Feedback on 1971 M-code I am looking at

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
If you have been following my posts I have been looking for a Mach 1. I test drove one today. This one is in excellent shape, better than what I was looking for. However, it is in my neck of the woods, which is a plus. I did not find any rust issues, runs great, all seems to work, A/C fine, paint and interior in pristine shape. Owner had it for 12 years and drove it only to shows. It was kept covered on a lift inside a heated garage for all those years. Paint and restoration is from 12-years ago.

The 5-digits of the VIN are 1T05M. Even though it is an M-code, it has a functional RAM-air option. M-codes supposedly didn't come with RAM-air so I don't know if it was added. All the vacuum lines are there.

It has a C6 trans.

Please look at the pictures and let me know. Can you give me a ball-park range of how much I should offer for it?

Thank you.

IMG_20130618_165837_409.jpg

IMG_20130618_165927_476.jpg

IMG_20130618_165946_101.jpg

IMG_20140826_162847511.jpg

IMG_20140826_162937372_HDR.jpg

IMG_20130618_170201_061.jpg

IMG_20130820_125401_825.jpg

IMG_20130828_140619_693.jpg

That sure looks like a very impressive car. For my tastes it is a little over-restored.

If you like the non original extras - then you are willing to pay for them.

All mods I see are not too far out. I'd be surprised if it could be bought for less than $24 but I am assuming it is solid and doesn't need much.

Sure would want to see the invoice and/or Marti report.

Ray

The M codes could indeed come with factory ram air. It wasn't until 72 that the ram air could only come on the 2v engines. Hard to say from pictures on the price. What is he asking?

You have to decide if your looking for an all original car or one just nicely done and mods aren't a problem if done correctly. If you want an all original car then you get into matching numbers etc. This is probably not the original type car with the frame welds done.

Things I see as non original are mud flaps, traction bars hooked or welded on rear end, cross member welded to frame near H pipe and some type of other frame mods welded in.

Here is the book on this car...

1971 Ford Mustang Mach_1 351-240hp (8cyl-2V) AT

#5 #4 #3 #2 #1

2dr Fastback 2125 6925 15175 21650 34150

Add:

351-285hp (8cyl-4V) 10%

429-370hp (8cyl-4V) 55%

4spd manual trans 10%

Air conditioning 10%

Gauge package 5%

Magnum 500 wheels 5%

Interior decor grp 5%

Center console 3%

Deduct:

302-210hp (8cyl-2V) -10%

3spd manual transmission -10%

Manual steering -5%

Drum brakes -5%

Plain hood -5%

Condition Guidelines

#1 Excellent: A close to perfect original or a very well restored vehicle. Generally a body-off restoration, but a well done body-on restoration that has been extensively detailed may qualify. The vehicle is stunning to look at and any flaws are trivial and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, NOS, or excellent quality reproductions. Note: cost no object concours restorations should be considered 1+ condition.

#2 Very Good: An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

#5 Poor: In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run. Not roadworthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
$20k is on the high side for it; that's almost "perfection" territory.

These are the issues that jump out at me. Some are personal preference, some aren't:

• Stripe kit on a car that never had stripes (note lower brightwork molding)
  • Wheel arch chrome (not on Machs)
  • Rear spoiler isn't original, or they wouldn't have drilled mounting holes that sit way too far back
  • These cars do have bad fit from factory, but why is the left side of the hood adjusted so low?
  • Left fender sticks out too far at the bottom (throwing the rest of it's fit off); probably an easy adjustment, but I don't expect to do this for $20k
  • Boss 351 spoiler in front
  • Is the trans spitting fluid onto the H-pipe area, or is that just rust?
  • Sticking a Coupe/Grande-spec trunk mat in a Mach is the evil by which bad trunk floor repairs are hidden.
  • 351C with 2-core radiator for a 302 car
  • Chromed shock tower tops + black supports (odd, as the hinges are slop grey)
  • New A/C lines in blue - that's fine, but if they put R134A in it, that original compressor will never be able to blow as cold as a new aluminum unit painted black to "fit in." Depends how much you want originality vs. usability here.

