Period correct carpet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
Several questions about period correct carpet.

First. Is the car supposed to have 2 piece or one piece carpet.

Two, Should it be 80/20 loop or the fuzzier looking stuff that is not 80/20

three- Does carpet fit well over Dynamat that covers the whole floorboard.

1, Yes it should be 2 piece carpet, a front section and a rear section

2, it should be loop carpet, not the fuzzier type.

3, I don't know :D

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the quick response. The car currently has a one piece carpet and that is why I asked. Not sure how excited I am about replacing it with a 2 piece. We will see. It has a big tear on the drivers side so it will be changed one way or the other. thanks

The 2-piece is the correct style. The lap of the seams is under the seats and is almost undetectable unless you are looking for it.

Loop carpet may be "correct" but I hate that old-fashioned cheap-ass crap. I swear it must be an early attempt at "Velcro", as EVERYTHING sticks to it. It is difficult to vacuum thoroughly and it just looks cheap by today's standards.

However...it is "correct" for the model and because of that, it is what I have in mine.

If I wasn't concerned about originality in the carpet, I would put the deep-pile carpet that came in my '79 Lincoln Mk-V.

Now THAT was some carpet! Deep, luxurious and soft...as nice as any home carpet I have ever seen. It was a pleasure to take your shoes of and just feel the carpets in that car.

You can get that or any style you want in your car if originality is not a concern.

Yes to all the above and it fits fine over Dynamat or what ever else you want to use.

It came a little large and was form fitted to the floor pan.

Can't remember where I got it or what it cost, that was 6 years ago.

The toughest part was the color, not all "blues" are the same.

mike

As Iyman said:

1. Yes - 2-pieces... rear piece with the finished edge overlaps the front.

2. Yes - Loop carpet is "correct"

3. Yes - Dynamat is no problem

I just installed mine this past weekend. I installed the ACC cut-pile molded Mach 1 carpet with Jute backing over the top of RAAMat (which is essentially the same thing as Dynamat), and I'm here to say that I both love and hate it.

I love it because it's not the proper loop carpeting - I actually despise the loop stuff for the exact reasons Kit mentioned. The ACC carpet is also a quality product and reasonably priced. I would recommend it to anyone replacing carpet in their cars... with one exception.

I hate it because of my own doing - I moved the seat platforms back approximately 2" when I welded in new floor pans to get a bit more leg room... so now the carpet fits a little weird - it's about an inch short of the firewall pad, and the molded features of the front piece don't quite line up 100%. Let's just say I'm thankful for the floor mats I ordered. The rear piece went in a little easier, but I had to cut-down and collapse the molded features to get it to fit.

I still need to do some trimming to get the fit just right at the door sills and adjust a little bit at the dimmer switch, but otherwise, I'll give it a passing grade. Next time I need carpet, I'll get the non-molded stuff and hopefully have a bit better time with it.

Hope that answers your questions.

Back