1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonkoucky

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Spring Edition
I just purchased a 1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe. It has a numbers matching 351 Cleveland 2V. The car has 54,000 original miles and is in very nice but not showroom shape. It has had a recent paint job and does not have original wheels. I am wondering if anyone can help me estimate a value. I know these cars are rare, but I don't know if they are collectible. It has NASA hood and boss stripes. In addition it is green with black stripes which is the original color code. Most were red with black.

Can’t help with a value but welcome to a great place for all 71-73 fans. It sounds like a nice car, have fun with it and share some pictures when you have a chance.

I just purchased a 1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe. It has a numbers matching 351 Cleveland 2V. The car has 54,000 original miles and is in very nice but not showroom shape. It has had a recent paint job and does not have original wheels. I am wondering if anyone can help me estimate a value. I know these cars are rare, but I don't know if they are collectible. It has NASA hood and boss stripes. In addition it is green with black stripes which is the original color code. Most were red with black.
::welcome::being low mileage by the book i would not doubt @ 23 thousand. The 71 boss 429 up in the highs 50s then the shelbys of 68-70 goes in trailored shape up to @ 150 for the convertible w/428 side oiler motor.

Jon

First I dont like to offer information without seeing pictures!! I have no clue what I'm offering info on and so I could be tearing you down or building you up here.

The spring edition is possibly one of 500. I would encourage you to get a Marti Report for your car. As values go...the market leans toward Mach I's, Convertibles, SportsRoof and then Coupes ...kinda in that order. The coupe is usually a 5 to 9000 car pending condition of course. However ...you have a unusual coupe and could bring up to 10-15,000 but if you had it and lived next door, offered it at 23,000.00 I wouldnt even walk next door. Your market is thin and it just has to be that guy that likes the cool regardless. STILL has a cool factor to it!!

I would bet that throughout the time you're the owner 9.9 out to 10 people will say..."nice clone" thinking you or someone has spiced up that puppy to mimic a Mach I

GREAT FIND!!! :worthlesswithoutpics:

Last edited by a moderator:
no....you drive down to the shop right now....take some pictures...return to the computer load them up and let us see this awesome find.

BTW ... we have another new member here who also has the Spring Special ...he's the son of DonStang and I hope I've got my facts right....pretty sure his is a Spring Special. I've seen numbers all over about this Big Foot phenom called the Spring Special but never saw one in person.

Yeah Luke I found that site too but became nervous when I looked at their 60's concept cars and noted they looked like the cars had gerbil look to them .....

63prototype2.jpg

then it dawned on me...the only guys interested in gerbils were..... well.....GAY

if what i read @ 1 in 5 and proof is between vin code combination & to descrIpt between decal on the door and original order from the dealership-the more matching numbers etc....on components as tranee to engine w/original manifojd and your extensive clean up like it was new then winning some national car shows between MCA AND AACA to grand nationals will drive up the demand for it then if you are willing to part w/it from an auction house like MECUM or from....to pay out their fees of putting it up on a televised auction block to having it posted on every car magazine and major newspapers as the Times....Wall Street and further displays at major events in major city car shows as in NYC-Las Angeles-Chicago w/help from a good marketer...and a good economic head to where to publicise it at the right place at the right time-you might get someone from international venue w/big bucks i would not doubt tripling the value for the typ buc for it. Old Cars magazine cbm only rate yours as an over value and some % added for the combination of options. Dupont mmthly car magazine would be a good place to display it. As for if a ford corporate officer would endorse it wou ld help like if it was a 68 Shelby GT500KR w/dash autographed by Carrol Shelby. Though @ 76 corvette w/bicentennial edition that had the little known 1966 rear windoy wrap brought the value from the fully loaded @ 35k to 150k. This was only available to overseas military BX direct from the St Louis plant back then. Though that even more rare than the 76 El Dorado w/the 500 ci motor fetched 48k when on the auction block. As Hemmings main magazine articled the 71-3 mustangs saying that tail end of the 1st generation mustang better to enjoy rather than hoard for a value increase.just things to think about-ie a brain storming like this to a lot of research to take it to its optimal value to you.

