Oddly optioned 4-speed Mach 1 just purchased last night Good score for me.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 M code ram air 4-speed(Sold)
71 coupe 351 4V ram air C-6(Sold)
(2)70 mach 1's one H code one M code both autos(Sold M-code)
71 ranchero M code shaker loaded with options but is base ranchero
71 cougar XR7 convert M code
71 M-code standard low option fastback factory Grabber green.(future Boss 351 clone)
This car to start explaining has a 94 D.S.O. (export) It is an M-code 4-speed Code 9 (3.25 open) rear. pewter w/stripes. No ram air (have build sheet) No A/C, No power brakes, does have power steering, power windows, console, tach and gauges, tilt wheel, rim blow, deluxe interior, convenience group, deluxe belts w/warning light, fold down, Am radio, and lastly factory Magnum 500's w/ one center cap still on it.

It has been sitting here in Ut. since 2000 but sat in Colo. for who knows how long before that. I have a Iowa title from 1989 then a Colo. registration from 1993.

I also have more original paperwork the owners maual,operating features,warranty facts booklet, and a paper from ford talking about the 90 day break in coverage with the data plate and dealer code (72H407) info on it and best of all the original purchasers name and date! 8/11/71 I will try to post some pics.

1971 Mach 1.jpg

1971 mach 1 center interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm jealous... '71 Mach 1 pewter and black in Utah!! Wish it was me (grew up in Sandy).

Congrats! ::thumb::

Nice catch! With all those options and no air conditioning, I would suspect it was destined for a cooler climate. Just a guess but another idea would be that many in those days did not want a high performance vehicle with A/C as it robbed the engine of too much power and added a lot of extra weight...

The Marti will be interesting on that one!

I hope you restore it back to its original glory.

Ray

Looks like a very worthwhile car for a restoration. Is that a tilt steering wheel?

That will be one sweet machine when you get it done.
Yes Mike 73 that is tilt you see. I hope to restore it in the next few years, I have missed my red 4-speed car since I sold it to Don65 I should have kept it! But life goes on. I have to finish my 70 Mach 1 before this one. But I couldn't pass it up for the price.

I found this in Clinton So.west of Ogden Mister 4X4 I did construction on that same street a few years ago and had no idea it was there, it was behind his house.

Will E you could get air with a 4-speed but they limited you to a 3.25 gear in hopes it wouldn't be spun to hard all the time.

The power windows all work if you can believe that! It has been wrecked the front clip has been replaced, needs all 4 aprons done, the tilt is stripped on the teeth, the floors and trunk appear to be solid from underneath but I cant open the trunk right now. No key for it fortunately it has the glove box lock so I can take that to a locksmith. The magnums I discovered this morning are mismatched 2 14 2 15 inch I didn't see that in the dark UGH, the original carb is missing at present, may be in the trunk he said there are parts in there. it still has the original distributor though for 4-speed. it also has correct shift knob with the H pattern on top. the underhood light is still there in good shape, overall very nice mostly survivor car.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

1971 mach 1 engine.jpg

1971 mach 1pic.jpg

1971 mach 1 steering wheel.jpg

Wow,

That is an oddly optioned car! I might understand why someone might not check off the air conditioner option but I can't help but think their failure to check the box for power brakes might have been a mistake or an oversight of the dealer in not ordering the car with the power brakes.

Looks like another great car is going to live yet again! You guys deserve life saving awards for bringing these cars back from the dead.

Can't wait to see the Marti Report as well. Hope you will post it.

That is an oddly optioned car! I might understand why someone might not check off the air conditioner option but I can't help but think their failure to check the box for power brakes might have been a mistake or an oversight of the dealer in not ordering the car with the power brakes.
Been done before:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-q-code-4-speed-coupe-one-of-162-not-mine-vin-2f01q239431

Eeeeek! <-The sound of both brakes and driver when they realize what they got into ;)

-Kurt

I suppose I should LOL...that I've searched EVERY weekend for a 71 with POWER WINDOWS for 3 almost 4 years. I've searched nearly EVERY state...over and over. Sir my hat is off to you.
When they are found it is in the last place you look. Just some words of wisdom for you. Oh yeah, when you finally found what your looking for they seem to be all over the place when you already bought it!

I suppose I should LOL...that I've searched EVERY weekend for a 71 with POWER WINDOWS for 3 almost 4 years. I've searched nearly EVERY state...over and over. Sir my hat is off to you.
When they are found it is in the last place you look. Just some words of wisdom for you. Oh yeah, when you finally found what your looking for they seem to be all over the place when you already bought it!
all over the place? I hope this is a metaphor. they only made 1600. that is what 32 per STATE in 1971.

I was planning to put my power window setup in my Grabber Green Boss clone because I have wanted a loaded fastback forever, I have almost every option available for one of these. So this one will be completely loaadedd!! It will have PDB for sure my first 72 Mach 1 I bought in 1985 had drum brakes on it and I hated them. They are so touchy!

Thanks for the positive comments it is very exciting to find stuff like that! It is almost like a adrenaline high! I was out til 11:30 last night with the wife and kids all groaning they wanted to go home, but I couldn't get the owner to stop talking about the car. I was also having too much fun talking about these cars too!

I have to mention it hasn't run since 1999 because it wouldn't do anything when you turn the key so he never tried again, well I spent about 30 minutes checking it out and discovered the key switch is bad so I just used the old screw driver on the solenoid and some gas down the carb trick and it started. No smoke no anything I only ran it for the few seconds though so as to not hurt the engine to much before I can get it lubed inside with some oil in cylinders and change the oil.

Back