Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 351C 4V
1968 Ford F-100 300 str6 3 sp
1999 Ford Contour sport V6 5sp
2000 Ford F350 4X4 7.3 turbo diesel dually
2000 Ford F150 4X4 5.7L
Hello every one. My name is Bill, I live in PA. I picked up a 1972 convertible w/ 351 2V FMX auto. I got it from a good friend of mine. When I first got the car April 2010 I drove it 2 hour home and around for the next 5 days (about 150 miles). Then inspection time, I new there was some body work needed but I would do that in the winter. Well it did not pass inspection, rust holes in the shock towers. The only way to fix it the right way was to pull the engine and start the restore then and I am still working on it. Engine is rebuilt with 4V heads with roller tip rockers. just need to finish the body. I have before and after pics of every thing I have done. I do not know how much more I should tell you all with out writing a book. I look forward to talking to you in here!

#7.jpg

#6.jpg

#4.jpg

#2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Bill!! and welcome!!... Dont worry, your problems are our problems so, you are at home in the rust world here :p

Well.. i saw your other post and i answer it there so, not much more to say... if you have pics.. we do use the show of pics as a tool here... everybody is willing to help so, keep coming and ask whatever you want cause always, somebody knows the answer ;)

Have a nice day!

Welcome to the forums! Post as much as you want! We're all ears!

Nice convertible...I have a 72 Coupe with the exact front and rear bumper guards! Very nice! Keep us posted!

::welcome::

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. Looks like a fun project car. There will be plenty of knowledgeable people here that can help, sadly I'm not one of the knowledgeable ones. :(

Look forward to watching the progress!:D

I found a lot of rust on it so I am cutting out the rust and welding in new metal. I can figure out what most of the pieces should look like but one area I do not. I found the support beam inside the outer and inner rocker panels is gone on the left side, also some of the floor. Does anyone know where I can get information on what it should look like and what gauge metal it is? any info would be great!! I have before and after photos of every thing I have done so far.

mustang work 001.JPG

mustang work 002.JPG

mustang work 004.JPG

Welcome, the car looks real straight. Ask your questions and you'll get answers from all around the world..
It is until I lift it up on the lift. The top of the doors open 3/16" The pic here is it up off the ground, you can see the opening. on the ground the markers I put on are touching. the engine is out of the car but the rear is still in.

mustang stuff 002.JPG

mustang stuff 001.JPG

Welcome Bill

Nice project.

It looks like a set of subframe connectors are in order.
yes, with the mods to the engine I will need them, but I need to fix this first. after I find out what support should be inside the rockers and make them/install them I should be able to lift the car with no movement. then comes the extra subframe connectors. If I can not find out what they are from the factory I will just have to install something I know will work. I am trying to restore stock with only bolt on mods!!!

Welcome Bill, great to see another convertible coming back to life. The Northeast played hell on these old cars, mine came out of the Buffalo district, at least what was left of it did.:D::welcome::

Marty

I found a lot of rust on it so I am cutting out the rust and welding in new metal. I can figure out what most of the pieces should look like but one area I do not. I found the support beam inside the outer and inner rocker panels is gone on the left side, also some of the floor. Does anyone know where I can get information on what it should look like and what gauge metal it is? any info would be great!! I have before and after photos of every thing I have done so far.
Whats gone is part of the inner rocker you can order them herehttp://shop.autocraftinvestments.com/index.php?p=product&id=103642&parent=2918

I would not jack or lift that car any further till you weld in some supports..You could be causing more damage..If you want to get it up:p Build a set of these(see picture) so it's supported at the wheels...But Before you do that you should get some angle iron( I use old bed frames) tack weld from the rear of the front frame extension to the back of the rear torque box area...I would do the same on the inside of the door jamb from the rear (remove the rear side panels) to the front hinge pillar like this http://www.accessiblesystems.com/mdb.phphttp://www.accessiblesystems.com/udb.php Your gonna need to measure the unibody on this car before you weld anything in place..with the fender gaps opening like they do when it jacked, it's a sure bet that the unibody is sagged when resting on the wheels..Putting in the rocker support isn't gonna do jack to keep the car from sagging /opening when you lift it..It's all gotta be put together as one piece with the frame at the correct measuring points set to spec & the only way to "HOLD" it there once in spec is with a brace system

Scott

Check out some of my videos here www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

2ro5onq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back