Head lights failed low beam only

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Driving my car last night and the head lights started to flicker. Then low beam headlights both died. High beams work fine and all the other exterior lights work fine.

I have new headlight switch. I bought a motorcraft one 2 years ago The voltage reguator was replaced 2 years ago. The altenators a month old. What happen .:mad: I am going to dive into this on saturday.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the wattage of your headlights?

Brighter headlights overload the switch and cause flickering.

Stock is 35watt/55watt.

To stop flickering with more powerful headlights you need a relay kit. The kit uses the switch to power external relays that draw power directly from the battery instead of through the headlights switch.

Driving my car last night and the head lights started to flicker. The low beam headlights both died. High beams work fine and all the other exterior lights work fine.

I have new headlight switch. I bought a motorcraft one 2 years. The voltage reguator was replaced 2 years ago. The altenators a month old. What happen .:mad: I am going to dive into this on saturday.

John J

The circuit runs to the dimmer switch after it leaves the headlight switch. At the dimmer, the circuit can take the path to the low beam elements or it can take the path to the high beam elements. So if you have one, but not the other? The problem is your dimmer switch. That is unless both lamps burnt out at the same time. Not likely. Now there is a chance that the wire has failed between the dimmer and the drivers side headlight, but not very likely. I'd try another dimmer switch first. Good luck.

What is the wattage of your headlights?

Brighter headlights overload the switch and cause flickering.

Stock is 35watt/55watt.

To stop flickering with more powerful headlights you need a relay kit. The kit uses the switch to power external relays that draw power directly from the battery instead of through the headlights switch.

There stock head lights.

John J

Driving my car last night and the head lights started to flicker. The low beam headlights both died. High beams work fine and all the other exterior lights work fine.

I have new headlight switch. I bought a motorcraft one 2 years. The voltage reguator was replaced 2 years ago. The altenators a month old. What happen .:mad: I am going to dive into this on saturday.

John J

stock with the ford logo on them?

replacement headlights can be 45-55/65-85 watt these will overload.

i went through this some years ago with flickering headlights i had to buy reproduction ford official logo headlights with the 35/55 rating on them.

if you have halogen replacements even old ones they can overload the switch. a newer switch will be less sensitive to flicker because the bimetal switch inside for overload will not have flexed as much as an older one. however within a couple of months of night driving with higher wattage headlights the flicking will start again.

it depends what you want with night lighting if you want them as bright as modern lights then you need a relay kit.

something like this.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=500403+01

basically you tap into the headlights switch so when the headlights are activated from the headlights switch it actives a relay that pops main battery power directly to the headlights, that keeps the load off the headlights overload switch and allows you to use any wattage you want for main lights.

The circuit runs to the dimmer switch after it leaves the headlight switch. At the dimmer, the circuit can take the path to the low beam elements or it can take the path to the high beam elements. So if you have one, but not the other? The problem is your dimmer switch. That is unless both lamps burnt out at the same time. Not likely. Now there is a chance that the wire has failed between the dimmer and the drivers side headlight, but not very likely. I'd try another dimmer switch first. Good luck.
+1

stock with the ford logo on them?

replacement headlights can be 45-55/65-85 watt these will overload.

i went through this some years ago with flickering headlights i had to buy reproduction ford official logo headlights with the 35/55 rating on them.

if you have halogen replacements even old ones they can overload the switch. a newer switch will be less sensitive to flicker because the bimetal switch inside for overload will not have flexed as much as an older one. however within a couple of months of night driving with higher wattage headlights the flicking will start again.

it depends what you want with night lighting if you want them as bright as modern lights then you need a relay kit.

something like this.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=500403+01

basically you tap into the headlights switch so when the headlights are activated from the headlights switch it actives a relay that pops main battery power directly to the headlights, that keeps the load off the headlights overload switch and allows you to use any wattage you want for main lights.
I used this kit from RCCI (Full kit, 2 relays) and running halogen lights. Simple installation and I didn't have to modify the wiring or build my own connector plugs. Just plug the connector for the headlight to the relay and the connector from the relay to the headlight. All that was required then was to run a single power line from the relay to the battery. Everything needed was included in the kit including the CB.

http://rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-hrk-all

I just checked the voltage at each light and it good. I installed new headlights and they both work now on low beam. What could cause them both to fail at the same time low beam only. I was using scott drake ford logo 7 inch round halogen. I put back in the sylvania halogen bulbs that where in the car when i bought and they work fine. What could have cause them to fail at the same time. ??? Are the scott drake bulbs junk ???

John J

I've had one scott drake light go out on me also, lost the low beam one night and had to run high beams to see the road.

the lights were not that old and i did not night drive much at the time. the lights are made in china i'm sure the quality isn't that great.

I would suspect intermittant failure of the dimmer switch, I have experienced your exact symptom before.

Latest posts

Back