohio, Email [email protected]. I will be using the disc brake parts and possibly the 351C and trans. I have a 351W and C4 in mine which is wrong engine. Well if i don't hear from you good luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back