Interested in getting into drag racing

TxBoss23

Thinking about getting into drag racing and not really sure how to get started. I'd love to build a 71 sport roof or mach 1 into a bracket car using a 351c built for around 500 horsepower or so. Figure this is enough to run low 12s, high 11s. Am I crazy to do this or what?

How does one even get started? I ran across some drag racing schools and am thinking about attending a 2 day course like this one.

http://royhillsdragracingschool.com/

Anyone been to one of these?

Any tips, info, etc to help me get started would be appreciated!

Joel

I think what you really need to do first is decide what class you want to run in. The NHRA has a number of different drag racing brackets, and there are specific restrictions and requirements for each of them. If you already have a plan for what you want to do to the car, then see if there's a class you fit in. Look at the type of events that you have locally, and decide what you want to get out of it. Do you want to compete in official events and competitions, or just have a car that you can take to the strip on occasion?

I know we have a few members who have some pretty crazy drag stangs, hopefully they'll chime in soon.

2013 Ford Focus SE Flex Fuel 5spd - Daily Driver

It's been 30+ years...

In early 90s I had 11c 73 Firebird BBC injected alcohol car that I parted out when our local track closed.

The saying "Racing is EXPENSIVE how fast do you want to go" comes to mind.

The faster your car does 1/4 Mi more requirements...

Lug studs, roll cage, battery cut out, scatter sheild or blanket, drive line loop, fire jacket or suit + gloves + shoes, helmet, belts etc.

You should get a NHRA requirement pocket book and see where you are at.

I'm just giving an insight into drag racing a fast car... I couldn't have done it without sponsors!

Wish You Luck!

Make no mistake It will be the most fun you will ever Have!

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

It's been 30+ years...

In early 90s I had 11c 73 Firebird BBC injected alcohol car that I parted out when our local track closed.

The saying "Racing is EXPENSIVE how fast do you want to go" comes to mind.

The faster your car does 1/4 Mi more requirements...

Lug studs, roll cage, battery cut out, scatter sheild or blanket, drive line loop, fire jacket or suit + gloves + shoes, helmet, belts etc.

You should get a NHRA requirement pocket book and see where you are at.

I'm just giving an insight into drag racing a fast car... I couldn't have done it without sponsors!

Wish You Luck!

Make no mistake It will be the most fun you will ever Have!

Your last sentence is exactly my motivation! To start I'm not looking to go real fast but I would be willing to bet that if the bug gets me it will come in time!

Having been there, done that, and I hate to go here, BUT, are you into old Mustangs or are you into racing? This can become a question. If I had it to do again, sadly, to be competitive, I would chose a different platform to build my car around. It just becomes a matter of costs and logistics.

Not saying you shouldn't do it with an old Mustang. But one night when your staging up you'll look over at the other guy and reality will begin to sink in.

That is a good point. Today I'm more into Mustangs and the car would double as a bracket car and weekend fun car. I am sure if I decided I needed to get serious I would pick a new car to be a dedicated racer.

After two only two seasons I managed loosen every bolt on the car, the frame was freeing itself from the floorboards enough that the damn back windows would pop out a bit, shock towers began to crack, the sheet metal was showing wavey patterns, blah, blah, blah... When I did return it to a more streetable version I was faced with so many little disasters I almost just ditched the whole thing. But here I am 26 years later trying to put it all back together (in a not original but period-correct appearing restomod way) and I still find an occasion reference to it's race days.

Around here, they have what is called "Flashlight

Drags", which is like street racing. Just 2 guys/gals going head to head for 1/8 mile for fun. Then the local track (a little farther) has "street night", 1/4 mile in your street car. Just weekend fun. Enough for me (for now!) and doesn't do any damage to the car. OR me.

Around here, they have what is called "Flashlight

Drags", which is like street racing. Just 2 guys/gals going head to head for 1/8 mile for fun. Then the local track (a little farther) has "street night", 1/4 mile in your street car. Just weekend fun. Enough for me (for now!) and doesn't do any damage to the car. OR me.

This sounds very much like how I would like to get started. Surely the Dallas area has something similar.

The "street racing" drags we have take place either at the local track or on airport runways. The FAA shut down all but 1 airport for that use a few years ago, though, so now we have to wait until the track has an event.

The airport (Waynesburg,Pa) usually gets 150-200 cars.

500hp is do able with a clevo for sure and a well sorted streeter would sit you nicely in that high 11 low twelve slot no worries.

He has all the vices I admire and none of the virtues I despise

Too bad the Mach race car that was for sale here is no longer on Cragslist. It would have had everything you needed minus the pile of money needed to be fast. The car was quite nice and street legal but built for the track.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

Too bad the Mach race car that was for sale here is no longer on Cragslist. It would have had everything you needed minus the pile of money needed to be fast. The car was quite nice and street legal but built for the track.

Our local track champion for years ran a 65 Falcon - 6 cly - Auto. He ran a 17.50 sec 1/4 mile every single time rain or shine. His garage has hundreds of little plastic trophies lining the walls.

Bracket racing is not about fast but about consistency.

He held the gas pedal to the floor, smoothly let off the brake when the 2nd light on the tree lit up and always cut a nearly perfect reaction time.

It was very difficult to race against him in a 12 second car because he would leave and I would be left sitting there waiting for my light for what seemed like FOREVER!

Our Super Gas car had to run as close to 9.80 without "breaking out" and both cars left at the same time. That was more fun to me but we had well over 50 grand invested in the that car when all was said and done.

I built several Super Comp, Pro Mod, and Top Sportsman engines for others - they run 8.80s and faster. They all had 75 to 100 grand tied up in their cars.

If you want a race only car for fun then buy one that someone else created but then got sick of the spending or just ran out of money. You will save huge money.

You could probably get this for around 17K.

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Ford-Mustang/47466

this is an old ad but prices have not changed much:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mustangs-sale-wanted-1978-older/1367690-fs-ft-1973-mach-1-pro-street-drag-race.html

Our local track is now a subdivision - very sad.

- Paul

Go to the track all the time...You can make some real cheap drag cars...Long as you keep under 10's the price is not really too crazy...Once run under 10's thou they will make you get a full cage, and has to be NHRA apoved and checked.. you can make plenty of street driveable fun cars up too that bracket...Go read the rules, You will mite find only a few things that make your car illegal for the track..Number 1 thing i see them find on peoples hot rods "that is not legal for the drag strip" is see thru glass fuel filters...Big no no on the track. Alot of people buy them for hot rods cars, and show up at the strip only to find out there fancy see thru fuel filter is the only thing that disqualifies them..lol

I think drag racing with a 17 second car sounds like lots of fun, not. I get the concept of bracket racing but super slow cars have no business on a drag strip in my opinion. The car in Memphis was street legal and said to be very fast by one of the members here. If you are going to race it might as well be fast. Building a race car can be expensive but buying someone elses might be a much better route to getting in done on a certain budget.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

defiantly buying a drag car ready to go is cheaper than building one but if you are picky it might be cheaper to build one. There are several tracks in the Dallas area and most have some sort of bracket or index racing that you can start out in. look these tracks up and go attend a few events and talk with some racers they will be glad to help someone out if it gets someone new into the sport. I would skip on the driving school I think for as slow as you are going to start out it will be a waste of money. I know Roy hill helps with licensing at his school but you wont need a license unless you run 9.99 or quicker. I would invest in an NHRA rule book, they are only like $15. Please don't spend you time getting around rules they are there for a reason, not to drain you pocket book. Running less than 12.00 there are not too many rules anyway. if you got any questions just PM me.