Custom Paint Job Magazine Cover

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
High Performance Cars 1972 (June?) edition

Dig the groovy paint job!!! wow

High Performance Cars 1972.JPG

Reminds me of seeing many similar paint jobs on cars and custom vans back in the day...

Ray

Might be a bit much for a car but great for a bike.

Reminds me of one from my neighborhood when growing up. Known as the "Sundowner" Mach 1 to everyone it was painted a purple/maroon color with a paisley stripe down the side that crossed over the roof. The decklid had a sunset painted on it with the "Sundowner" name and the hood had a tapestry of a sunset on a lake.

One of my classmates had the car given to him for his 16th birthday. When his parents took it to a speed shop to have the engine overhauled before giving it to him, they discovered it was a Boss 351. I went to look at it after the rebuild. Yep, and original R code with yellow paint and stripe terminations in the door jambs. Perfect Mach 1 carpet under the purple shag carpet, and the 4-speed had been replaced by an automatic. Apparently a previous owner had "fixed it up" for his daughter in the 70's , removing the manual setup and painting it in a scheme his daughter would appreciate.

I tried to work a deal for the car with my friend. He said "no thanks" he wanted to keep it. 6 Months later he traded it to a budget car lot for a chevy 4x4 truck. I never did see the car again.

+1 probably repainted years ago
Unfortunate. These airbrush jobs are a bit of history in their own right, and though you can homage them, you can't replicate them.

Repainting it is something akin to restoring a wrecked movie car. All of a sudden, it's no longer identifiable as being the unique thing it is/was.

-Kurt

+1 probably repainted years ago
Unfortunate. These airbrush jobs are a bit of history in their own right, and though you can homage them, you can't replicate them.

Repainting it is something akin to restoring a wrecked movie car. All of a sudden, it's no longer identifiable as being the unique thing it is/was.

-Kurt
I meant that someone probably stripped that paint off and painted it red or something

I think the paint is cool! That paint job is 42 years old and is a work of art! I dont know about the cars exist these days, but if I had the chance to buy it I would have keeped it in that color! There are not many left out there who can do a airbrush job like that :)

Back