if what i read @ 1 in 5 and proof is between vin code combination & to descrIpt between decal on the door and original order from the dealership-the more matching numbers etc....on components as tranee to engine w/original manifojd and your extensive clean up like it was new then winning some national car shows between MCA AND AACA to grand nationals will drive up the demand for it then if you are willing to part w/it from an auction house like MECUM or from....to pay out their fees of putting it up on a televised auction block to having it posted on every car magazine and major newspapers as the Times....Wall Street and further displays at major events in major city car shows as in NYC-Las Angeles-Chicago w/help from a good marketer...and a good economic head to where to publicise it at the right place at the right time-you might get someone from international venue w/big bucks i would not doubt tripling the value for the typ buc for it. Old Cars magazine cbm only rate yours as an over value and some % added for the combination of options. Dupont mmthly car magazine would be a good place to display it. As for if a ford corporate officer would endorse it wou ld help like if it was a 68 Shelby GT500KR w/dash autographed by Carrol Shelby. Though @ 76 corvette w/bicentennial edition that had the little known 1966 rear windoy wrap brought the value from the fully loaded @ 35k to 150k. This was only available to overseas military BX direct from the St Louis plant back then. Though that even more rare than the 76 El Dorado w/the 500 ci motor fetched 48k when on the auction block. As Hemmings main magazine articled the 71-3 mustangs saying that tail end of the 1st generation mustang better to enjoy rather than hoard for a value increase.just things to think about-ie a brain storming like this to a lot of research to take it to its optimal value to you. Best if it recognized by the ford designing fathers and certified by them as a prototype like the original design as on display at Watkins Speedway back before the mustang was released in official.

I have a customer who bought a New back in 1971 Spring special, I have seen many pictures, he traded the car in 3 yrs later for the new 1974 model (boy did he get screwed :D)

he said he still has all of the paperwork for the car, including the window sticker, as soon as he located it, he will give them to me, I still remind him every time I see him.

and as for value, its like the 1972 Mustang Sprints, it depends on condition and how much someone is willing to pay for it.

here are some ads I have found thought out the years for the Spring special.

1971_00028_01.jpg

1971_00028_02.jpg

1971_00028_03.jpg

Yeah Luke I found that site too but became nervous when I looked at their 60's concept cars and noted they looked like the cars had gerbil look to them .....

63prototype2.jpg

then it dawned on me...the only guys interested in gerbils were..... well.....GAY
Oh dear and you kids where playing so nicely before that comment;)

qq8w01.jpg

Oh dear and you kids where playing so nicely before that comment;)

qq8w01.jpg

I still don't understand how Lemmiwinks could have an open flame on his journey.

nice brochure photos. If you look at my photo album 1st page will see an actual 1 of 50 sprint convertibles in 72 that were built exclusively to key officials for the 72 Cherry Blossom Parade in Washington DC. Options aside the stripe on body and seats w/6 cylinder.....obtained from collection of Shelby collectible cards of the mustangs 64 1/2 - @ 94.

see an actual 1 of 50 sprint convertibles in 72" and if you look on this forum you'll see an actual real 72 convertible AND its owner as well as 2 Sprint Coupe and Sprint Fastback owner from my Tennessee friend. :D

Wow - good lookin' car! ::thumb::

Might want to get that Marti Report and confirm the things you've been told about the car. It's definitely been repainted, the side stripes are a little bit low, and the TuTone hood treatment is not to factory spec (glossy and the lines are slightly different) - but it still looks great!! And please don't take the things I pointed out as being critical - when you see more factory-correct examples, you'll know what I mean. I had my TuTone repainted with glossy (as opposed to flat or matte finish) and it's close, but not perfectly lined up - ain't no thing, either... mine's not meant to be a 100-point show car. :D

What are your plans for the car? Looks like it'll be a head-turner no matter where you go. :cool:

Dang! That looks a lot nicer than I was expecting! The paint combo looks nice, and to the untrained eye the small things that mister 4x4 would normally go unnoticed. I do have to say that although I enjoy the black on the hood, I kinda liked the way the red coupe in the ads above looked with just the stripes on the sides and solid hood. But to each their own right. Anyway the car looks really nice and definitely get a marti report as soon as you can. How is the engine bay and interior?

Back