Stalling at idle when in gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad_P

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang fastback
Hi folks i recently purchase my 72, it has a 351c 4v in it with a preformance cam and a select shift auto transmission. Everything ran fine until i got it detailed the other day. I got him to shine the engine bay up a bit and now my car wants to stall when in gear at idle. I can crank it up and give it a few slight revs while in park and it will idle properly at about 800 rpms but if i dont have my foot slightly on the pedal when i put it into reverse it will stall, same problem at stop signs in first gear. I can get still get the car into gear but i have to chirp the tires to put it in reverse and first. I Checked all the wires on the distributor and i am still having the problem, is it possible that he somehow knocked the timing off. I have very little mechanical knowledge so maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I had the same problem with my mustang for a long time. The problem is a classic vacuum leak. Check to see if the PCV is broken, that was the problem with mine.

If you dont know, the PCV is the black plastic valve connected to the tube linking your carb to the valvecover.

They are easy to break so i'd look there first.

Good chance of vacuum leak.

check all vacuum lines to see if anything is disconnected.

the detailer could of removed the air intake base to clean the top of the engine, in doing so he could of pulled

1) vacuum lines

2) PCV

3) brake booster

4) vacuum advance

5) transmission modulator line

he could of also accidentally poped a Vacuum line on the air intake base that runs the flapper doors for the snorkel or power intake valve if you have one.

check the rear of the engine where the vacuum tree is and search for a disconnected rubber hose or a missing cap on a unused vacuum connector.

what happens is when an engine is warmed up a small vacuum leak doesn't really effect it to the point of stalling, you may of notice the engine was running different on the way home. However when you came home from the detailer and the car cooled off for a few hours and you restarted the engine then the vacuum leak stalls the motor under load.

now it could be more complex like the detailer power washed the motor and he could of torn a gasket on the intake manifold or carb base causing a leak.

however most detailers, will Take the intake air cleaner base off, which pulls the vaccum line to the snorkel , they put a bag over the carb to keep water out of the engine then power wash the engine bay. when he reinstalled the base good chance he forgot to reconnect the vac line on the back of the engine.

Hi folks i recently purchase my 72, it has a 351c 4v in it with a preformance cam and a select shift auto transmission. Everything ran fine until i got it detailed the other day. I got him to shine the engine bay up a bit and now my car wants to stall when in gear at idle. I can crank it up and give it a few slight revs while in park and it will idle properly at about 800 rpms but if i dont have my foot slightly on the pedal when i put it into reverse it will stall, same problem at stop signs in first gear. I can get still get the car into gear but i have to chirp the tires to put it in reverse and first. I Checked all the wires on the distributor and i am still having the problem, is it possible that he somehow knocked the timing off. I have very little mechanical knowledge so maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Is it doing it even after it's "fully" warmed up?

So i just fixed my problem, it was a disconnected hose on the passenger side of the motor. The big nipple that sticks out the top under the brace arm. Fired it up and the problem was gone, thanks for the help.

Back