1971 Frank Cone GT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the bidding got to 30k. I think that is exactly what it is worth today. The owner thinks they have something special enough to warrant a premium but they don't.

Still a great looking car. Not $65K worth (IMHO), but a beautiful car, nonetheless. ::thumb::

I think if I were to buy it (at a fair price, of course), I'd probably lose the Frank Cone identifiers and just have a nice '71 'vert. No offense to Frank Cone, but I don't believe a non-Ford-sanctioned dealership installed options package is worth adding anything more.

Good looking car. I guess these will now appear in their hundreds for stupid money. Oh and didn't Yenko just exploit Copo to have the cars come down the line in essence a factory car not a dealer special.

Looks like the bidding got to 30k. I think that is exactly what it is worth today. The owner thinks they have something special enough to warrant a premium but they don't.
Hardly a single one has brought $30k in the Mecum spreadsheet posted here to the forum.

$20-21k at tops, IMO - and that's preferably with a different color. Even though I'm a sucker for 1970's tackiness, the brown metallic and black stripes are not attractive on this car.

Just to recap from the previous thread: The things added by Frank Cone Ford to this car (either dealer-added and/or billed for twice as it was provided from factory) are:

• Functional Ram Air, not listed on the original Ford invoice. Whether the new repaint on the hood was also the case on the car as Cone prepped it may not be known, unless pre-restoration photos are available.
  • The "Sports" interior package, which consists of the instrumentation group (which is the only thing relating to this packaged not on the Ford invoice), and the Deluxe interior w/console, which was installed and billed from the factory due to the addition of the Decor Group.
  • Competition suspension and a sway bar, which is not listed on the Ford invoice. My bet is that the "competition suspension" package WAS the sway bar billed twice, as I doubt the dealer bothered to weld in the staggered shock upper receiver box to the bottom of the trunk.
  • A rear spoiler, not listed on the original Ford invoice and impossible to get on a stock convertible.
  • The Boss front valance spoiler, not listed on the original Ford invoice and impossible to get on a stock convertible.
  • Labor costs

Sometime during the restoration, the following modifications - which were presumably not on the car when Cone did his own "modifications" to it, as they are not listed on the already dodgy, faked paperwork - were executed:

• Vinyl side stripes
  • Two-tone NACA hood paint and "351 RAM AIR" decals
  • Protection package trim deleted from bodyside and holes filled up
  • White top substituted with aftermarket tan
  • Wheel covers - no longer present due to substitution of new Magnum 500's
  • Rear speakers

I still harbor significante doubt whether Frank Cone Ford actually modified this car to begin with, or if the owner thought that it would be a profitable scam to invent a Frank Cone edition based on the car's original documentation, fake an additional paper, and have a pair of FC/GT decals made up to slap on the fender. Much more likely, IMO, seeing that all the original paperwork survives, but no proof of a "Frank Cone" edition exists other than the fake document.

I think it is interesting that he compares it to a Yanko.
You never know what to expect out of these sellers. Most of them are real Yankers.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
http://annualmobiles.blogspot.com/2013/06/frank-cone-ford.html

I'm wondering if the seller is this anonymous poster:

Frank Cone was a trusted Ford dealer for years, and was most nowen for his dealer package cars, such as the 3, 71 Mustang convertibles he had made special from the factory. these cars were not in the ford registry, but were made as the first GT with the 351 Cleveland, ram air and all the extras. if you find one of these , - "buy it" they are very rare

http://annualmobiles.blogspot.com/2013/06/frank-cone-ford.html

I'm wondering if the seller is this anonymous poster:

Frank Cone was a trusted Ford dealer for years, and was most nowen for his dealer package cars, such as the 3, 71 Mustang convertibles he had made special from the factory. these cars were not in the ford registry, but were made as the first GT with the 351 Cleveland, ram air and all the extras. if you find one of these , - "buy it" they are very rare
Of course any car that has added mods from the dealer are rare, but doesn't mean $65,000 rare.

I've been sweating the seller out:

Dear cardamon10,
Can you provide any documentation from Frank Cone Ford to authenticate the originality of this package?

Yes, the arm chair order sheet, and window sticker are in with photos here, as we said there were no Mach 1 convertibles made but this one is, but Ford wouldn't grant a Mach 1 declaration, but would give the GT name to it.

In fact here is (owner's name) number, he is the original owner please give him a call, he can explain. - (NUMBER)

thank you

Dear cardamon10,
I'm only interested in the investment of this example if it has suitable paper documentation from the dealership substantiating the package.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of that arm chair/arm rest order sheet; that would be of interest, as the the window sticker was only partially printed in the 1970's; the text was added later.

Let me know.

Dear cudak,
This is what the original owner says:-

This guy is wrong about the font. Arial font has been around since the first electric typewriters were in use sixty years ago. The Frank Cone Ford dealer added package document was prepared by the dealership and is not a FoMoCo Corporate document and is probably why the type font doesn't match. All of the service receipts and other maintenance documents were printed out on the same type of printer using roll punched paper and the font matches. This was the type of equipment used 45 years ago. There is no way to absolutely prove the existence of Frank Cone Ford's sales program other then what was found in the vehicle. The special equipment on the subject car could have been ordered for any Mustang convertible in 1971. The fact that Frank Cone used the package as a marketing scheme does not make these cars more unusual in my opinion. You could not buy a Mock One convertible so Frank Cone created the dealer optioned GT. As far as having the subject car MCA judged, the Frank Cone Ford marketing scheme, to help sell these cars, would not in any way affect this excellent example of a beautiful survivor Mustang in a MCA judging. In this case, this fine old Mustang tells it's on story about how well it has been cared for and maintained over the years. The only way to demonstrate this fact is to see and drive the car first hand. As all car guys know, all old cars have a story to tell that is handed down from owner to owner. The car itself tells the story the best. This Mustang has never been wrecked or mistreated and has always been owned by adults that loved and cared for it up to the day we sold the car. The car would not have been sold then if I would have had a son, daughter or grand kids that I could have left it to.

Dear cardamon10,
I can see that I am not compatible with the person who owns this car. Not only is his claim about the Arial font untrue (Google Monotype's ownership of the font if any doubt), the font is unquestionably Arial; it is not a similar font produced prior to it.

What's more - and I realized this only after doing some research comparing the Marti with the list of dealer modifications - I never knew continuous form paper to have uneven, unequal holes. Compare the Cone Ford document with the window sticker. There's no way you could have fed that paper through a dot matrix or line printer and expected it to print right.

To hear him describe it, one would think that this car is no more special than any other 1971 M-code. I'm inclined to believe it at this point.

I thank you for your time, but I'm going to put my efforts towards finding a more unique example with greater collector interest and value.
Looks as if it's in the hands of some broker/dealer who is marginally more honest than the owner.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back