electronic voltage regulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parforever

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I want to put in an electronic voltage regulator in my 71. The catch is I want it to look original. Anybody know if this is possible?

The concours folks do this all the time: remove the case rivets and re-use the old housing.

I want to put in an electronic voltage regulator in my 71. The catch is I want it to look original. Anybody know if this is possible?
Well, what I did, I took the brand new electronic V/R and painted it ford drk blue.I then place the yellow letters autolite sticker. If you are doing a concours restoration you will have to remove the old cover or get one from the junkyard and put it on the new electronic V/R base.

First you have to check which one came originally with your car if you don't have the old original one.

There you have a good overview about the actual reproductions and which depends on which period:

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp?pcid=3&L1=Electrical&L2=Voltage%20Regulators

All the actual reproductions are fully electronical and not electro magnetical anymore as the original ones. The housing does not need to be as big as the old ones because of the new smaller electronics. But bigger is more vintage and concourse style so they do them the old way from the outside ;)

There are a lot other types of elctronic regulators which also have a plain colored and flatter dimensioned housing. These you also could use as I did before and change the inner electronics.

As the others have mentioned you can reuse your old or another old housing if you want it looking THAT concourse. But I think the finished reproductions aren't that bad...

All you have to do is to drill out the two rivets of the housing holding the cover on. Take your original cover and don't forget the original gasket. The original screws had to thread right into the holes left from the rivets of the new one. The base should be the same size and shape.

Tim

Back