replacment alternator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Although I can't speak for this particular alternator, I'd believe all of the similarly priced early style would be sourced from offshore. They're hit and miss. If you're going for an all OE look, I'd give it a try. Price seems OK.

On my '90 Mustang, I replaced its poorly designed 2nd generation ("G2") alternator with a G6 from a 2000 Taurus. It was a used unit that I had on hand. It only required an internal regulator change, as the G6 has no less than 6 different regulator choices :-/. On that car, it was a bolt up affair, requiring a new charge lead and inline mega fuse to the battery. Benefits included a 90+ amp max output, internal fan, and correction of the potential known fire hazard that all of the G2 systems had (overheating harnesses due to corroded terminals and small charge wire(s).

Do a google search on "G2 alternator conversion" to get an idea. Most use a G3 to convert, but my on-hand G6 was a drop in deal in the Fox car.

When I complete my resto on the '71 it will have one of these compact, modern "one wire" upgrades done to it too. The ones shown use serpentine belt pulleys, so I'll have to research which alt to use to get standard V-belts to work.

There's no need for the big clunky '70's GM one wire conversions, especially when the Chebbie guys might point and giggle at you at cruise nights... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
if your going to use Rockauto.com use this Promo code at check out 23844946925306

copy and past it in the "how did you hear about us" and hit apply you will save 5%

I used this code last week when I bought my Shocks.

if your going to use Rockauto.com use this Promo code at check out 23844946925306

copy and past it in the "how did you hear about us" and hit apply you will save 5%

I used this code last week when I bought my Shocks.
Thanks for the info.

John J

When my alt craps out I was think of going with the "One Wire" Unit that goes for abt $100

It has a built-in regulator that way I can ditch the separate regulator and that part of the

harness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chrome-SB-Ford-1G-Style-110amp-1-Wire-Alternator-Mustang-289-302-351-V8-/121415646392?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1973|Make%3AFord|Model%3AMustang&hash=item1c44efbcb8&vxp=mtr

Make it known I don't care about concourse correctness.

Cheers

Paul

When my alt craps out I was think of going with the "One Wire" Unit that goes for abt $100

It has a built-in regulator that way I can ditch the separate regulator and that part of the

harness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chrome-SB-Ford-1G-Style-110amp-1-Wire-Alternator-Mustang-289-302-351-V8-/121415646392?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1973|Make%3AFord|Model%3AMustang&hash=item1c44efbcb8&vxp=mtr

Make it known I don't care about concourse correctness.

Cheers

Paul
The only down side to the 1 wire alternator is you have to give the engine one good rev after starting it to excite the alternator to start charging the battery, other than that I like the simplicity of it.

Why would u have to rev the engine to get it to charge?

Its just a chevy alt in ford skin and I never had to rev a chevy to get it to charge.

there is an issue there bro.

Note: looking back the built-in regulator was famous for being damaged by voltage spikes...

arcing jumping the battery jumping someone else etc.

Cheers

Paul

Why would u have to rev the engine to get it to charge?

Its just a chevy alt in ford skin and I never had to rev a chevy to get it to charge.

there is an issue there bro.

Note: looking back the built-in regulator was famous for being damaged by voltage spikes...

arcing jumping the battery jumping someone else etc.

Cheers

Paul
Nope, no issues that I am aware of. It is a tough stuff 1 wire alternator that I installed new on my 351w powered foxbody. I am not talking about a rev to the moon more like if I reach in the car and cold start it with no pedal the voltage guage will read 12.5ish volts, give it 1 quick stab of the pedal and the voltage will start reading 13.8ish volts from there on. It was my understanding that first initial rev was necessary to excite the alternator to start charging, I guess I must be mistaken:)

Interesting.

I don't doubt you I guess its really a non issue as when your driving it will charge.

I wonder what it would do if your idle was set higher say 1000?

would it still need a blip of the throttle?

Regards Paul

Interesting.

I don't doubt you I guess its really a non issue as when your driving it will charge.

I wonder what it would do if your idle was set higher say 1000?

would it still need a blip of the throttle?

Regards Paul
Hi Paul, the initial throttle blip is just the nature of the beast with the 1 wire alternator, this car has a pretty beefy comp cam in it and a higher idle setting has no impact on getting the alternator to excite, one quick rev to 1500 rpms and it is good to go. I initially thought something was up and an internet search put my worries to bed. I've been running that alternator for 5 years with no issuesl My 73 fastback is wired up just like Ford made it and I like it that way:)

You can run a 3G with a v-belt, no problem.

3galtvbelt_zps993522f0.jpg

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2011/11/01/hmn_tips2.html

Or if you want to stay original style, get a 60 amp 1g from an 80's Town car/LTD/Grand Marquis. That's what I'm putting on mine till I 3G it.

IMG_0751_zps2b0145f5.jpg

I pick up the one that NPD had. 56.00 bucks and it a 55 amp Motorcraft and it was remanufactured by Remy.They used to be a division of GM back when they where Delco Remy. Time will tell if if its any good. I will be installing it next week.

John J

Back