460 into 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last930

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1 project car
My son and I have started a restoration of a 71 Mach 1. Car currently has a non-running 351C with an Fmx trans from a 1969 Cougar; we have the original 351C in pieces also. We acquired a running 460 with a c6 automatic and are planning to use that, with a mild build; 500 hp is our goal. We'll probably sell off the 351's.

I am seeking advice on doing this swap- what's needed, etc, as well as thoughts on what parts to look for for the 460 - aluminum heads, intake, cam, exhaust.

Any advice and direction will be appreciated!

You can push a 460 off the endgate of your pick-up and it'll make 500 h.p. I'll let the guys with the numbers detail this thread out but having had one in my car I can tell you it's awesome. I built mine 25+ odd years ago when TRW only offered two different sets of forged pistons for them and there were but a handful of aftermarket parts around for them. A lot has changed since then and thats while I'll leave the details to the more current gearheads. However, I am going to build a big block for it again and I'm going to go along the the build in this link: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0906phr_big_block_ford_engine/viewall.html

This build is a little over the top for a driver but its a good example of what the engine is capable of and how flexible they have become for dialing in the h.p. you desire.

My son and I have started a restoration of a 71 Mach 1. Car currently has a non-running 351C with an Fmx trans from a 1969 Cougar; we have the original 351C in pieces also. We acquired a running 460 with a c6 automatic and are planning to use that, with a mild build; 500 hp is our goal. We'll probably sell off the 351's.

I am seeking advice on doing this swap- what's needed, etc, as well as thoughts on what parts to look for for the 460 - aluminum heads, intake, cam, exhaust.

Any advice and direction will be appreciated!
What year vehicle did the 460 come out of? Are you planning on rebuilding the bottom end or are you going to run the stock short block for now?

There is a Google search tool at the top of the page on the right. Type in "460 swap" and you will find many threads on what is needed to get the engine in the chassis. Take a look at those and see what the options are and then ask questions if you have any. The swap is very easy as these cars were designed to accommodate the 385 engine series.

Not to put the 460 down it's a great motor for going in a straight line..In other words don't expect much in the handling dept EVEN with installing all the 460 suspension parts sub frame connectors(you need to do that too)

I had an amazing 429/460 in my car.. was it cool yes..lots of wow factor that wore off real quick after about 30 minutes of driving..Installing the 460 takes a car that is already a tad nose heavy & makes it even more nose heavy..So unless your goal is just straight line driving I would advise against the swap. I dumped mine built up a nice 351c (you can do 400-450 all day long with very little work) The transformation is like night & day..The 351 will give you a nice balanced package thats a pleasure to drive with more than enough power it's all about power to weight ratio. See my build here http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-green-72-fastback-former-429-460

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-take-a-ride-in-the-72-video

The 460 is an '87 I believe; it's at an engine builder shop owned by a friend right now so I don't have access to the serial #.

I was thinking about using aluminum heads and intake, along with headers vs cast iron ex. manifolds, in order to keep the weight down. I don't really have sports car handling expectations; the goal would be a street driven car that would accelerate like crazy and be somewhat civilized. We're using a c6 auto trans so I'd like it to idle reasonably well.

As I don't know the condition of the internals other than it ran and has about 80k miles on it, I'm planning on a full rebuild.

I like the idea of using big displacement to achieve big low end torque ; that's what is most useable on the street in my experience.

I did the same swap 20 years ago on a limited budget. While the performance gain was nice Qcode351mach is correct. Performance was great but the handling was less than desired. Now I had no money for suspension changes or brakes but the engine took some of the fun of driving away for me. The front was too heavy. I had to be careful if I left the road to turn around as the car would get stuck very easy. It also did not brake well as my Mustang had drum brakes. If I planned this today, suspension and brakes upgrade would be top priority with using every means to lessen the weight on the front end. Getting rid of those anchor weight heads would be a good start. My 460 and transmission still sets in my garage today, 20 years after the fact.

To install and get running I had to change:

the motor mounts

adapter the power steering pump mount

shorter spacer on front fan

short rear shaft c6 transmission

Take a couple of inches off the drive shaft

adapted transmission shift linkage

headers

All of these problems of course can be corrected with enough money. I did not have the money to do the swap correctly.

I was thinking about using aluminum heads and intake, along with headers vs cast iron ex. manifolds, in order to keep the weight down. I don't really have sports car handling expectations; the goal would be a street driven car that would accelerate like crazy and be somewhat civilized. We're using a c6 auto trans so I'd like it to idle reasonably well.
I had all the aluminum parts you could possibly buy including kasse p-51 heads

Still drove like a dog..You can throw all the aluminum parts you want at it your not going to keep the weight down.. it's not going to make one difference your gonna get real tired real fast of having the nose want to keep going straight every time you hit a curve. Takes a major slow down..If you want brute torque build a 408 stroker you'd a least have the best of both worlds..Sounds like you have your mind made up best of luck with the build

Last edited by a moderator:
Back