-Kurt

20k on that car is not unreasonable just from the no rust repair issues you'd have to deal with on a car less complete..It looks really nice well cared for..So right off the get go you'd have a car you could get in drive enjoy..Rust..body work..paint are the largest expense in any restoration..Unless you have to have a concourse car I'd say go for it ..It's all minor stuff you could peck away at over time if you want to put it back to factory..Any where in the 15-20 range is more than fair based on your description pictures..I'd start at 15 go from there..

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I don't care for a car that is perfect since I will be making non-OEM mods of my own. After reading the book value description I think the car is a good+. I said excellent in comparison to what you find up here, which they always have rust.

[*]351C with 2-core radiator for a 302 car
Kurt, can you please expand on this one a little more. Does that radiator work for a 351 or will it be too small?

[*]New A/C lines in blue - that's fine, but if they put R134A in it, that original compressor will never be able to blow as cold as a new aluminum unit painted black to "fit in." Depends how much you want originality vs. usability here.
He did mentioned that the A/C was recently fixed/service, but I may have to ask what refrigerant they used.

A question. Do those cross-beams under the car by the tail pipe cross-over original? or why will they be added?

[*]351C with 2-core radiator for a 302 car
Kurt, can you please expand on this one a little more. Does that radiator work for a 351 or will it be too small?

A question. Do those cross-beams under the car by the tail pipe cross-over original? or why will they be added?
Those cross beams are not stock, they would have been added to help chassis stiffness. Not an uncommon modification. Looks like a home grown set-up since there really isn't anything out there off the shelf for our cars.

I'm curious about Kurt's comment as well.

All in all, a real looker of a car! I would take a peak under that trunk mat though. Very odd that they would cover the little hold points for the trap door with the mat. Otherwise it looks really clean!

Odd to see staggered shocks on a 2-barrel car: The "Competiton Suspension" did not come with staggered shocks unless a 4-V engine was installed.

Or maybe....only the 302-2v mach 1s got the non staggered "competiton suspension"?

Odd to see staggered shocks on a 2-barrel car: The "Competiton Suspension" did not come with staggered shocks unless a 4-V engine was installed.

Or maybe....only the 302-2v mach 1s got the non staggered "competiton suspension"?
This is an M-code, 4V car.

Good lookin' car, Tony! ::thumb:: I hope you can find the deal you need to pick it up - it looks solid enough.

I think a lot of folks associated "non-stripe" (i.e., rocker trim) with H-Code cars (351-2V). Seeing the stripes and the trim together speak to the stripes being added later.

The only thing that would bug me about buying an "over-restored" car (is there really such a thing?) is if it were 'too nice' - I'd never want to drive it for fear of losing any kind of investment value. I actually passed on a faithfully restored M-Code version of mine (pewter & black Mach 1, automatic, deluxe interior, 351C-4V) shortly after I bought it - I'd considered just buying the fully-restored car and scrapping mine. But once I looked it over in-person, I decided against it because of the all the plans I had: cosmetically period-correct restomod with modern "hidden" features. I would've felt bad "messing with" a perfectly good show-quality car... and I didn't restore mine to simply park it in the garage, after all. Plus, since mine's "just an H-Code," it's not like I've been hacking up a particularly rare or valuable piece of history or anything. ;)

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong in getting this car... I just hope you can get the best deal for you. Keep us posted. :D

I ended closing the deal for $xx,000, including the Hanmecson portable garage lift the guy had (similar to this one http://www.hanmecsonlift.com/HPMR6000.asp). This lift is awesome and can handle up to 6,000 lbs. It will make my life easier with the Mach 1 and with my current cars. I am also getting the car cover, an extra tire and some spare gauges and mirrors.

Thanks for those that PM me with their cars for sale. This one is a little above my budget, but it is in great shape and don't need to deal with shipping a car cross country and all the complications that come with.

Now my participation in this forum will shift from a Mach 1 want-a-be to a Mach 1 owner.

EXCELLENT NEWS!! Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new Mach 1! ::thumb::

Good job, and post up some more pics!! :D :D :D

Congrats Tony... she looks like a real beauty and also very familiar!!

All kidding aside, looks like a great car for a very reasonable price. Good score! I don't think I would have let that go for $19K...

Congrats Tony... she looks like a real beauty and also very familiar!!

All kidding aside, looks like a great car for a very reasonable price. Good score! I don't think I would have let that go for $19K...
Yeah, same colors as yours. I love this color...

Back