Sidewinder special

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
So I was out in the mustang and a bloke comes over and says I got 1 of them. I say a 73 and he says "no come around to my house sometime I have a sidewinder special" like I should know what that means. So people what are they and how will I know what to look for when I get there. Will google it when I get home late today.

Last edited by a moderator:
it appears to be a replica of the Twister Special down to every detail with the exception of the sticker on the quarter.

It would be interesting to see if this animal exist. It appears this is a live product or was. 2 years ago I had a chance to buy a Twister for 16,000 and I LET work get in the way...didn't go buy it...and been kicking myself since. If CJ's says it lived...then I guess I'm gonna believe it.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/variants/sidewinder-special-mustang/

1 of 40 ?? So it's a sport roof with stickers and mach options. So how can you tell if its one, if sombody painted 1 you would never know. I have been on so many goose chases before for rare cougars and the like, may be about to embark on another 1 lol

1 of 40 ?? So it's a sport roof with stickers and mach options. So how can you tell if its one, if sombody painted 1 you would never know. I have been on so goose chases before for rare cougars and the like may be about to embark on another 1 lol
I had a keeper Cougar...XR7 1970/351 car PERFECT interior that I posted in the old cars thread. It only had 35,000 actual miles been parked for 30 years. I got it running and then my buddy at NASA put the convertible up for sale. so the 65 ss and the Cougar had to go. Luke there is a Dan Gourney Special for sale and LOOKS GREAT. 12,000. I'll see if I can find it for you.

LUKEeeee in my best Darth Vader voice.....

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/4616362269.html

it appears to be a replica of the Twister Special down to every detail with the exception of the sticker on the quarter.

It would be interesting to see if this animal exist. It appears this is a live product or was. 2 years ago I had a chance to buy a Twister for 16,000 and I LET work get in the way...didn't go buy it...and been kicking myself since. If CJ's says it lived...then I guess I'm gonna believe it.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/variants/sidewinder-special-mustang/
I seen a twister special Torino at a auction when I was about 12-13. I thought that orange car was about the coolest thing I ever seen until about a month later when I seen a marina Blue 67 GS 400 now that is a sweet looking car. Had no idea how special either of these cars where until I was about 17 so I sure was happy that I got to see them

I passed on a 68 Shelby vert in 98 for $4500. It had all the original parts but needed some love. Lots of great cares that most of us passed on because we can't see into the future.

Well it appears ole Luke may just stumble on a prize. I sure hope so. I guess I'd rather pass on one, not knowing...than to OWN ONE and give it away which I've done on 1 occasion maybe 3

1960 Impala 348 factory 4spd

1964 Galaxie 390 bucket seats console

1956 Chebbie which received the 348 and 4spd from the Impala. So you can say I ruined one great car to build another great car and lost it due to being poor.

Well it appears ole Luke may just stumble on a prize. I sure hope so. I guess I'd rather pass on one, not knowing...than to OWN ONE and give it away which I've done on 1 occasion maybe 3

1960 Impala 348 factory 4spd

1964 Galaxie 390 bucket seats console

1956 Chebbie which received the 348 and 4spd from the Impala. So you can say I ruined one great car to build another great car and lost it due to being poor.
Oh I don't know. I think I can smell unicorn poo already or is it just good old bullshit :dodgy:

3 cool cars right there.

I sure hope it isn't a Unicorn. It would be sweet to find one. I found one car that as far as I know is known only by me and maybe 1 person outside the family. IF the old lady sells I WILL pursue it like a hawk. I want it bad enough that I've paced back and forth on whether to trade them my convertible!!!

a two owner 39 Ford Coupe. Its not a Twister or Mach I but one fine fine car. It is in such good condition, I ask the lady "when was it restored" and she responded "Honey that car is all original". they bought it back in the 70's from the original owner.

So here's to the you capturing a highly respected find. ::beer::

Unlike most collectors who are always looking for a low-production or limited-edition jewel...I follow a far more strict interpretation of what I feel to be an authentic collectible, and therfore what make it more valuable than the rest of the herd.

If it did not come from a Ford assembly line outfitted as such, then there is nothing special about any modifications done afterwards.

Twisters, Sidewinders, Mexican Shelbys..etc are all "non authentic" to me. I think the Cali Specials were done by Ford, so those are "real" to me.

The rest...no big deal.

Unlike most collectors who are always looking for a low-production or limited-edition jewel...I follow a far more strict interpretation of what I feel to be an authentic collectible, and therfore what make it more valuable than the rest of the herd.

If it did not come from a Ford assembly line outfitted as such, then there is nothing special about any modifications done afterwards.

Twisters, Sidewinders, Mexican Shelbys..etc are all "non authentic" to me. I think the Cali Specials were done by Ford, so those are "real" to me.

The rest...no big deal.
hmmm I seem to recall a similar conversation where you stated a low production car even factory issue was " not" valuable unless it met "your" motor and tranny spec's theory. One of my cars is an authentic FORD PRODUCTION LINE product with a low production number so NOW your saying my car has more value. COOL!!!! I feel vindicated

The rest...no big deal.
Most interesting topic, whist I tend to agree and would much sooner have a boss, ho or 429 car than a base fastback with a sticker. Many out there would suggest that these 1 of 40 sticker specials are rarer and more desirable. What's your opinion on legend cars like Royal Pontiac or Yenko, Mr Norm, Tasker and Baldwin motion or some of the wilder stage cars that came with cam and heads in the trunk. It seem that we move into slightly murky water with some of these. Here in Aus a ford director ordered a Black XW GT with a 428 and a XY GT HO with and Auto (think Boss spec engine with an auto) as well as many other unique cars that for the most came down the line, but some of the drive lines where installed in house at ford but not on the line. My argument is that these are not factory as claimed but akin to dealer installed options a statement that has almost got me hung by the ford purists

Some dealer installed options will bring cash..I would not turn my nose up at a Tasca Ford 68 shelby with a 427 FE, Or the holman Moody version if i was lucky enough to find one..Some of these odd ball dealer packages will turn some coin, Long as they are documented and from a well known dealership.

That being said, I do not think the funky dealer installed vinyl tops and stuff like that, will bring much of anything. Needs to be more than just rare, has to be popular too.

Yenko and Baldwin Montion vehicles would pass the test for me, seeing as how they were COPO ordered from the factory, with GMs knowledge of what they were intended for. The mechanical oddities were assembled at the factory, or on factory-adjacent small assembly lines. Boss 429 comes to mind, as do Shelby Mustangs.

But as said above, a decal placed on an otherwise completely stock and full regular production vehicle isn't really a candidate for "special" to me.

It is not an exacting opinion, but I think most get what I mean.

For example: the "Frank Cone Special Editions"? Not so special to me...

Somebody call a lawyer...these dealers have been infringing on Ford's rights for these non-original factory cars.
May I recommend the Honourable Dr Gonzo Sir

24g5apk.jpg
[/img]

Ps. when I first read fear and loathing it scared the crap outta me. Only because when I finished it I found out it was a work of fiction I thought it was a biography of sorts as my life looked eerily similar,it was about then I decided I may be living too hard.

Back